Need help to determine my backup strategy

Author
d2racing911
New Member (29 reputation)New Member (29 reputation)New Member (29 reputation)New Member (29 reputation)New Member (29 reputation)New Member (29 reputation)New Member (29 reputation)New Member (29 reputation)New Member (29 reputation)New Member (29 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
dbminter - 27 February 2021 10:14 PM
I was a bit confused over the did start at 2 AM statement myself.

Yeah, I did run a manual full backup, I thought that running it in advance of the schedule could end up with the incremental running at 2h00 am.

AFAIK, the schedule will start on march 1 at 2am with a full for every backup task.
d2racing911
d2racing911
New Member (29 reputation)New Member (29 reputation)New Member (29 reputation)New Member (29 reputation)New Member (29 reputation)New Member (29 reputation)New Member (29 reputation)New Member (29 reputation)New Member (29 reputation)New Member (29 reputation)
jphughan - 27 February 2021 10:04 PM
I'm not sure what you're asking here. Did you mean to say that your backup did NOT start at 2 AM?  In your post above you say it "did start", in which case I don't see a problem.  But if you have multiple completely separate jobs all set to start at the same time, Reflect will not run them all simultaneously.  It will run them sequentially.  Also, it appears you have many different definition files but you're using the exact same schedules for all of them.  Unless you are using different retention policy settings for those jobs, then you might want to consider backing up all of those folders in the same job in order to simplify your configuration.  A File & Folder backup job can include more than one source folder, even if they are on different drives, as shown below.  If you need to use different retention policies for different data and/or want to back up that data to different locations, then you will want to have separate definition files.  But if you are using the same schedule, retention policy, and destination folder for all of the jobs in your screenshot, then you should consolidate all of those into a single backup job.  Also, you do not have to manually run a Full.  If Reflect ever has a Differential or Incremental scheduled to occur and it isn't possible to create one of those because there is no Full available, then Reflect will automatically create a Full instead.  And the job log will note that this happened and why it happened.

Here is an example of a single File & Folder backup job that includes 3 completely different folders on 3 different drives.  All of this will be backed up as a single job.

Right now, I'm testing how the program works and how can I tweak my backup strategy, because for example, my APP folder doesn't require to be backup every night with an incremental. My documents and my pictures yes for sure.

I separate my jobs, because I have some really big folder (1 TB of pictures), so I don't want to end up with a single backup job of 2TB that runs an incremental every day.

Like I said, I will for sure remove some directory that will only need a weekly backup and a full every month.

d2racing911
d2racing911
Thanks everyone for your comments.

I think I found what I need Tongue

d2racing911
d2racing911
Just a quick update to say that everything is going pretty well with my scedule.

I added a image disk of my Windows and my drive games just in case something goes wrong.

Really happy with the result.

Thanks everyone for the help.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)
Thanks for reporting back, and great to hear! Smile
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search