Macrium Reflect can't clone M.2 drive - Shadow Copy error

Author
kirkdickinson
New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I have an M.2 drive in only one computer here and can't seem to clone it with Macrium Reflect. I have looked through the logs and there seems to be some issue with creating or reading a "Shadow Drive".

I get errors in windows log that say:
The shadow copy of volume C: being created failed to install. EventID 67

Here is another Windows error:
Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error DeviceIoControl(\\?\Volume{16d9c830-278e-4749-abb8-96d3350b9576} - 0000000000000338,0x0053c008,0000022AA832D040,0,0000022AA832E140,4096,[0]). hr = 0x80070079, The semaphore timeout period has expired.
Operation:
 Processing EndPrepareSnapshots
Context:
 Execution Context: System Provider

EventIT: 12289

I can't even run manually.

Drac144
Drac144
Expert
Expert (908 reputation)Expert (908 reputation)Expert (908 reputation)Expert (908 reputation)Expert (908 reputation)Expert (908 reputation)Expert (908 reputation)Expert (908 reputation)Expert (908 reputation)Expert (908 reputation)
Have you tried doing a backup of the drive instead of a clone?

The types of VSS errors you posted are often related to old drivers, AV software or older versions of Windows.  An older, slower, computer could also be an issue.  Have you tried disabling your AV software while doing your clone?  Make sure you are using the newest drivers for your devices.  Any additional info about your system could be helpful to figure out the possible cause.

The easiest option, however, is to create a rescue disk (or USB), boot from that rescue disk and do your clone from there.  The rescue disk does not use VSS.

Patrick O'Keefe
Patrick O'Keefe
Proficient Member
Proficient Member (217 reputation)Proficient Member (217 reputation)Proficient Member (217 reputation)Proficient Member (217 reputation)Proficient Member (217 reputation)Proficient Member (217 reputation)Proficient Member (217 reputation)Proficient Member (217 reputation)Proficient Member (217 reputation)Proficient Member (217 reputation)
kirkdickinson - 3 April 2021 4:50 PM
I have an M.2 drive in only one computer here and can't seem to clone it with Macrium Reflect.

Just as an aside - probably not related to your problem. ...
M.2 is just a form factor.  Both SATA and NVMe drives can be packaged as M.2.  I assume you're referring to NVMe.  The driver issue could be a problem in either case.

kirkdickinson
kirkdickinson
New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)
Drac144 - 3 April 2021 7:04 PM
Have you tried doing a backup of the drive instead of a clone?

The types of VSS errors you posted are often related to old drivers, AV software or older versions of Windows.  An older, slower, computer could also be an issue.  Have you tried disabling your AV software while doing your clone?  Make sure you are using the newest drivers for your devices.  Any additional info about your system could be helpful to figure out the possible cause.

The easiest option, however, is to create a rescue disk (or USB), boot from that rescue disk and do your clone from there.  The rescue disk does not use VSS.

Drac, thanks... This is a fairly new system. Scratch built about this time last year. AMD Ryzen 5 3600, 16 GB Ram, Windows 10 Pro 2004 version updted 1/14/21, OS Build 19041.867, Experience Pack 120.2212.551.0. I just downloaded and updated the drivers for the motherboard. The M.2 is a WDS500G2808-00YS70 NWMe.

Edited 5 April 2021 4:37 PM by kirkdickinson
kirkdickinson
kirkdickinson
Patrick O'Keefe - 3 April 2021 7:20 PM
kirkdickinson - 3 April 2021 4:50 PM
I have an M.2 drive in only one computer here and can't seem to clone it with Macrium Reflect.

Just as an aside - probably not related to your problem. ...
M.2 is just a form factor.  Both SATA and NVMe drives can be packaged as M.2.  I assume you're referring to NVMe.  The driver issue could be a problem in either case.

NVEe drive. I downloaded the manufactures drives and reinstalled. Still no luck.
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)
Did you run the Fix VSS Problems utility under the Other Tasks menu?  And as mentioned by Drac144, if you're just trying to perform a one-off clone, you could do it from within the Rescue Media environment rather than within Windows.  That doesn't require VSS at all since the disk being cloned will not be online running your Windows environment at the time of the clone.  That's obviously a workaround rather than a fix, but again if you're just trying to get this done once, then that might be fastest route to completion unless you really do want to chase this down.

kirkdickinson
kirkdickinson
jphughan - 5 April 2021 5:17 PM
Did you run the Fix VSS Problems utility under the Other Tasks menu?  And as mentioned by Drac144, if you're just trying to perform a one-off clone, you could do it from within the Rescue Media environment rather than within Windows.  That doesn't require VSS at all since the disk being cloned will not be online running your Windows environment at the time of the clone.  That's obviously a workaround rather than a fix, but again if you're just trying to get this done once, then that might be fastest route to completion unless you really do want to chase this down.

I have all my computers set up to image the boot drive once a week, then it automatically gets copied out to a backup server by other software. This lets me get up to running fast if I loose a boot drive or a computer. This one computer won't do the image. I am not sure this is a Macrium Reflect problem or if it is a windows/WD/driver problem? I just discovered that automatic and manual restore points are failing also, so I think this problem may be a system issue instead of a Macrium issue.

I will look into the Fix VSS.
Beardy
Beardy
Proficient Member
Proficient Member (363 reputation)Proficient Member (363 reputation)Proficient Member (363 reputation)Proficient Member (363 reputation)Proficient Member (363 reputation)Proficient Member (363 reputation)Proficient Member (363 reputation)Proficient Member (363 reputation)Proficient Member (363 reputation)Proficient Member (363 reputation)
With recent AMD systems it's always worth checking you have the latest Firmware (UEFI/BIOS) update, often that resolves "strange" issues.

Have you tried opening Reflect & going to "Other Tasks" > "Fix VSS Problems..." ?

Just for purposes of elimination SFC /SCANNOW and/or DISM /ONLINE /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth from an elevated command prompt are also a good check Windows itself is healthy.
Checking the disk is a good idea too CHKDSK /SCAN /R C:

There's an article here discussing fixing the error "The semaphore timeout period has expired." which also refers to the error code 0x80070079, though how much of it is relevant I couldn't say.

kirkdickinson
kirkdickinson
kirkdickinson - 5 April 2021 5:34 PM
jphughan - 5 April 2021 5:17 PM

I have all my computers set up to image the boot drive once a week, then it automatically gets copied out to a backup server by other software. This lets me get up to running fast if I loose a boot drive or a computer. This one computer won't do the image. I am not sure this is a Macrium Reflect problem or if it is a windows/WD/driver problem? I just discovered that automatic and manual restore points are failing also, so I think this problem may be a system issue instead of a Macrium issue.

I will look into the Fix VSS.

I realize that I have run Fix VSS before. No luck with that. Deeper issue.
kirkdickinson
kirkdickinson
Beardy - 5 April 2021 5:38 PM
With recent AMD systems it's always worth checking you have the latest Firmware (UEFI/BIOS) update, often that resolves "strange" issues.

Have you tried opening Reflect & going to "Other Tasks" > "Fix VSS Problems..." ?

Just for purposes of elimination SFC /SCANNOW and/or DISM /ONLINE /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth from an elevated command prompt are also a good check Windows itself is healthy.
Checking the disk is a good idea too CHKDSK /SCAN /R C:

There's an article here discussing fixing the error "The semaphore timeout period has expired." which also refers to the error code 0x80070079, though how much of it is relevant I couldn't say.

I have run the Fix VSS, SFC/SCANNOW and DISM/Online... I have not yet updated the bios, but have a current download of that. Thanks,
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search