Log files - spurious?

Author
plugger
Junior Member (60 reputation)Junior Member (60 reputation)Junior Member (60 reputation)Junior Member (60 reputation)Junior Member (60 reputation)Junior Member (60 reputation)Junior Member (60 reputation)Junior Member (60 reputation)Junior Member (60 reputation)Junior Member (60 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
What are the ".txt" files in C:\Users\<MyUserName>\Documents\Reflect\?

Folder C:\Users\<MyUserName>\Documents\Reflect\ contains 2066 log files whose names are of the form log-<date time>.txt.
The oldest file is "log-2013-6-1 10.4.49".
The newest file that is not empty (0 bytes) is "log-2016-8-22 12.18.18.txt".
After that date, the files are empty.
The newest (empty) file is "log-2021-3-11 11.20.17.txt", two days ago as I write.
The dates and times in the file names are when I ran backups.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)
I don't have these, nor have I seen these reported elsewhere.  Are you perhaps using a custom PowerShell/VBS script to run your Reflect backups that might be generating these for some reason?  Otherwise, did you work with Macrium Support at one point and enable some sort of debug mode or registry setting that might have caused those files to be generated?  I don't know if a mode that results in these TXT files actually exists within Reflect, but it might.

plugger
plugger
Junior Member (60 reputation)Junior Member (60 reputation)Junior Member (60 reputation)Junior Member (60 reputation)Junior Member (60 reputation)Junior Member (60 reputation)Junior Member (60 reputation)Junior Member (60 reputation)Junior Member (60 reputation)Junior Member (60 reputation)
jphughan - 13 March 2021 6:20 PM
I don't have these, nor have I seen these reported elsewhere.  Are you perhaps using a custom PowerShell/VBS script to run your Reflect backups that might be generating these for some reason?  Otherwise, did you work with Macrium Support at one point and enable some sort of debug mode or registry setting that might have caused those files to be generated?  I don't know if a mode that results in these TXT files actually exists within Reflect, but it might.

Thanks!
Your hints told me something is out of whack in my setup.
To wit, this:
Several years ago, I generated VBScript files to run my XML files.
Those VBScript files create log files after running the XML file.
But the text produced from running the XML is empty.

To see whether my VBScript files are correct, I generated a new VBS file.
It does not create a log file.
In 2016, the code started generating empty log files.
My forensics tell me that in 2016, something happened. (That was an election year in the USA.)
(I see HTML log files in "C:\Users\All Users\Macrium\Reflect".)

New VBScript code (in Function backup):
' Run the backup or image
    Set objShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
    iReturnCode = objShell.Run(strCmdLine, 1, true)

Old VBScript code (in Function backup):
' Run the backup or image
    Set objShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
    Set objExecObject = objShell.Exec(strCmdLine)

' Log to file
    strLogFileName = "C:\Users\RJD\Documents\Reflect\log-" & Year(Date) & "-" & Month(Date) & "-" & Day(Date) & " " & Hour(Time) & "." & Minute(Time) & "." & Second(Time) & ".txt"
    Set objFS = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
    Set objNewFile = objFS.OpenTextFile(strLogFileName , 8, 1)
    Do Until objExecObject.StdOut.AtEndOfStream
        strLine = objExecObject.StdOut.ReadLine()
        If Instr(strLine , "%") = 0 Then
            objNewFile.WriteLine strLine
        end if
    Loop

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore