What should I do about this warning?

Author
rafikiphoto
Junior Member (77 reputation)Junior Member (77 reputation)Junior Member (77 reputation)Junior Member (77 reputation)Junior Member (77 reputation)Junior Member (77 reputation)Junior Member (77 reputation)Junior Member (77 reputation)Junior Member (77 reputation)Junior Member (77 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I just started backing up over the home wifi network. In the past I have done it all wired. The destination, an external HDD, is wired to the router and the source, my PC connects via wifi to the router. I had no problems with the all-wired setup but with this new wifi setup I see the following message:

Incremental:    Retain incremental images for 15 Days
        The oldest incremental images may be consolidated
    Incremental Backups:    12 found
    Consolidation:    Merging '3B99AFBD3D6FC6CE-31-31.mrimg' into '3B99AFBD3D6FC6CE-29-29.mrimg'
        Warning: WriteFile failed - 59
        Successfully recovered from failed consolidation

It seems Macrium recovered from the problem but I'd like to know what happened and what to do to avoid it happening again. Can someone shed any light on this please?
dbminter
dbminter
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (3.4K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.4K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.4K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.4K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.4K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.4K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.4K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.4K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.4K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.4K reputation)
I've never used WiFi connections before, but from what I've seen on this forum, the write error appears to be an intermittent problem writing to the network volume.  It seems with wireless network connections, they can be very picky.

Others will have to chime in to be certain, but it sounds like the write operation recovered.  So, there's probably no concern.  In the meantime, if the backup isn't too large, you can try loading 3B99AFBD3D6FC6CE-29-29.mrimg and performing a manual Verify operation.  While it's not a guarantee of integrity, it can help determine a possible corruption.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)
If it doesn’t happen again, you don’t have to worry about it. Reflect will reattempt that consolidation at the next backup. But if you continue to see that error, I agree that using WiFi could be an issue. A consolidation operation involves heavy write AND read traffic, so it’s different from the actual backup. I would first try to consolidate those files while connected over Ethernet, which you can even do manually using the Consolidate.exe file in the Reflect folder. If that works but WiFi continues to throw errors going forward, then unless you’re open to trying to isolate the specific component that’s triggering the problem and replacing/upgrading it, you might want to switch to a backup strategy that doesn’t use consolidation.

If on the other hand you consistently see that consolidation error between those two specific files, even over wired Ethernet, then you may have a problem with those files, in which case I’d make a new Full since problems with those early files in your backup put all newer files in the chain at risk.
rafikiphoto
rafikiphoto
Junior Member (77 reputation)Junior Member (77 reputation)Junior Member (77 reputation)Junior Member (77 reputation)Junior Member (77 reputation)Junior Member (77 reputation)Junior Member (77 reputation)Junior Member (77 reputation)Junior Member (77 reputation)Junior Member (77 reputation)
I have run a manual verify on the file. It came up clean. I'll run again tomorrow over wifi and if there is the same issue I'll run it again the day after on the original wired setup to see if it occurs like that.

Thanks for the advice.
Edited 8 April 2021 5:58 PM by rafikiphoto
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)
Consolidation involves two files, neither of which would be the file that you just created during that backup job.

rafikiphoto
rafikiphoto
What should I have checked?
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
The two files named in the log entry about the consolidation operation, which you posted upfront.

Roland Stoller
Roland Stoller
Talented Member
Talented Member (117 reputation)Talented Member (117 reputation)Talented Member (117 reputation)Talented Member (117 reputation)Talented Member (117 reputation)Talented Member (117 reputation)Talented Member (117 reputation)Talented Member (117 reputation)Talented Member (117 reputation)Talented Member (117 reputation)
"...I have run a manual verify on the file..."  There are a couple of long threads concerning Verify.  Depending upon exactly which Verify was clicked, that Verify might have only checked the integrity of the media that the backup image resides upon.  I do not remember which Verify actually checks the contents within an image.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  Ben Franklin revisited.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Roland Stoller - 11 April 2021 2:34 AM
"...I have run a manual verify on the file..."  There are a couple of long threads concerning Verify.  Depending upon exactly which Verify was clicked, that Verify might have only checked the integrity of the media that the backup image resides upon.  I do not remember which Verify actually checks the contents within an image.

The only options are to verify only a child backup rather than the previous backups that it may depend on, and whether to automatically attempt repairs.  Reflect's verification routine always checks the integrity of the data.  If some data is corrupted or unreadable due to a problem with the underlying media, then that will cause the verification to fail.  But Reflect doesn't have a verification option to check only the integrity of the media.

dbminter
dbminter
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (3.4K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.4K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.4K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.4K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.4K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.4K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.4K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.4K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.4K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.4K reputation)
Wasn't there something about the efficacy of Verify, though?  That it was not necessarily reliable for a foolproof image set?  That Verify could pass but the image set may still be corrupt?  That, for that reason, it was debatable whether or not to even enable automatically Verify images after backup to save the time it would take?

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search