Restore from SD

Author
Mike Kassis
New Member (21 reputation)New Member (21 reputation)New Member (21 reputation)New Member (21 reputation)New Member (21 reputation)New Member (21 reputation)New Member (21 reputation)New Member (21 reputation)New Member (21 reputation)New Member (21 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I've been backing up to a 512G SD card and I've even restored from the card although it's been a while.

Today I tried to restore but the program would not recognize the SD card (it's named SDXC (DSmile.

Help, please.
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (16K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (16K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (16K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (16K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (16K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (16K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (16K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (16K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (16K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (16K reputation)
You probably need to copy the driver for your memory card reader into the \Drivers\Disk folder of your Rescue Media.  Or better yet if you copy it into the Rescue Media "staging" folder on your C drive, it will be automatically included into all future Rescue Media builds.  Currently, Rescue Media Builder doesn't add drivers for USB-based devices, including USB Ethernet adapters, and most memory card readers interface with the system over USB.  If you're not sure what driver you'd need, can you post the model of your laptop or the model of your memory card reader if it's not built into your system?  And then also post the version of WinPE/RE you're using for Rescue Media, which you can see by opening Rescue Media Builder and checking the information at the top of the window.

Mike Kassis
Mike Kassis
New Member (21 reputation)New Member (21 reputation)New Member (21 reputation)New Member (21 reputation)New Member (21 reputation)New Member (21 reputation)New Member (21 reputation)New Member (21 reputation)New Member (21 reputation)New Member (21 reputation)
jphughan - 17 March 2021 4:58 AM
You probably need to copy the driver for your memory card reader into the \Drivers\Disk folder of your Rescue Media.  Or better yet if you copy it into the Rescue Media "staging" folder on your C drive, it will be automatically included into all future Rescue Media builds.  Currently, Rescue Media Builder doesn't add drivers for USB-based devices, including USB Ethernet adapters, and most memory card readers interface with the system over USB.  If you're not sure what driver you'd need, can you post the model of your laptop or the model of your memory card reader if it's not built into your system?  And then also post the version of WinPE/RE you're using for Rescue Media, which you can see by opening Rescue Media Builder and checking the information at the top of the window.

Thanks. I'll give it a try.
Mike Kassis
Mike Kassis
jphughan - 17 March 2021 4:58 AM

No success yet. Here's what I did.

In Device Manager - Disk drives - SDXC Card
I located the following:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS\disk.sys
C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\EhStorClass.sys
C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\partmgr.sys

I copied the following files to my Rescue USB DISK in the E:\Drivers\Disk folder as well as E:\Drivers\USB folder:
disk.sys
EhStorClass.sys
partmgr.sys
I then rebooted to the USB DISK but the SD (DSmile did not show.

Alternatively, I started to copy the 3 driver files into the Rescue Media "staging" folder on my C drive but I have no idea where that is.

Here is the content of C:\boot\macrium:
Disk
Ethernet
Network
USB
Wifi
Macrium.oem
SearchPaths.txt

Where would I copy the 3 drivers to?

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (16K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (16K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (16K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (16K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (16K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (16K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (16K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (16K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (16K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (16K reputation)
Those aren't the right drivers for the actual card reader.  Those are generic disk drivers built into Windows that Windows would use to access the disk device and file system.  Those drivers would already be built into the WinPE/RE environment that underpins Rescue Media.  And SYS files on their own can't be loaded as drivers anyway.  A driver package has to include an INF file.

As I suggested above, it would be helpful to identify either the laptop model you're using if this is a laptop with a built-in card reader, or else the model of the card reader itself -- as well as specifying the WinPE/RE version you're using.  Those answers would likely help identify the correct driver and definitely identify the path to the Rescue Media staging folder.

Edited 17 March 2021 8:05 PM by jphughan
Mike Kassis
Mike Kassis
jphughan - 17 March 2021 7:52 PM
Those aren't the right drivers for the actual card reader.  Those are generic disk drivers built into Windows that Windows would use to access the disk device and file system.  Those drivers would already be built into the WinPE/RE environment that underpins Rescue Media.  And SYS files on their own can't be loaded as drivers anyway.  A driver package has to include an INF file.

