BSOD on boot after using ReDeploy

Author
Rx8driver
New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I have a system currently running Win10 20H2 and installed on an NVMe SSD....I have purchased a 2nd identical SSD and installed in the second NVMe slot and switched the controller to RAID mode, booted the rescue media and loaded the RAID drivers using drvload from the command line to make the array visible. Then restored the image to the array and then run ReDeploy on the image. Upon reboot I get a BSOD with error code INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE....I have tried everything I can find to fix this- Using DISM to inject drivers, using pnputil, etc....nothing seems to work. Has anyone experienced this?
dbminter
dbminter
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)
Are both NVMe drives connected at the same time?  Try removing the old one first and attempting ReDeploy, etc. whatever else you tried, on the 2nd drive you restored down to.  Sometimes, it gets iffy boot wise if the old drive is still connected when you're trying to boot the new one.

Rx8driver
Rx8driver
New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)
maybe I wasn't totally clear....I'm using the two drives combined in RAID 0....so I'm imaging the windows installation from the single drive, then changing the controller mode from AHCI to RAID mode, creating the array, then booting to recovery media to restore the imaged C: drive to the newly created array....this all goes fine....then running ReDeploy to make the installation adapt to the new boot hardware, or at least it SHOULD, except I keep getting the BSOD on the next boot....
dbminter
dbminter
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)
Oh, you did say they were in RAID.  I had forgotten that, sorry.

I think it may be the AHCI to RAID thing.  I believe I was told once, because my optical drives were installed in RAID configuration, in order to use AHCI, after enabling it in BIOS, I needed to reinstall Windows to install AHCI mode.  So, that may be the case here.  You may need to reinstall Windows.  I don't know if ReDeploy will change from AHCI to RAID.  Or even if this AHCI reinstalling of Windows is even a thing.

@jphughan can better explain it as I believe he was the one who told me I needed to reinstall Windows if I was going to convert my optical drive setup from RAID, as it was preconfigured from the factory, to use AHCI mode.  But, I could be wrong about that.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)
ReDeploy should have fixed this. What RAID controller, Reflect version on Rescue Media, and WinPE/RE version on Rescue Media? One workaround you might try that often avoids getting stuck at that exact BSoD error when performing an in-place switch between RAID and AHCI is to boot into Safe Mode. Then adjust drivers as needed there, or sometimes you just need to allow Windows to boot once on that hardware state in Safe Mode, and then it boots properly in Normal Mode afterward. If that fixes it, I’m not immediately sure why ReDeploy didn’t in this case, but I’m still curious about the details of your environment. Did the ReDeploy wizard even prompt you to provide drivers? I’m admittedly not sure if it normally does if the required driver doesn’t exist in the target Windows environment’s driver library but does exist in Rescue because you loaded it there.
Edited 28 March 2021 2:12 AM by jphughan
Mustang
Mustang
Talented Member
Talented Member (117 reputation)Talented Member (117 reputation)Talented Member (117 reputation)Talented Member (117 reputation)Talented Member (117 reputation)Talented Member (117 reputation)Talented Member (117 reputation)Talented Member (117 reputation)Talented Member (117 reputation)Talented Member (117 reputation)
As I read your post it sounds like you know what you're doing so I won't be too detailed.

An INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE BSOD is almost always a driver issue, as you probably already know. Here's how you should proceed:
1. Reapply your image to the RAID array.
2. Don't allow ReDeploy to run.
3. Use dism from WinPE to inject the RAID driver for your motherboard. You say you already tried this, but I'm guessing you tried it after you ran ReDeploy. That could be the issue.

Just another guess. Do you by any chance have an AMD processor? AMD RAID drivers are more difficult to inject than Intel RAID drivers. There are multiple inf files in the same folder. They all need to be injected and the order may matter. The best way to inject them is to make separate folders for each inf file. You can put all the other files in each folder. Having extra file the inf doesn't need is harmless. That's much easier than figuring out what files each inf needs.

If you still need help, report your motherboard and Windows system. If you can, post a link to the motherboard RAID driver.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search