Rescue/BitLocker Auto unlock

Author
zgrayfox
New Member (24 reputation)New Member (24 reputation)New Member (24 reputation)New Member (24 reputation)New Member (24 reputation)New Member (24 reputation)New Member (24 reputation)New Member (24 reputation)New Member (24 reputation)New Member (24 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Dell Latitude 5520/W10 Pro 20H2
Reflect 7.3.5555

First experience using Reflect with BitLocker enabled drives

Background: After initial setup of the Latitude 5520 the OS (CSmile volume was BitLocker enabled. Installed Reflect 7.3.5555 and built a rescue FD with BitLocker support and Auto unlock selected. When booted into winRE from the Rescue FD the OS volume was unlocked as expected. Now I wanted to explore using a microSD card as a secondary method for Reflect backups/restores. I inserted a 512G microSD card, enabled BitLocker To Go, then under BitLocker management enabled Auto Unlock on this computer. Booted to the Rescue FD but it didn’t see the new “drive” at all. Although Reflect indicated there were no unsupported devices, looking at the rescue log I realized there were no drivers for the card reader. I copied the RealTek card reader driver files from the Dell to the rescue disk. I also placed a copy of the Recovery Key “.txt” file (not a “.bek” file) in the root of the rescue FD. Now booting to the rescue FD not only did it see the microSD drive but it was unlocked. Since I did not rebuild the flash drive on the system after setting up the BitLocker micoSD card, can someone explain how Reflect rescue is unlocking this drive?

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)
Auto-unlock can use BEK files or TXT files. I suspect if you were to delete that TXT file, the auto-unlock for your SD card would stop working. I asked Macrium about the TXT method and they said it was added because they encountered some cases where the BEK files didn’t work as expected.
zgrayfox
zgrayfox
New Member (24 reputation)New Member (24 reputation)New Member (24 reputation)New Member (24 reputation)New Member (24 reputation)New Member (24 reputation)New Member (24 reputation)New Member (24 reputation)New Member (24 reputation)New Member (24 reputation)
jphughan - 28 February 2021 10:58 PM

Thanks - I can confirm that when I changed the ".txt" extension to ".xtxtx" and rebooted into rescue FD the micoSD was not unlocked. I suspected Macrium might be using the ".txt" Recovery Key but was a little surprised that they were.

Roland Stoller
Roland Stoller
Talented Member
Talented Member (132 reputation)Talented Member (132 reputation)Talented Member (132 reputation)Talented Member (132 reputation)Talented Member (132 reputation)Talented Member (132 reputation)Talented Member (132 reputation)Talented Member (132 reputation)Talented Member (132 reputation)Talented Member (132 reputation)
Thanks to this thread, I learned something more about Macrium and BitLocker.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  Ben Franklin revisited.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search