No source Drives available

Author
FBLicenses
New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)
Group: Awaiting Activation
Brand new Dell 5420 and/or 9410 trying to take an image. Booting from Macrium USB there is no source Drive available to select for backing up. 
capair45
capair45
Expert
Expert (900 reputation)Expert (900 reputation)Expert (900 reputation)Expert (900 reputation)Expert (900 reputation)Expert (900 reputation)Expert (900 reputation)Expert (900 reputation)Expert (900 reputation)Expert (900 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
If you launch Reflect from within Windows, do you see your source drive?  What are you using as your destination device to store your backups?

Windows 10 Home (20H2)
Macrium Reflect 7.3.5758
Windows Defender
Malwarebytes Premium 4.3.0

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)
The most likely cause of this behavior based on the systems you're using is that your current Rescue Media build does not have the Intel Rapid Storage driver included, or has an outdated version included.  This would be solved by building Rescue Media on the system you're trying to image, but if you're using a "foreign" Rescue Media build, then add the Intel RST driver manually.  Go here, get the F6 floppy version for 64-bit (assuming your Rescue Media uses the 64-bit version of WinPE/RE), then open the zip file.  You'll see folders for a variety of OSes.  The correct folder will depend on the version of WinPE/RE you used for your Rescue Media build, which is shown in the title bar at the top of the Rescue interface.  Copy the appropriate folder to your Rescue Media under \Drivers\Disk.  Then boot from Rescue Media again

dbminter
dbminter
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (3.4K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.4K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.4K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.4K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.4K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.4K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.4K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.4K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.4K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.4K reputation)
Did you create this Rescue Media on the Dell 5420/9410 or was this preexisting Rescue Media from a different Dell or other PC?  I had a case where I had an older Dell and my Rescue Made made on it would not recognize the SSD installed in a newer Dell I got.  Once I created new Rescue Media on the new Dell, it did recognize my SSD.  If you haven't made Rescue Media on this new Dell 5420/9410, try doing so and see if the new Rescue Media recognizes all your drives.

FBLicenses
FBLicenses
New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)
Wiped the Dell's thinking my Rescue media would work :/
I had built this Rescue Media on a Dell 7480 and have put the RST drivers on the Media. Still no joy. Unfortunately, I can't boot to Windows to launch Reflect. 

@capair45 -> I can't boot from Windows. I have a 1TB Seagate External USB
@jphughan -> Can't build on either of these wiped devices. I have added the proper drivers to the rescue media. Rebooted after trying several of the options. No joy.
@dbminter -> This was a pre-existing media (It has always worked flawlessly) made from a Dell 7480
dbminter
dbminter
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (3.4K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.4K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.4K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.4K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.4K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.4K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.4K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.4K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.4K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.4K reputation)
Yes, I think the best solution would have been to remake the Rescue Media on this new Dell.  But, seeing as it seems you can't do that now, I don't know where to go from here except possibly restoring the Dell factory default image, if it's still accessible, on the new Dell, reinstall Reflect on the new Dell, and creating new Rescue Media.  Or, if you can't get access to the Dell recovery partition, to download Windows installation media, set up Windows on this new Dell, install Reflect on the new Dell, and try creating new Rescue Media on the new Dell.

A possible workaround, though not guaranteed to work in this case, is to try creating new Rescue Media on another computer you have access to/a computer someone is willing to let you install the free version of Reflect on.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)
If you go to the Restore menu (not tab) in the Rescue Media and click View Unsupported Devices, do you see any storage controllers?  If so, what are the details on it?  If not, I'm still thinking that the Intel RST driver is the culprit here, because Intel annoyingly decided to use the same Device ID for all generations of their RST controllers, which means that any RST driver will be considered a match for any controller generation, and therefore Windows will load that driver, even if that driver is too old to actually work with that controller generation properly.

In any case, if you're not seeing your internal storage, then I'm not sure how or why you're so confident that you've added the proper drivers.  Even if you loaded the correct version of the latest Intel RST release, that suggestion was just a guess based on the very limited information you provided upfront, so that may not even be the specific driver that was missing.

And even more fundamentally than that, I don't understand what you mean by saying you can't build Rescue Media on either of these Dell devices because you wiped them.  If you wiped them, then why are you trying to take an image of them in the first place?  I figured you were trying to make an image of these systems from Rescue Media in order to capture the factory state before making any modifications.

But if they're wiped, then I agree with dbminter that performing a clean installation of Windows and all necessary drivers and then installing Reflect in order to create Rescue Media from that specific machine is probably the right way to go.  Then you'll see what drivers it adds to the build.  Alternatively, if they're wiped, try switching the systems from RAID to AHCI mode in the BIOS.  Does that allow your internal storage to appear in Rescue?  If so, then the Intel RST driver is (was) definitely your culprit.  But unless you actually plan to use any features of the Intel RST controller, you could just leave your system in AHCI mode and not have to worry about that driver at all.

If you want additional assistance, I would suggest replying with information about the View Unsupported Devices dialog, as well as specifying the version of Reflect and the version of WinPE/RE your Rescue Media is using.

Edited 24 February 2021 11:29 PM by jphughan
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Quick additional note about amount of information you provide in order to obtain assistance from others.  Even your system models are ambiguous here.  Dell reuses its model numbering across multiple product lines, so saying "Dell 5420" could mean Inspiron 5420, Latitude 5420, Precision 5420, or OptiPlex 5420.  Those are obviously all very different systems.  Based on you mentioning both the 5420 and 9410 and the note that they're both brand new, I'm guessing they're both Latitudes, but here again that's good info to provide upfront.

