Affect of Control Flow Guard on file and folder backup performance

Author
chrcoluk
New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Note this may affect image backups as well and probably does but since image backups are so fast anyway I didnt test on that.

So here is my data.

Up until February this year I was running Windows 8.1 which has no Control Flow Guard protection in the OS, so Macrium was not utilising it, my FF7 mods folder which I backup via F&F and using incremental backups on average took about a minute to run when either no or little file updates, time spent scanning for changes, files are hosted on SATA SSD.

I then moved to Windows 10, and the same backup suddenly started taking over 20 minutes, I watched task manager, and most of the time was on cpu cycles, the read speeds on the SSD were a trickle, so in other words the backup was cpu constrained, I have a 9900k, but the F&F doesnt utilise more than one core.

I then learnt last week about the impact of some mitigations on performance, and that Control Flow Guard itself can absolutely savage performance, I then set a override for reflectbin.exe and just had a incremental backup (with no file changes) completed in just 40 seconds.  More in line with the Windows 8 performance.  CPU still bottlenecked but the read speeds had shot right up much closer to what the SSD is capable of on 4k random i/o.

Given that reflect is not really an attack vector, I will keep CFG off on reflectbin.exe.

Hope this information helps others.
Edited 19 April 2021 8:21 AM by chrcoluk
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search