As I suggested above, it would be helpful to identify either the laptop model you're using if this is a laptop with a built-in card reader, or else the model of the card reader itself -- as well as specifying the WinPE/RE version you're using.  Those answers would likely help identify the correct driver and definitely identify the path to the Rescue Media staging folder.

Here ya go:

Windows PE 10 Release 1709 (64-bit)
Home Edition (64-bit) v 7.3.5672

LG gram 15Z980-A.AAS7U1

Built-in micro SD Card Reader

Thank you.
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Ok, well LG's Support site doesn't list very many drivers at all, and nothing for the card reader. In that case, you might have to resort to an app called Double Driver, which can extract full driver packages from Windows.  In terms of the device you're looking for though, check Device Manager and see if you have a category called "Memory technology devices".  Do you see your card reader in here, separate from the SD card itself?  If so, then that would be the device you'd want to look for in Double Driver.  Then select only that device and have it make a backup.  That will cause it to export a driver package into a folder.  Copy that folder to "C:\boot\macrium\WA10KDrivers\64Bit\Disk" so that the folder becomes a subfolder of Disk.  Each driver package is supposed to have its own folder rather than files being dumped directly into the Disk/Network/USB folders.  And then you don't need to put another copy elsewhere.  The USB folder is for actual USB host controller drivers, such as USB 3.x drivers for Windows PE 3.1 (Win7 kernel) Rescue Media.

Mike Kassis
Mike Kassis
jphughan - 17 March 2021 8:50 PM
Ok, well LG's Support site doesn't list very many drivers at all, and nothing for the card reader. In that case, you might have to resort to an app called Double Driver, which can extract full driver packages from Windows.  In terms of the device you're looking for though, check Device Manager and see if you have a category called "Memory technology devices".  Do you see your card reader in here, separate from the SD card itself?  If so, then that would be the device you'd want to look for in Double Driver.  Then select only that device and have it make a backup.  That will cause it to export a driver package into a folder.  Copy that folder to "C:\boot\macrium\WA10KDrivers\64Bit\Disk" so that the folder becomes a subfolder of Disk.  Each driver package is supposed to have its own folder rather than files being dumped directly into the Disk/Network/USB folders.  And then you don't need to put another copy elsewhere.  The USB folder is for actual USB host controller drivers, such as USB 3.x drivers for Windows PE 3.1 (Win7 kernel) Rescue Media.

Double Driver produced:
Main Folder: 15Z980-A.AAS7U1 3-17-2021 2-07-22 PM
Sub Folder: MTD
Sub Sub Folder: Realtek PCIE CardReader
Files:
  oem54.inf
  restore.ini
  RsCRIcon.dll
  RtsPer64.cat

I put 15Z980-A.AAS7U1 3-17-2021 2-07-22 PM into:
"C:\boot\macrium\WA10KDrivers\64Bit\Disk"

In Macrium I rebuilt both the Windows Boot Menu as well as the Removable USB Flash Drive

Neither one shows a D drive when implemented.

Sigh. Thanks again.
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Just as a sanity check, make sure that folder made it into the Drivers folder on your actual USB Rescue Media.  If it's there, then where were you looking for your D drive?  If you were expecting to see it in the Backup tab where Reflect shows a bunch of disks and their partition layouts, memory cards never appear there.  You'd want to look in the PE Explorer application, which you can launch by clicking the folder icon in the taskbar of the Rescue interface.  But if the driver folder is in your Rescue Media build and you still can't see SD cards in Rescue, I'm not sure what to suggest next.  The only other time I've helped someone with this, adding that driver resolved the issue.  Sorry!

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Actually, one more idea.  I realized that my own Dell work laptop has a Realtek memory card reader, so I checked the driver package that can actually be downloaded from Dell, and it has a few more files that Double Driver didn't grab -- including the actual RtsPer.sys file that is the main driver file.  So if you're up for it, try this:
  1. Download the Realtek PCI Card Reader driver for my Dell system from Dell here.
  2. Run it, but instead of clicking Install, click Extract.  In the folder selection window, select somewhere, click Make New Folder to create a new folder, and select that as the extraction target.
  3. In the folder you created, open the Install subfolder.  In there you should see a folder called DrvBin64.  Copy THAT folder into the Disk folder of your Rescue Media staging directory.  Delete the other one you have and rebuild your Rescue Media.

Edited 17 March 2021 9:54 PM by jphughan
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search