Has anybody yet tried to restore a Windows-Image to a Mac using Bootcamp?

Author
LukeUME
New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Is that even possible? Installing Windows on a Mac with Bootcamp -> adding a Rescue-boot menu entry -> booting Macrium Reflect System Recovery -> restore the image. A bit far fetched, cant try it myself as there's no Mac available at the moment. I'm just wondering if there's any way to "copy" my current Windows 10 Pro with all its setting, apps and hundreds of app settings to a Mac. Would save a lot of time because while installation of Windows ain't much of a problem on a Mac, but bringing Windows back in the shape I currently have on my PC is a freaking hell lot of work.
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)
I wouldn’t be optimistic. The best case scenario would be setting up Windows through Boot Camp to get the correct partition layout, then booting into Rescue and restoring only the Windows partition from your original system, not the entire disk. And then you’d have to run ReDeploy to get Reflect to modify the restored Windows environment to boot on completely different hardware, but I don’t know how well ReDeploy would work for Mac hardware. Windows is unlikely to have native support for much of that hardware, and Apple to my knowledge doesn’t provide Boot Camp driver sets in raw form that can be fed to ReDeploy. So even getting it to boot might be a challenge. And with Apple having just dropped Boot Camp support with the new Apple Silicon chips, at least until Microsoft makes Windows on ARM much more widely available, I’m not sure you’d be able to count on a lot of support or future development on this scenario.
LukeUME
LukeUME
New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)
I wouldnt be very optimistic too, but as there are lots of people out there, who run macOS AND Windows (10) on a single Mac, maybe somebody can help us out with first hand experience. Dropping Boot Camp is the reason I dont like the M1-chips, would actually use a Macbook Pro (Late 2019).
Beardy
Beardy
Proficient Member
Proficient Member (382 reputation)Proficient Member (382 reputation)Proficient Member (382 reputation)Proficient Member (382 reputation)Proficient Member (382 reputation)Proficient Member (382 reputation)Proficient Member (382 reputation)Proficient Member (382 reputation)Proficient Member (382 reputation)Proficient Member (382 reputation)
I managed a similar stunt with a really old Intel MacBook & Windows 7, was a few years back & I forget the exact steps however. I seem to remember being able to create a cd with needed drivers at some point during the bootcamp setup process, which I subsequently used to set the thing up with Windows only since the ancient version of Mac OS on it was unsupported & thoroughly outdated anyway.

Once set up Macrium works as expected, rescue boots fine, though YMMV with newer ones, the one I used was circa 2006/7.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search