cloning, redeploy or Samsung's

Author
David
New Member (37 reputation)New Member (37 reputation)New Member (37 reputation)New Member (37 reputation)New Member (37 reputation)New Member (37 reputation)New Member (37 reputation)New Member (37 reputation)New Member (37 reputation)New Member (37 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Going to replace HDD in Dell desktop with Samsung 1 TB SSD drive. Any suggestions about which option is best for ensuring I end up with a bootable SSD with fully functioning Windows 10 OS. Any problems with the Macrium approach? (Absolutely a life saver when I have had to restore an image.) Any experience with the Samsung approach?
Thanks,
David

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)
Are you switching from SATA to NVMe? If so, is your system set to AHCI or RAID mode? This matters even if you’re not actually using RAID. If you are moving from SATA to NVMe and also in AHCI mode, you very likely will need ReDeploy. If you are sticking with SATA for your SSD, or you are in RAID mode regardless of the SSD type you’re installing, you shouldn’t need ReDeploy.

In terms of how to clone the data, both apps should get the data moved over just fine. Samsung’s app can be handy in that it automatically resizes your Windows partition to fill the capacity of the new disk. Reflect (currently) does not do that automatically. You’d have to “stage” a custom restore if you want resized partitions rather than empty space at the end of the disk. But that’s completely doable. And V8 will make this more convenient when it arrives.
David
David
New Member (37 reputation)New Member (37 reputation)New Member (37 reputation)New Member (37 reputation)New Member (37 reputation)New Member (37 reputation)New Member (37 reputation)New Member (37 reputation)New Member (37 reputation)New Member (37 reputation)
jphughan - 3 April 2021 12:33 PM
Are you switching from SATA to NVMe? If so, is your system set to AHCI or RAID mode? This matters even if you’re not actually using RAID. If you are moving from SATA to NVMe and also in AHCI mode, you very likely will need ReDeploy. If you are sticking with SATA for your SSD, or you are in RAID mode regardless of the SSD type you’re installing, you shouldn’t need ReDeploy.In terms of how to clone the data, both apps should get the data moved over just fine. Samsung’s app can be handy in that it automatically resizes your Windows partition to fill the capacity of the new disk. Reflect (currently) does not do that automatically. You’d have to “stage” a custom restore if you want resized partitions rather than empty space at the end of the disk. But that’s completely doable. And V8 will make this more convenient when it arrives.

Thanks, JP. I don't understand most of your first paragraph!! Way over my head! Looks like a  safe route is the Samsung approach unless I want to hire someone to make the switch.

David

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)
Ok, in that case, what exact Samsung SSD model are you installing?  And here is a step-by-step guide I wrote, with screenshots along the whole way, for how to clone to a larger disk with Reflect while expanding the size of the Windows partition.

David
David
After  SSD was installed, I downloaded and ran Samsung's Data Migration program for the 870 EVO 1 TB SSD. This program transferred everything to the SSD including Windows in around 30 minutes. No problems, except that Windows startup is slow, probably because several and audio programs that take time to load are part of the Startup group. If they are not run at Startup, I might have do spend time to access these features each time I use a microphone as part of dictation program, Dragon, equal to the amount of time these  features add to the Windows startup. Will start experimenting soon.

David

dbminter
dbminter
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (3.4K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.4K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.4K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.4K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.4K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.4K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.4K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.4K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.4K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.4K reputation)
I'm actually surprised Windows is still running at all after transferring over an old Windows installation.  Generally, you can't just copy over the Windows directory and get it running like your original installation.  In fact, you generally get a Windows that won't start.  Unless this SSD was just replacing an existing drive where Windows was already installed.  However, restoring an image made of the partitions on that drive would probably have been better.

Seekforever
Seekforever
Expert
Expert (907 reputation)Expert (907 reputation)Expert (907 reputation)Expert (907 reputation)Expert (907 reputation)Expert (907 reputation)Expert (907 reputation)Expert (907 reputation)Expert (907 reputation)Expert (907 reputation)
Group: Awaiting Activation
The Samsung program apparently does does cloning with some limitations, not just a file copy. 
David
David
Seekforever - 14 April 2021 6:39 PM
The Samsung program apparently does does cloning with some limitations, not just a file copy. 

Hello Seekforever, JP and others:

Not sure if using the Samsung Data Migration program to upgrade to the SSD was better choice than using Macrium; reviews all said it works like a charm. I followed directions (System > About in the Settings window, scrolled to "Windows specifications" section and found I have the latest version of Windows 10 (October 2020; 20H2 designation.) Programs load quickly. But it still takes a long time (over 2 minutes) for Windows to start --not much faster than when the HDD was controlling. I thinned out the list of programs/features that get loaded when Windows starts, but it seems that some features not shown in the Task Manager's Startup list could be the problem. Various microphone and speaker features, and Macrium, make the startup slower. As the Startup continues there are a number of welcome screens, scenic photos that flash by. Although I thought it would be faster I don't really mind the slow Startup as so far there have been no problems with the upgrade to SSD, but it would be nice to know what is slowing it down.

By the way, the Samsubng SSD (870 EVO) is SATA and doesn't involve NVMe.

David

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search