Is it Possible to Recover my Lost SSD?

Author
Nicolas Forwood
Junior Member (54 reputation)Junior Member (54 reputation)Junior Member (54 reputation)Junior Member (54 reputation)Junior Member (54 reputation)Junior Member (54 reputation)Junior Member (54 reputation)Junior Member (54 reputation)Junior Member (54 reputation)Junior Member (54 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I have been away due to other commitments and now I would like to know if I can recover my lost SSD. Below is part of what I posted in another thread for information.

“I have an external 125GB SSD which connects to my Windows 8.1 laptop thru a USB cable. I want to install XP-PRO on that disk (I have the original DVD + I made an ISO file from it) and I used Reflect to create a bootable partition which was completed successfully. First I shrank the volume by 10GB and now on the file explorer I see two letters for this disk:
G:\Macrium PE (1.0GB)
Unallocated (8.16GB)
I copied in both (I didn’t know which one is better to do so) the ISO file but I can’t boot from this disk.
Trying various other options I ended up with this disk been not visible in the Windows file explorer and in the Windows disk management I only see 900kb on that disk. On the device manager it just says healthy disk. I know I have damaged the MBR on that disk and the only way to repair it, as far as I know, is to use the command line which I have forgotten completely”.

I understand now the limitations of XP-PRO & USB Booting from Windows but I wonder Is it possible to make this SSD usable again just for file copying from one PC to another? The main problem I have is that the SSD is not visible in any Windows OS and on a Linux PC I have I can see the SSD but when I try to format the SSD it says “Unable to complete”

Thank you

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)
Well even on top of the fact that Windows will not boot from a device that is connected via USB, as you found, you wouldn't use Reflect to create a bootable partition on a new disk where you planned to install an OS (in fact XP doesn't use a separate boot partition anyway), AND you can't boot from an ISO file just by copying it onto a drive.  And even after all that, XP doesn't have any native support or optimizations for SSDs, so it's really not a great idea to run XP from an SSD at all.

In terms of making the SSD usable again, have you tried using the "clean" command in Diskpart?  As long as you can see the disk itself, even if the partitions have problems, then you should be able to use Diskpart to "clean" the disk, which essentially resets it to an uninitialized disk.  At that point you can set it up as a brand new disk by choosing MBR or GPT partition layout and then creating whatever partitions you want.

Edited 22 April 2021 3:32 PM by jphughan
Nicolas Forwood
Nicolas Forwood
Junior Member (54 reputation)Junior Member (54 reputation)Junior Member (54 reputation)Junior Member (54 reputation)Junior Member (54 reputation)Junior Member (54 reputation)Junior Member (54 reputation)Junior Member (54 reputation)Junior Member (54 reputation)Junior Member (54 reputation)
jphughan - 22 April 2021 3:31 PM
Well even on top of the fact that Windows will not boot from a device that is connected via USB, as you found, you wouldn't use Reflect to create a bootable partition on a new disk where you planned to install an OS (in fact XP doesn't use a separate boot partition anyway), AND you can't boot from an ISO file just by copying it onto a drive.  And even after all that, XP doesn't have any native support or optimizations for SSDs, so it's really not a great idea to run XP from an SSD at all.

In terms of making the SSD usable again, have you tried using the "clean" command in Diskpart?  As long as you can see the disk itself, even if the partitions have problems, then you should be able to use Diskpart to "clean" the disk, which essentially resets it to an uninitialized disk.  At that point you can set it up as a brand new disk by choosing MBR or GPT partition layout and then creating whatever partitions you want.

I appreciate the education and I thank you. Obviously I was wrong with the XP-PRO and booting from a USB and that is now behind

I didn’t know either the clean command in Diskpart so I will look for it now and give it a try

Thank you

Nicolas Forwood
Nicolas Forwood
Nicolas Forwood - 22 April 2021 3:48 PM
jphughan - 22 April 2021 3:31 PM

I appreciate the education and I thank you. Obviously I was wrong with the XP-PRO and booting from a USB and that is now behind

I didn’t know either the clean command in Diskpart so I will look for it now and give it a try

Thank you

Windows 10 and 8.1 could not see the SSD so I plugged it to USB on the desktop which runs Linux and could not see the SSD either.

Then I opened the desktop and plugged the SSD into a SATA cable and now Linux can see the disk. There is no “Clean” command on Linux so I’m trying to format the SSD and its been going on now for about 10 minutes without any warning signs (it says Creating File System).

But now unfortunately it said “Error Formatting Volume” and so I conclude the SSD is dead.

I thank you for your time

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search