No boot with GPU and iGPU

Author
Sasa
New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I have a NVidia GPU and Intel iGPU (10700K). When iGPU isn't set as first GPU in UEFI, rescue media will stop booting after a few second (animation stops). If I set iGPU as first one, rescue media boots fine.
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)
Can you post a screenshot of this interface where you configure your GPU priority, or a link to your system/motherboard documentation that discusses it?  And what version of WinPE or WinRE is your Rescue Media using?  That's shown in the title bar along the very top of the Rescue interface.

Sasa
Sasa
New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)
jphughan - 4 May 2021 8:21 PM
Can you post a screenshot of this interface where you configure your GPU priority, or a link to your system/motherboard documentation that discusses it?  And what version of WinPE or WinRE is your Rescue Media using?  That's shown in the title bar along the very top of the Rescue interface.
Hi,

I use WinPE 10.1709 and Asus Z490-G mainboard, main monitor is connected to NVidia, 2nd monitor to iGPU.

I've to set primary graphics to CPU, all others causes boot-stop. Menu looks like this:

Edited 5 May 2021 7:32 PM by Sasa
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)
That photo doesn't even show the name of the setting, only the possible options, and in this context I'm also not sure what the difference is between PCIe and PEG, since the latter stands for "PCI Express Graphics".  One thing you could try would be using WinRE for your Rescue Media instead of WinPE 10.  If you're running the latest version of Windows 10 on your system, then WinRE will build Rescue Media using a newer kernel, and in this case a newer kernel might have a fix for this issue.

Sasa
Sasa
I'll try WinRE.

BTW UEFI-entry is called "enhanced > system agent configuration > primary graphics".
Edited 5 May 2021 10:08 PM by Sasa
Sasa
Sasa
My Windows 10-PC doesn't offer WinRE in menu, on my Surface it's available. How to install?
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
When you go to Rescue Media Builder, click Advanced and go to the “Choose Base WIM” tab. You should see WinRE at the top of that list as long as you’re using Reflect 7.2 or newer. If it’s completely missing, it might be because you don’t have WinRE files on your system. Those can be extracted from Windows 10 installation media, but you would have to mount the install.wim file and browse to \Windows\System32\Recovery and copy the Winre.wim file there to that folder on your actual system.
Sasa
Sasa
As said, on Workstation it's not available, also not in Recovery.

For testing I installed Windows 21H2 dev, after WinRE was available. And it now works with GPU set not to iGPU! Thanks.
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Glad you've got a fix, although I'm not sure why WinRE isn't available.  It's part of any default Windows installation, in fact you should actually have a separate Windows Recovery partition on your disk.  Normally the Winre.wim file I mentioned above gets moved over to that partition while Windows is being installed, and when you install an update to a new Windows 10 release, the WinRE environment is updated or created if it doesn't exist.  So if you installed Win10 21H2, that's why WinRE became available.  I'm not sure why you didn't already have it though, unless maybe you deleted the WinRE partition manually at some point.

Sasa
Sasa
I can't say, why it's not available on Workstation, I configure all devices same way. But I will see on next fresh installation and if it's same I still have a device to boot Reflect WinRE from.

Good thing is not to switch GPU in UEFI on restore anymore 👍
Edited 9 May 2021 5:19 AM by Sasa
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search