Add date to filename

Author
Barky
New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I'm justing moving from Acronis True Image to Macrium reflect. Is there a possibility to use tags in the image filename?

For example in acronis I could use @date@ as tag to date tag to the filename. Is this also possible in Reflect?
Willem Overbeeke
Willem Overbeeke
Talented Member
Talented Member (198 reputation)Talented Member (198 reputation)Talented Member (198 reputation)Talented Member (198 reputation)Talented Member (198 reputation)Talented Member (198 reputation)Talented Member (198 reputation)Talented Member (198 reputation)Talented Member (198 reputation)Talented Member (198 reputation)
Barky,
I too am a recent migrant from ATI. And I am not sure I understand your reference to a tag in that context. But if you simply open the backup location used in Reflect with Windows Explorer, then files are of course visible with all date and time attributes you care to select. Does not that suffice?

Willem
“Don't go around regretting things that don’t happen”

Barky
Barky
New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)
Hello, no it does not, as the backup files will be archived on different devices, and when copying dates will be lost (unless you use special copy methods that preserve dates). This is why True Image creates mybackup_@[email protected] as default filename.

Drac144
Drac144
Master
Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)
Reflect does not have "tags" as you describe them.  However, there is no reason the date should be lost when copying a file from drive to drive.  Many file managers and file copy programs WILL preserve the date. 
Willem Overbeeke
Willem Overbeeke
Talented Member
Talented Member (198 reputation)Talented Member (198 reputation)Talented Member (198 reputation)Talented Member (198 reputation)Talented Member (198 reputation)Talented Member (198 reputation)Talented Member (198 reputation)Talented Member (198 reputation)Talented Member (198 reputation)Talented Member (198 reputation)
As you know you are basically free in the choice of filenames for your images, as long as you keep all images of one XML in the same directory. So assuming that you have subsequent full backups, you could actually embed the date in the file name. Whether this is practicable in your specific situation I don't know.

Willem

oldMac
oldMac
I was looking for this option so that I could have a single XML file that created an image file of MY chosen name but without it overwriting any existing one(s).
As well as (UTC) date - dow for Day of week for those who backup daily, woy / moy for Week / Month of Year would be good for weekly / monthly.

Willem Overbeeke
Willem Overbeeke
Talented Member
As Drac144 stated, there is no possibility to add the date to the file name automatically. So your options would appear to be:
  1. Either add them manually for each run
  2. Or use (modification) date in File Explorer.

This may be a tiny disappointment in Reflect, but in my opinion, it is vastly overshadowed by the many advantages compared with ATI (especially in its recent degraded form). Cheers

Willem

Thefatdudeuk
Thefatdudeuk
New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)
oldMac - 14 November 2015 10:25 PM
I was looking for this option so that I could have a single XML file that created an image file of MY chosen name but without it overwriting any existing one(s).
As well as (UTC) date - dow for Day of week for those who backup daily, woy / moy for Week / Month of Year would be good for weekly / monthly.

I am amazed they do not understand where you are coming from, I know it was 6 years ago but putting the date into recovery files has been expected since year dot!
Froggie
Froggie
Macrium Hero
Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)
I have to look again, but I believe this will be supported in v8.
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (21K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (21K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (21K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (21K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (21K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (21K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (21K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (21K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (21K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (21K reputation)
^ Yes it will be.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search