There is not enough space on the disk. But I think there is enough!

Author
plugger
Junior Member (60 reputation)Junior Member (60 reputation)Junior Member (60 reputation)Junior Member (60 reputation)Junior Member (60 reputation)Junior Member (60 reputation)Junior Member (60 reputation)Junior Member (60 reputation)Junior Member (60 reputation)Junior Member (60 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Using Macrium Reflect Home Edition v7.3.5672
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Disk free space 174 GB (from Xplorer2 and Windows Explorer)
Files 134 GB (from Xplorer2 and Reflect)
Not enough space on destination (from Reflect)
The source and destination disks are external (USB).

How can I figure out what happened?

Reflect's log file:

Backup ID - 76B397403DDADE01
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Backup Summary
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Backup Definition File: c:\users\rjd\documents\reflect\qbarn-to-r.xml
Auto Verify: N
Maximum File Size: Automatic
Compression: High
Password: N
NTFS Permissions: Y
Folder Reparse Points: Do not follow user reparse points, do not follow system reparse points
Backup set matching: Strict - Match on backups with the same folders and filters
Power Saving: N
Email On Success: N
Email On Warning: N
Email On Failure: N
Comment: QBarn
Current Time: 3/18/2021 10:45:09 PM

Destination:
Backup Type: Full - Differential specified but no backup set to append to
File Name: R:\Macrium\Data\Current\76B397403DDADE01-00-00.mrbak

Folder: Q:\barn\
Include File Filter: *.*
Exclude File Filter:
Include Sub Folders: Y
Exclude Folder Filter:
Exclude Hidden Files: N
Exclude System Files: N

Creating Volume Snapshot - Please Wait
Volume Snapshots Created
Q:\ \\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy22
Starting Backup - Thursday, March 18, 2021 22:45:12
Write Method: Using File System Cache
Destination Drive: Back5 (RSmile - Free Space 174.71 GB
Image Guardian: Protected
Determining files to copy
Total Number of Files: 182197
Total Number of Folders: 11728
Total Size: 134.25 GB
Copying files
Gathering Windows Events - Please Wait

I/O Performance: Read 92.0 MB/s - Write 48.3 MB/s

Backup aborted! - Write operation failed - There is not enough space on the disk.

Macrium Reflect Home Edition v7.3.5672

dbminter
dbminter
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)
The Log says Reflect tried to create a Differential, but a new Full was started instead.  Was the old Full deleted first?  If you had 174 GB of free space and were attempting to backup 134 GB, then it seems a previously existing 134 GB was already present on the USB HDD Target.  If the old 134 GB Full was not deleted first, and the Log doesn't indicate it was, then there wasn't enough space because the previous 134 GB backup set was still present.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)
DB, there's nothing in the job log about any retention policy purges, but the job log states that at the beginning of the backup, there was 174 GB free at the destination.  It also says that the total size of the source data is 134 GB.  That is less than the 174 GB free on the destination.  So even if nothing on the destination was purged AND the High compression setting also indicated in the log wasn't able to achieve any space savings at all, it should have been possible to get 134 GB worth of source data onto a volume that had 174 GB free when the job started.

Plugger, is it possible that something else was writing to your destination at the same time?  In that case, some of the 174 GB that was free at the start of the backup would have been consumed by something other than this Reflect backup.

capair45
capair45
Guru
Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)
Wasn't there a post sometime ago about saving compressed images to a NTSF volume that is already compressed and that this would take up more disk space?  Just throwing that out there.

Windows 10 Home (21H1)  Build 19043.1237
Macrium Reflect 8.0.6161
Windows Defender
Malwarebytes Premium 4.4.6

dbminter
dbminter
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)
jphughan - 19 March 2021 4:11 PM
DB, there's nothing in the job log about any retention policy purges, but the job log states that at the beginning of the backup, there was 174 GB free at the destination.  It also says that the total size of the source data is 134 GB.  That is less than the 174 GB free on the destination.  So even if nothing on the destination was purged AND the High compression setting also indicated in the log wasn't able to achieve any space savings at all, it should have been possible to get 134 GB worth of source data onto a volume that had 174 GB free when the job started.

Plugger, is it possible that something else was writing to your destination at the same time?  In that case, some of the 174 GB that was free at the start of the backup would have been consumed by something other than this Reflect backup.

Oops!  You're right.  I completely missed that.
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)
capair45 - 19 March 2021 4:25 PM
Wasn't there a post sometime ago about saving compressed images to a NTSF volume that is already compressed and that this would take up more disk space?  Just throwing that out there.

Yes!  I totally forgot about that.  Good memory!

Plugger, do you have NTFS compression enabled on the destination volume?
Edited 19 March 2021 4:38 PM by jphughan
Drac144
Drac144
Guru
Guru (1K reputation)Guru (1K reputation)Guru (1K reputation)Guru (1K reputation)Guru (1K reputation)Guru (1K reputation)Guru (1K reputation)Guru (1K reputation)Guru (1K reputation)Guru (1K reputation)
What about the number of files:

Total Number of Files: 182197
Total Number of Folders: 11728

I do not know how Reflect calculates data size but if it is using the data in the file rather than the number of clusters needed, and there are a lot of files (which in this case there are), and if those files are small, there can be a lot of wasted space in the last cluster of each file which can magnify the amount of actual disk space needed.  There is also the 10% or so overhead for the file system itself (which is not included in the data size, right).
plugger
plugger
Junior Member (60 reputation)Junior Member (60 reputation)Junior Member (60 reputation)Junior Member (60 reputation)Junior Member (60 reputation)Junior Member (60 reputation)Junior Member (60 reputation)Junior Member (60 reputation)Junior Member (60 reputation)Junior Member (60 reputation)
I stumbled on an hypothesis.
It boils down to "Do not run two backup programs simultaneously".

Acronis was scheduled to run daily, shortly after midnight. I do not remember setting that.
I started Macrium shortly before the scheduled Acronis run.
Perhaps Acronis and Macrium got into a race for disk space, and blocked each other.
I did not know Acronis had run, because it exited silently, leaving no output file and no error message.
Anyhow, the Macrium backup works, when not colliding with Acronis.

(To answer jphughan's question from 19 March 2021 11:38 AM: No compression on the source drive.)

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Glad you got it sorted. But I was asking about NTFS compression on the destination drive. But it sounds like you found the underlying cause.
plugger
plugger
jphughan - 21 March 2021 7:29 PM
Glad you got it sorted. But I was asking about NTFS compression on the destination drive. But it sounds like you found the underlying cause.

Oops.  My dyslexia exchanged source and destination.
No compression on the destination drive.
I dislike compression.  When my 1T backup disks fail, I'll replace them with huge disks, and omit compressing the backup files.

And much thanks to all who helped.  I am grateful for your generosity.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search