Again, restore doesn't put files where I want to (This is in another post as an answer, but deserves...

Again, restore doesn't put files where I want to (This is in another...
Author
twgonder
New Member (35 reputation)New Member (35 reputation)New Member (35 reputation)New Member (35 reputation)New Member (35 reputation)New Member (35 reputation)New Member (35 reputation)New Member (35 reputation)New Member (35 reputation)New Member (35 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
This has become a real problem for me. I have one of these new laptops that doesn't come with enough HDD only whimpy SDD space.
If I try to restore the files to a folder in C drive from another machine that had the folder in D drive the SSD runs out of space as it tries duplicate all the files in a subfolder based on the source D drive.

For example:
Source : d>users>test1>documents>(lots of subfolders and files)
This source is restored to the new laptop from an image done a week ago
Do a backup from old laptop to get just the folders that have changed
Restore the folders to the new laptop
Target: c>users>test2>documents
Restore Result: c>users>test2>documents>Drive (D)>users>test1>documents>(lots of subfolders and files)
and bang, run out of space because the restore tries to duplicate all the folders and files into a subfolder of the "documents" folder, not the "documents" folder itself.

There are many iso files that are larger than 4gb, so the browse feature doesn't work. Also, trying to browse creates a virtual disk that uses up all the memory too.

CONCLUSION: We desperately need an option to place the files and folders where we say and not where Reflect wants to put them.
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)
If you're going to create a duplicate thread about this, then especially given that you've already confirmed that this is not currently possible with Reflect, I would suggest that you create your duplicate thread in the Wish List section.

But even if this isn't relevant to your use case, I can see some barriers to implementing this.  F&F backup jobs allow you to specify multiple source folders that can be completely independent of each other.  For example, in a single job I can back up C:\Users\MyUserAccount\Desktop\MyStuff as well as D:\MyOtherStuff.  If I wanted to restore all of the data from that backup into a single new folder that is different from any of the original source folders, what folder hierarchy would you suggest that Reflect create in that scenario given the completely different original sources of the data in the backup?  And even in your simpler case, it seems you want to restore a subfolder from your original backup into a new folder.  Well how is Reflect supposed to know which folder within your original backup's hierarchy should be treated as the "top-level" folder for the purposes of your redirected restore?  In your case, you clearly want the Documents subfolder from your backup to be treated as the top-level folder when restored into your new Documents folder, but that won't be everyone's use case.  What if someone wanted your Test1 folder to be treated as the top-level folder for restore purposes, i.e. they didn't want the "Drive" and "Users" folders to be created, but they DID want the Documents folder to be created as a subfolder in the redirected destination?  Reflect doesn't have a way to know that your new Documents folder has any functional correspondence to the original folder of the same name in your backup.  The fact that an enhancement seems like an obvious improvement for your use case doesn't mean it would be easy to implement when considering the reality of other use cases out there.

All that said, Reflect V8 will at least be removing the limitation around handling files larger than 4GB within mounted F&F backups.  So once that arrives, you would simply be able to mount the backup as a virtual drive, and from there you can use Windows Explorer or whatever other file management application/utility you want in order to perform whatever sort of copy operations you want.

Edited 13 April 2021 6:57 PM by jphughan
twgonder
twgonder
New Member (35 reputation)New Member (35 reputation)New Member (35 reputation)New Member (35 reputation)New Member (35 reputation)New Member (35 reputation)New Member (35 reputation)New Member (35 reputation)New Member (35 reputation)New Member (35 reputation)
jphughan - 13 April 2021 6:19 PM
If you're going to create a duplicate thread about this, then especially given that you've already confirmed that this is not currently possible with Reflect, I would suggest that you create your duplicate thread in the Wish List section.

