Can't restore folder directly to the root of a new drive location

Author
Jazzy
New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello

I just bought Macrium Reflect Home v7.3. Before buying I had a detailed exchange with a clear example and Macrium employee assured me it could be achieved with their program and said he had done this himself and that it would work.

Now I found no way of doing with Macrium what other programs I've tried like Acronis for Western Digital can't seem to do either which is detailed below.

The question was:

"When restoring a files/folders backup to a different location, say I want to restore a folder with files in it to a different location, will the folder be restored to the new location at the root of that location and not within a new folder created by the program?

Example : Source "E:\Music tracks folder" to destination F:\  so destination should end up like this : "F:\Music tracks folder" and not F:\(Drive E) folder\Music tracks folder."

So Macrium can't seem to do that either.

This means that if you want many folders and files to be directly accessible at the root of the new drive or folder not have to open a superfluous folder every time, you can't. File/folder timestamps and attributes are also important to me as well.

Anyone knows if there is something I'm not doing right?

Thanks

Beardy
Beardy
Proficient Member
Proficient Member (382 reputation)Proficient Member (382 reputation)Proficient Member (382 reputation)Proficient Member (382 reputation)Proficient Member (382 reputation)Proficient Member (382 reputation)Proficient Member (382 reputation)Proficient Member (382 reputation)Proficient Member (382 reputation)Proficient Member (382 reputation)
Are you using the restore wizard? Or are you mounting the backup as a drive & using drag/drop copy/paste?
For file/folder backups, the latter will restore a subfolder to the root without issues provided you don't have files over 4GB (removed as a limitation when 8.0 launces) or fancy custom permissions you wish to preserve.
Using the restore wizard I can't speak to without experimentation, as I haven't tried it to do that.

For image backups mounting & copy/paste, drag/drop, or command line methods (xcopy, robocopy, etc.) should all work if you don't want to restore directly & preserve folder structure/hierarchy.
dbminter
dbminter
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)
If you use the Restore option for a file and folder backup, the files/folders will be restored to a different location, with a new root directory folder name.  It is a bit of an annoyance, I'll grant that.  And I don't know why it does that.  However, as was said, you can mount the F&F backup as a virtual drive and copy the files to wherever you want in Windows/File Explorer.  As long as they're not over 4 GB, which can be done, but requires some jumping through technical hoops.  Also as was said, version 8 of Reflect, when it launches, will address this 4 GB limitation.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)
I think restoring to the root only applies if you’re restoring to the original location, which was also the root. If you choose to restore to another location than the original source, including the root of a different drive, you will get the folder tree you described. As mentioned above, mounting the backup and restoring that way might be an option if you don’t have files in your backup that are larger than 4GB. Otherwise, you might just have to do a restore and then a move operation if you really want files on the root — although that generally isn’t a great practice.
Jazzy
Jazzy
New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)
jphughan - 9 April 2021 1:30 PM
I think restoring to the root only applies if you’re restoring to the original location, which was also the root. If you choose to restore to another location than the original source, including the root of a different drive, you will get the folder tree you described. As mentioned above, mounting the backup and restoring that way might be an option if you don’t have files in your backup that are larger than 4GB. Otherwise, you might just have to do a restore and then a move operation if you really want files on the root — although that generally isn’t a great practice.

dbminter - 9 April 2021 12:24 PM
If you use the Restore option for a file and folder backup, the files/folders will be restored to a different location, with a new root directory folder name.  It is a bit of an annoyance, I'll grant that.  And I don't know why it does that.  However, as was said, you can mount the F&F backup as a virtual drive and copy the files to wherever you want in Windows/File Explorer.  As long as they're not over 4 GB, which can be done, but requires some jumping through technical hoops.  Also as was said, version 8 of Reflect, when it launches, will address this 4 GB limitation.

Beardy - 9 April 2021 11:01 AM
Are you using the restore wizard? Or are you mounting the backup as a drive & using drag/drop copy/paste?
For file/folder backups, the latter will restore a subfolder to the root without issues provided you don't have files over 4GB (removed as a limitation when 8.0 launces) or fancy custom permissions you wish to preserve.
Using the restore wizard I can't speak to without experimentation, as I haven't tried it to do that.

For image backups mounting & copy/paste, drag/drop, or command line methods (xcopy, robocopy, etc.) should all work if you don't want to restore directly & preserve folder structure/hierarchy.

Hi thanks for responding,

I initially tried it with the wizard and I also tried it through the mounting of the files/folders backup but the folder's timestamp isn't preserved. Before buying Macrium I had also tried Acronis for WD. But I tried with Robocopy before any of the latter. It did not work and I scoured the web and found that most people said that Robocopy cannot copy from one drive to the root of another drive because it will also need a new folder to put in what you are copying.
twgonder
twgonder
New Member (35 reputation)New Member (35 reputation)New Member (35 reputation)New Member (35 reputation)New Member (35 reputation)New Member (35 reputation)New Member (35 reputation)New Member (35 reputation)New Member (35 reputation)New Member (35 reputation)
This has become a real problem for me. I have one of these new laptops that doesn't come with enough HDD only whimpy SDD space.
If I try to restore the files to a folder in C drive from another machine that had the folder in D drive the SSD runs out of space as it tries duplicate all the files in a subfolder based on the source D drive.

For example:
Source : d>users>test1>documents>(lots of subfolders and files)
This source is restored to the new laptop from an image done a week ago
Do a backup from old laptop to get just the folders that have changed
Restore the folders to the new laptop
Target:   c>users>test2>documents
Restore Result: c>users>test2>documents>Drive (D)>users>test1>documents>(lots of subfolders and files)
and bang, run out of space because the restore tries to duplicate all the folders and files into a subfolder of the "documents" folder, not the "documents" folder itself.

There are many iso files that are larger than 4gb, so the browse feature doesn't work. Also, trying to browse creates a virtual disk that uses up all the memory too.

CONCLUSION: We desperately need an option to place the files and folders where we say and not where Reflect wants to put them.
Edited 13 April 2021 1:12 PM by twgonder
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search