Destination Drive Discovery Set of VolumeIDs

Author
mallux
New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Reflect offers an option to change the Destiantion Drive Discovery.
Via drive letter or VolumeID.

I wonder, why Reflect only allows one VolumeID instead of offering to define a set of VolumeIDs.
You normally don't want to have only one external harddrive for Backups.You change them daily which is only working via driveletter in Reflect.
Other backup tools offer this feature since years and can prevent the drive letter chaos completely.

And reason why there is no progress in that areas for years?

Beardy
Beardy
Proficient Member
Proficient Member (382 reputation)Proficient Member (382 reputation)Proficient Member (382 reputation)Proficient Member (382 reputation)Proficient Member (382 reputation)Proficient Member (382 reputation)Proficient Member (382 reputation)Proficient Member (382 reputation)Proficient Member (382 reputation)Proficient Member (382 reputation)
The setting you refer to is a "What method?" choice, Not the definition of the destination.
If you're wanting to do a disk rotation for your target drives, you'd specify those when creating the backup definition itself as the primary & alternate destinations.

The feature appears to be there already.
mallux
mallux
New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)
Beardy - 8 March 2021 10:36 AM
The setting you refer to is a "What method?" choice, Not the definition of the destination.
If you're wanting to do a disk rotation for your target drives, you'd specify those when creating the backup definition itself as the primary & alternate destinations.

The feature appears to be there already.

The primary and alternate destination is for drive letters. I'm not aware of alternate VolumeIDs.

The feature I'm looking for is, that you can define a set of "Volume identifiers" as a destination. So you have no issue with reassigned drive letters.

This is a common feature in other backup tools, when they allow you do define a destination pool of harddisks.

Beardy
Beardy
Proficient Member
Proficient Member (382 reputation)Proficient Member (382 reputation)Proficient Member (382 reputation)Proficient Member (382 reputation)Proficient Member (382 reputation)Proficient Member (382 reputation)Proficient Member (382 reputation)Proficient Member (382 reputation)Proficient Member (382 reputation)Proficient Member (382 reputation)
The primary & alternate destination presents drive letters in the UI, & if set to use Volume ID in settings, records the Vol ID in the generated xml file, then uses that when backups run.

You can probably type volume identifiers into the box too, though browse wouldn't offer them.

I know it's a common feature, & it's not that Reflect lacks it, just that it could be made clearer how to use it.. 
mallux
mallux
Beardy - 8 March 2021 11:45 AM
The primary & alternate destination presents drive letters in the UI, & if set to use Volume ID in settings, records the Vol ID in the generated xml file, then uses that when backups run.

You can probably type volume identifiers into the box too, though browse wouldn't offer them.

I know it's a common feature, & it's not that Reflect lacks it, just that it could be made clearer how to use it.. 

Thanks for the hint. That would explain, why I saw identifiers from time to time in the destination field when issues occurred.
Will have to check if that works.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)
The discovery method is completely independent from the "Alternative Locations" feature that you seem to be looking for in order to specify multiple destinations.  You specify the discovery method you want to use, and then within any given definition file you can specify multiple alternative locations that will be defined in terms of your chosen discovery method.

This has existed at least since Reflect V6 that arrived over 6 years ago.  It sounds like you already knew about Alternative Locations.  Have you just been assuming this entire time that you couldn't use that feature when you had enabled volume identifier discovery?

If I enable volume identifier discovery and then use Alternative Locations to specify more than one destination, I still see any currently online destinations based on their current drive letter within the Reflect UI for readability, but in the XML I end up with this:

- <destination>
- <!-- Fully qualified path to destination directory. Can include the Volume GUID path
-->
- <!-- The 'drive' attribute is the drive letter initially associated with the GUID path and is used when displaying path errors
-->
<directory drive="D">\\?\Volume{2e2c55b0-17ac-4472-ae3c-6ff58a3c4392}\Macrium Reflect Backups\Test\</directory>
<directory_1 drive="F">\\?\Volume{e996321a-d723-4197-b4b3-fbaf45d50d52}\Macrium Reflect Backups\Test\</directory_1>

Edited 8 March 2021 2:24 PM by jphughan
mallux
mallux
jphughan - 8 March 2021 2:16 PM
Have you just been assuming this entire time that you couldn't use that feature when you had enabled volume identifier discovery?

Yes, that is the case. But I tried it once, but didn't choose the alternative location after changing the discovery method. Good that I asked after years ;-)

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search