Need help to determine which backup strategy to use for almost a static directory

Author
d2racing911
New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi everyone, on my main external disk, I have 4 schedules for 2 purposes :

1. I backup my daily files with the files and backup features (father,grandfather and son).
2. I backup my Windows and my Games Disk with the image creation feature (father,grandfather and son).

3. Right now, I have around 1 TB of data inside a directory that doesn't change or rarely at all. I use a Full every month and one Weekly.
It's way overkill. What can I use to have a decent backup and to protect myself from ransomware. I really like the Guardian feature from Reflect 7.

Is there a backup schedule that backup that kind of directory ? My main concern is the integrity check every month or so.
Thanks Tongue

I found this video on the Macrium channel : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fu-mJgmwo8E

Anyone think that my current backup strategy for my needs could be the Incrementals Forever and Synthetic Full Backup at the end of the day ?

Thanks for your support, and since I'm new to all that backup stuff Tongue
Edited 12 April 2021 11:57 PM by d2racing911
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)
If the data doesn't change very much, have you considered a file sync solution, possibly with versioning if needed, rather than a traditional file backup solution?  That would alleviate the risk of a relatively small bit of corruption potentially wiping out your entire backup, since a sync solution keeps your files as independent files at the replication destination.  And version control would allow you to maintain some form of history.

If you want to use Reflect though, then my first question is how large your weekly backups are.  If they're not very frequent, you might want to consider changing your schedule to run every 8 weeks, or every 12 weeks, for example.  Weekly backups allow you to specify that they should only run every X weeks -- though monthly backups also allow you to choose to have them run only on certain months, I suppose.  As far as the integrity check goes, if you run backups rather infrequently, you could simply do that manually.  By default, choosing to verify a Diff or Incremental will verify the preceding/parent backup(s) that it depends on, unless you specifically choose to verify only that file.  However, the auto-verify feature you can configure does NOT do that; it only verifies the backup that was just created.  You could even potentially script something if you wanted, since Reflect has a verification utility that can be used from the command line, as documented here.

d2racing911
d2racing911
New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)
Hi, thanks for your comments Tongue

I'm already using Syncback Pro to an external drive so that everything is in Sync manually. To have a history, I always run Macrium file and backup to have a protected backup with the Image Guardian and also with my backup schedule, I have my history. I'm keeping an external drive with only my Sync files because they are easy to restore in case of a major crash/hardware crash. It's part of my 321 backup strategies.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search