Clone HDD to SSD boot failure on a Dell Inspiron 15 3567

Author
Scott Larson
Junior Member (77 reputation)Junior Member (77 reputation)Junior Member (77 reputation)Junior Member (77 reputation)Junior Member (77 reputation)Junior Member (77 reputation)Junior Member (77 reputation)Junior Member (77 reputation)Junior Member (77 reputation)Junior Member (77 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi I have a Inspiron 15 3567 Laptop that I recently cloned a SATA hdd over to a new samsung 860 SATA SSD using Macrium Reflect. After the clone, I installed the SSD and attempted to boot. (without the HDD hooked up). Windows 10 appears like its booting, but after 35 seconds at the boot screen, the system reboots and I get this screen:

I tried the following, but the same problem occurs:
  • Cloned the HDD from the Laptop with secure boot off and on different hardware.
  •   Added a second boot entry to point to the efi boot and attempted to boot from the file.
  •   disabled and enabled secure boot.
  •   Cleared the security keys (After backing them up)
  •   I ran the fixboot tool from macrium.
Here is a screen shot of the BIOS

For reference, Support Assist doesnt even see the SSD (I cloned all the partitions)

The SSD boots fine in another configuration, but it does not boot in the laptop itself so I know its not the clone. I'm pretty sure its a BIOS setting that I have over looked. Has anyone experienced this?

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)
You shouldn't have to change any BIOS settings to switch from one SATA-based drive to another, regardless of the fact that you're moving from an HDD to an SSD.  The only exception I can think of would be if you had a very old system that still allowed you to set the SATA ports to IDE Compatibility mode rather than AHCI mode.  But if your system supports UEFI booting, I doubt that's it.  And Secure Boot isn't going to be an issue here.  That just makes sure that the bootloader was properly signed by a trusted authority, so if you were able to use Secure Boot when booting from the old disk, you should be able to use it when booting from the new one containing the same data.  Windows has supported Secure Boot since Win8, so as long as you're not trying to use a custom bootloader (or one that's been maliciously altered), that won't be a factor.  And fyi, when Secure Boot is the issue, your system immediately shows a warning specifically saying that Secure Boot blocked the boot process.  Clearing the keys is generally not a good idea since that can break even a Secure Boot setup that currently works.  That's primarily intended for cases where you may have manually loaded some other signer's certificate, such as to use Secure Boot with a Linux distro.  (This is all just for future reference, I guess.)

Can you post screenshots of the partition layouts of both the source and destination disks as shown in the Reflect Rescue environment?

The fact that it seems to boot for a while makes me wonder if there's some sort of driver issue here.  Did you have any drivers or utilities specific to the old drive installed?  Did you try ReDeploy, even though that isn't typically necessary in this scenario?

Scott Larson
Scott Larson
Junior Member (77 reputation)Junior Member (77 reputation)Junior Member (77 reputation)Junior Member (77 reputation)Junior Member (77 reputation)Junior Member (77 reputation)Junior Member (77 reputation)Junior Member (77 reputation)Junior Member (77 reputation)Junior Member (77 reputation)
No drivers specific to the HDD that I know of. I can try redeploy and see what happens.
Here is the screenshot of the partition structures for both drives that you have requested. Thank you for taking a look at this because I have no clue as to what is going on. In most cases, the SSD should boot on the originating hardware if it boots on a different hardware setup.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)
The only thing that jumps out at me there is a pretty significant difference in the amount of space in use on the Windows partition of each disk. Even if the clone was performed within Windows and therefore with the potential of some data having been excluded in the VSS snapshot, 20 GB or so seems like a lot. You could try rerunning the clone in Rescue to sidestep VSS, but if neither that, nor Fix Boot Problems, nor ReDeploy resolves the issue, I’m admittedly not sure what to suggest next. The fact that your system seems to boot for a while BEFORE going to that error is especially strange....
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search