Snapshot function in Windows version of Reflect

Author
dbminter
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
The Rescue Media version of Reflect has a snapshot function in the form of the little camera icon in the lower left corner of the interface.  I was wondering if implementing the same thing in the Windows version of Reflect might make it easier on the user.  For instance, to take screen captures in Windows, the Print Screen key doesn't work when Reflect is the active window.  So, you have to manually either launch the snipping tool or remember the Windows key triple stroke combination that invokes it.  Then , you have to manually select what you want to capture.  Or use third party tools to capture the screen.  Reflect doing this for the user could save some steps.

Plus, I would wonder if a native screen capturing function in the Windows Reflect might be more intuitive for the user that invoking snipping tools or third party screen capture applications.

Thanks!

Beardy
Beardy
Proficient Member
Proficient Member (382 reputation)Proficient Member (382 reputation)Proficient Member (382 reputation)Proficient Member (382 reputation)Proficient Member (382 reputation)Proficient Member (382 reputation)Proficient Member (382 reputation)Proficient Member (382 reputation)Proficient Member (382 reputation)Proficient Member (382 reputation)
PrintScreen key works here just fine, as does Alt+PrintScreen to capture only the active window then paste into paint.
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)
There's also the Snipping Tool, which has been built into Windows since Win7, or WinKey+Shift+S to capture a screenshot in more recent versions of Windows 10.  In Rescue, the screenshot button appears in the taskbar. I would not want Reflect installing a screenshot button in my full Windows taskbar, nor do I think it makes a lot of sense for individual Windows apps to all include their own screenshot button/capability when that's already implemented at an OS level and offered in enhanced forms by third-party apps specifically meant for screen captures.

dbminter
dbminter
Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)
@Beardy  I should have been clearer.  The Print Screen key does not open the Snipping Tool when Reflect is the active window.  Like other applications like Notepad, Print Screen doesn't do that when certain windows are active.  What you say about Print Screen capturing the screen so you can paste into Paint does work.  I hadn't thought of trying that.  Smile

@jphughan  I do use the Snipping Tool, but I always have to Search for it to find out what the Windows key combo is.  And I was thinking a native screen capture would save the user from having to manually select the screen real estate they want to capture.

I agree that a camera icon is not what I was thinking of.  I should have made that clearer.  I was thinking like some kind of command in Other Tasks to take a screen capture.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)
Print Screen has never opened the Snipping Tool, at least not by default.  It just captures a screenshot to the clipboard.  My Print Screen key works just fine when Reflect is active, but maybe that's because I haven't tried to customize its function.  But I don't use it much because I normally don't want a screenshot of my entire dual or triple display desktop, and I'm pretty sure I've encountered laptop keyboards that don't even have that key anymore, rather like Scroll Lock). Using it and pasting into Paint does work, though.

When I want to make a screenshot of anything, I just tap my Windows key to surface the Start menu, start typing "Snipping Tool", and then press Enter to start it.  That's fast enough for me.  I haven't gotten into the habit of using WinKey+Shift+S yet, but that would be even faster.  I'm still not convinced that Reflect is so different from any other application to justify having its own in-app screenshot capability within full Windows, however.

Edited 3 March 2021 6:53 PM by jphughan
dbminter
dbminter
I may have configured my system manually to invoke Snip & Sketch when Print Screen is pressed.  I incorrectly said Snipping Tool was started, but I believe Print Screen is invoking Snip & Sketch instead.

Beardy
Beardy
Proficient Member
Proficient Member (382 reputation)Proficient Member (382 reputation)Proficient Member (382 reputation)Proficient Member (382 reputation)Proficient Member (382 reputation)Proficient Member (382 reputation)Proficient Member (382 reputation)Proficient Member (382 reputation)Proficient Member (382 reputation)Proficient Member (382 reputation)
I don't think I've ever used the snipping tool, I've not the first idea how it even works or why I'd want it, I find Alt+PrtSrcr plenty adequate for most instances, I do have an alternate third party tool installed (in a very old version) for those rare occasions I want the ability to capture something different from just the active window, but I use Alt+PrtScr way more often if I want any sort of screenshot.
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Well @Beardy if you ever get curious, the Snipping Tool is not difficult to find or grasp, so a brief expedition should be more than enough for you to determine whether it might be useful.  I've had times where I was convinced I didn't need anything more than I had, until I ended up using something that offered more.  In the case of Snipping Tool, when I only want to capture a segment of an application window or perhaps more than one application window but less than my entire multi-display desktop, I've found that it's often faster for me to use the Snipping Tool's ability to draw a rectangle to define the capture area than capture more than I need and then crop it elsewhere.

dbminter
dbminter
@Beardy

I taught myself how to use Snip & Sketch once I learned of its existence.  It's fairly intuitive as to how to use it.

Beardy
Beardy
Proficient Member
Maybe I'll try it, though from the description, my ancient version of SnagIt that I rarely use does so with an interface that's familiar to me.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search