FBLicenses
FBLicenses
Thank you for the assistance that you have provided. My apologies for not providing adequate information or even enough information for you to assist effectively. Unfortunately, there have been a number of things going on and the multitasking I have been doing prevented me from providing extensive and exhaustive detail. 
I will do my best to provide you with accurate and informative information  moving forward. I have a Macrium Reflect - Workstation Edition v7.2.4601 license. I am using recovery media that was built on a Dell Latitude 7480 (i7-7th Gen 16 GB mem and Seagate 256 SSD drives) (roughly 2 years old) The Recovery Media contains a Windows RE 10 Release 1803 (64 Bit) UEFI build. I have imaged almost 100 of the aforementioned Dell Latitude 7480 models (i7-7th Gen 16 GB mem and Seagate 256 SSD drives, I can get the specific model of the SSD if required) over the last year using this USB. 
Equipment purchased last week from CDW
Dell Latitude 9410 ST: C00T473
Dell Latitude 5420 ST: 5G3R493
Intel RST Versions added to the USB Media in the \Drivers\Disk folder
Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) User Interface and Driver -> Version: 16.8.3.1003 (Latest) Date: 7/2/2020
Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) User Interface and Driver -> Version: 15.9.8.1050 (Previously Released) Date: 7/15/2020
Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) User Interface and Driver -> Version: 14.8.16.1063 (Previously Released) Date: 10/20/2020
All of these were added to the drivers folder and a reboot was executed with the same result
I added the following as the "Unsupported Devices" Indicated Networking and RAID controllers that are missing. I don't care about networking at this point.
Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (RAID) for Windows® 10 64-bit for NUC11PHKi7C -> Version: 18.0.1.1138.2 (Latest) Date: 1/13/2021
The devices with no drivers has 2 items:
RAID Controller VEN_8086 DEV_02D7 HDC No Driver loaded
Network Controller VEN_8086 DEV_02F0 NIC No Driver Loaded
As I said I don't care about the NIC.

I am confident that I followed the instructions and went so far as to try several other options and driver sets prior to returning to the forum. Are they the correct drivers, I don't really know. What I do know is that I tried doing as instructed with them and I am still not seeing the internal storage.

As for what I am doing....Yes, I was trying to take a factory image of each of these models before deploying a custom build on them for deployment. When I was unable to "See" the internal media, I used the Dell data wipe in the BIOS in an attempt to make the drive visible. This did not work and as a result I found that a restore or dropping an image was not going to be possible as the drive was still not visible. 
This work was being performed in order to be proactive for the equipment refresh that I will be performing in the coming weeks in which I will need to be able to boot and image the new Dell Latitude 5420 computers that will replace the current fleet of Dell Latitude 7480's. The Dell Latitude 9410 is a limited distribution so there are only going to be a few of them. 

I will look at switching the BIOS RAID to AHCI mode settings shortlyy and respond with the results.

As of now, still no joy. Again, my apologies for the lack of clarity. I hope that I have provided accurate enough information this go round. 
Thank you for the assistance.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Ok, now we're getting somewhere! Smile

Ok, so your Rescue Media is running a WinRE 10 kernel.  In terms of Rapid Storage, I just checked support.dell.com for the Latitude 5420 and downloaded its Rapid Storage driver (link to the latest version as of this writing here).  When I ran that and clicked Extract to simply see the files rather than installing the package and browsed into the \15063 subfolder, both the Drivers and F6 folders below that had WAY more Intel RST components than I've seen in the past.  Nomally there's just iaAHCI (for AHCI mode) and iaStor (for RAID mode), but this package had additional drivers for an HSA component and extension and a pinning component.  I have no idea what those are at the moment, but you might need them.  So I would try copying the entire 15063 folder over to \Drivers\Disk to have all of those drivers available and then see what happens.  Hopefully that removes the Unsupported Device.  But if not, then try going into that Unsupported Devices interface and using that interface to manually have Reflect search that 15063 folder for a suitable driver, just in case there's an auto-load issue at startup or something.  In any case, an unsupported storage controller is definitely causing this issue, and in all likelihood it's going to require the correct driver in order to resolve, and therefore see those disks.

But since you already wiped the disks, then it would seem that you could still just install Windows and the necessary drivers on this system and then install Reflect to see what drivers it automatically adds to a Rescue Media build generated on that system, rather than dealing with manual modifications to "foreign" Rescue Media.

I'm also curious what happens with AHCI mode, so please do report back on that.  I would expect that to work without further drivers, but given the complexity of this Intel RST driver package, I'm not so sure.

Lastly, this may not be relevant to your situation since I realize you didn't specify how you deploy images to these systems, but if you're using Reflect to deploy the custom builds you're creating, that requires a Deployment Kit license for Reflect, described here.  Otherwise, you'd need a paid Reflect license for each system you'd be deploying onto, even if you would not also be making backups of those systems later.  In fact technically, Rescue Media created by a paid version of Reflect can only be used on a system that actually has a paid Reflect license allocated to it, unless again you have another licensing arrangement like that Deployment Kit.  But if you're deploying images through some other means, then no worries.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search