But even if this isn't relevant to your use case, I can see some barriers to implementing this.  F&F backup jobs allow you to specify multiple source folders that can be completely independent of each other.  For example, in a single job I can back up C:\Users\MyUserAccount\Desktop\MyStuff as well as D:\MyOtherStuff.  If I wanted to restore all of the data from that backup into a single new folder that is different from any of the original source folders, what folder hierarchy would you suggest that Reflect create in that scenario given the completely different original sources of the data in the backup?  And even in your simpler case, it seems you want to restore a subfolder from your original backup into a new folder.  Well how is Reflect supposed to know which folder within your original backup's hierarchy should be treated as the "top-level" folder for the purposes of your redirected restore?  In your case, you clearly want the Documents subfolder from your backup to be treated as the top-level folder when restored into your new Documents folder, but that won't be everyone's use case.  What if someone wanted your Test1 folder to be treated as the top-level folder for restore purposes, i.e. they didn't want the "Drive" and "Users" folders to be created, but they DID want the Documents folder to be created as a subfolder in the redirected destination?  Reflect doesn't have a way to know that your new Documents folder has any functional correspondence to the original folder of the same name in your backup.  The fact that an enhancement seems like an obvious improvement for your use case doesn't mean it would be easy to implement when considering the reality of other use cases out there.

All that said, Reflect V8 will at least be removing the limitation around handling files larger than 4GB within mounted F&F backups.  So once that arrives, you would simply be able to mount the backup as a virtual drive, and from there you can use Windows Explorer or whatever other file management application/utility you want in order to perform whatever sort of copy operations you want.

Thanks for considering the problem. I researched the problem first, found a relevant thread, but after responding, realized it would be easily overlooked, hence it deserved a new post as it's own problem which the thread suggestions didn't address.
During a restore, there are little check boxes next to the folders to restore. If one didn't check the higher level folders, then the checked folders could be placed in the folder that I select to restore to. No problem in the "complicated " scenario you talked about. In fact, I tried this idea as a solution, but the higher folders were created anyways. As to using a virtual drive, one is limited to the puny size of the SSD, so that won't be a solution either.
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)
twgonder - 13 April 2021 7:58 PM
As to using a virtual drive, one is limited to the puny size of the SSD, so that won't be a solution either.

I don't understand this sentence.  Mounting a backup as a virtual drive doesn't consume any space on any physical storage.  My point was that once V8 arrives to remove the limitation around large files within a backup, you can mount the backup and then perform any type of copy operation you want, using any tool you want, in order to get the desired data out of the mounted backup and back to wherever you want.  If you have enough capacity to restore the data you need via the traditional Restore wizard, then you have enough capacity to restore that same data by mounting the backup as a virtual drive.  And if the latter method allows you to avoid restoring data you didn't want anyway, then that's even better.  Either way, I don't see why you're calling out SSD capacity as a barrier to using the virtual drive method.

To your larger point, yes I suppose if Reflect allowed you select only a subfolder AND then restricted you to choosing only data that was within that single selected folder, the design you're describing could work.  But at the moment, Reflect allows you to select multiple folders in separate areas of a hierarchy for restore.

Edited 13 April 2021 8:05 PM by jphughan
twgonder
twgonder
jphughan - 13 April 2021 8:02 PM
twgonder - 13 April 2021 7:58 PM
As to using a virtual drive, one is limited to the puny size of the SSD, so that won't be a solution either.

I don't understand this sentence.  Mounting a backup as a virtual drive doesn't consume any space on any physical storage.  My point was that once V8 arrives to remove the limitation around large files within a backup, you can mount the backup and then perform any type of copy operation you want, using any tool you want, in order to get the desired data out of the mounted backup and back to wherever you want.  If you have enough capacity to restore the data you need via the traditional Restore wizard, then you have enough capacity to restore that same data by mounting the backup as a virtual drive.  And if the latter method allows you to avoid restoring data you didn't want anyway, then that's even better.  Either way, I don't see why you're calling out SSD capacity as a barrier to using the virtual drive method.

To your larger point, yes I suppose if Reflect allowed you select only a subfolder AND then restricted you to choosing only data that was within that single selected folder, the design you're describing could work.  But at the moment, Reflect allows you to select multiple folders in separate areas of a hierarchy for restore.

This is my first laptop with SSD and such limited memory (I usually have a 2TB disk available). When I went to browse the backup file, in a few seconds I got an out of memory message. Before that I had about 100MB available, and checking the disk properties showed 100% used. Maybe it was something else, but when I unmounted the drive, I got my memory back. 
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
"Memory" in a PC context always means RAM, never storage capacity.  Not sure what's going on there.  How much RAM is available on your system at the time you try to mount the backup?  Does this persist across restarts?  If so, try uninstalling and reinstalling Reflect, and/or disabling AV.  Mounting a virtual disk shouldn't require very much memory at all.

Edited 14 April 2021 12:14 AM by jphughan
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search