MR v7.3.5555 sees destination as part of backup

Author
TWU47
New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I installed Windows 10 2020H2 a week ago (because of plenty bsod-resets) and now most things are in order.
Now I could successfully do a backup of my SSD system disk, but when I tried to backup my HDD the program says that the destination USB disk on drive J is part of the image. It is not. I try to backup partitions F, G, H and I to destination J.

CraigS26
CraigS26
Talented Member
Talented Member (141 reputation)Talented Member (141 reputation)Talented Member (141 reputation)Talented Member (141 reputation)Talented Member (141 reputation)Talented Member (141 reputation)Talented Member (141 reputation)Talented Member (141 reputation)Talented Member (141 reputation)Talented Member (141 reputation)
This happened to me when I was new to Macrium.
Below your two Disks pic is more to be seen, so use the Rt-side Scroll-Bar to drag down and you'll See your J: drive Target AND that it is wrongly Checked.
Un-Chk it and you should be good to go.

Macrium V7.3.5758 - WIN 10 Pro 20H2 - ESET EIS Prem - Mbam Prem - Diskeeper Pro '15 -

capair45
capair45
Expert
Expert (900 reputation)Expert (900 reputation)Expert (900 reputation)Expert (900 reputation)Expert (900 reputation)Expert (900 reputation)Expert (900 reputation)Expert (900 reputation)Expert (900 reputation)Expert (900 reputation)
TWU47 - 24 February 2021 1:11 PM
I installed Windows 10 2020H2 a week ago (because of plenty bsod-resets) and now most things are in order.
Now I could successfully do a backup of my SSD system disk, but when I tried to backup my HDD the program says that the destination USB disk on drive J is part of the image. It is not. I try to backup partitions F, G, H and I to destination J.

Hard to tell from your screenshot but scroll down a bit and locate drive J.  Make sure there is no check mark in the selection box.  If there is, it would mean you were trying to make the destination (J) part of the backup image.  Had this happen to me once.

Windows 10 Home (20H2)
Macrium Reflect 7.3.5758
Windows Defender
Malwarebytes Premium 4.3.0

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)
I agree with the notes above.  It doesn't appear that drive J is even shown in the view you captured, in which case you can't tell from that view whether it is or isn't included.  But if you scroll down, until you can actually see drive J selected, you will very likely find that it is in fact selected for inclusion in the backup.

If you only ever want to make image backups of a single disk, an easy way to avoid this is to use the "Image this disk" function in Reflect rather than clicking "Image selected disks on tis computer", the latter of which can include selections from multiple disks.

Edited 24 February 2021 2:07 PM by jphughan
dbminter
dbminter
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (3.4K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.4K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.4K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.4K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.4K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.4K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.4K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.4K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.4K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.4K reputation)
I also use J as the partition letter of my Reflect images.  Smile 

I agree with everyone else.  Check your XML definition if you're using one to make sure J didn't get checked to add to the Source list of partitions.  If it did, uncheck it.  Plus, after updating to 20H2, your partition layout may have changed due to the Recovery partition needing either creation or resizing for a new partition size.  This can affect old XML files as the partition layout could be different post 20H2 update.

TWU47
TWU47
New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)
Thank you for many good ideas.
Now, 8 hours later, I tried the same operation and there was no problem.
The backup completed in 16 minutes (to my Seagate USB 3 drive).
I have used Macrium Reflect since 2013 and never had anything like that before.
Problem solved, I think.
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)
If you're not already doing this, consider saving your job as a definition file so that you can simply run that going forward rather than stepping through the wizard every single time you want a backup.  Going through the wizard once and saving your job parameters is a great way to avoid errors like this.

Edited 24 February 2021 9:32 PM by jphughan
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search