Can't boot to Windows 8

Author
Docfxit
New Member (21 reputation)New Member (21 reputation)New Member (21 reputation)New Member (21 reputation)New Member (21 reputation)New Member (21 reputation)New Member (21 reputation)New Member (21 reputation)New Member (21 reputation)New Member (21 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I wanted to use the "Fix Windows boot problems" feature in Macrium.

I tried booting to my USB rescue media.  It wouldn't boot because Legacy is disabled in the BIOS.
I enabled Legacy and booted the rescue media. I selected Fix Windows boot problems.
It found Windows 8.1 in C:\Windows.
I selected finish.
It said:
Green Check EFI partition found on disk 1
Red X Removing old BCD
Creating BCD for C:\Windows.
A new window came up saying:
Restart your PC.
I selected Yes and changed the bios back to Legacy disabled.
When the PC boots I get this error:
Boot Device Not Found
Please install an operating system on your hard disk
Hard Disk (3F0)
When I boot to Partition Wizard USB it shows
g: 679mb fat32 GPT(Efi system partition) Active & System
C: 28.46GB NTFS  GPT(data partition) Boot

What can I do to get this PC to boot into windows?

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)
If your Windows disk is set up as GPT and therefore set up for UEFI booting, then you have to boot the Rescue Media in UEFI mode for Fix Boot Problems to work properly.  The fixes that the Rescue Media environment attempts depend on how the Rescue Media itself was booted.  So if you boot it in Legacy mode, then it won't attempt fixes appropriate for a UEFI-based OS installation.  If your Rescue Media device won't boot in UEFI mode, make sure that it was built using WinPE 4.0 or later and that the flash drive is formatted as FAT32, not NTFS.  If you built your Rescue Media using Reflect, there's an "Enable multi-boot" checkbox that you can use to make sure that the flash drive you create supports UEFI booting.

In terms of your partition notes though, this makes no sense:
g: 679mb fat32 GPT(Efi system partition) Active & System

An EFI System Partition is typically 100 MB, not 679 MB.  A 679 MB partition sounds more like a Windows Recovery partition, but that would be an NTFS partition.  Additionally, the concept of an "active" partition doesn't exist on GPT disks.  That only applies to MBR disks.  And GPT is a partition layout scheme that applies to the entire disk, not a property of a specific partition.  Can you boot into your Rescue Media again, click the Backup tab, and capture a screenshot of your disk's layout as Reflect displays it?  There's a camera icon in the Rescue Media taskbar that can be used to capture a screenshot.  Choose to save the screenshot to your flash drive.

Edited 24 February 2021 6:07 AM by jphughan
Docfxit
Docfxit
New Member (21 reputation)New Member (21 reputation)New Member (21 reputation)New Member (21 reputation)New Member (21 reputation)New Member (21 reputation)New Member (21 reputation)New Member (21 reputation)New Member (21 reputation)New Member (21 reputation)

If your Windows disk is set up as GPT and therefore set up for UEFI booting, then you have to boot the Rescue Media in UEFI mode for Fix Boot Problems to work properly. The fixes that the Rescue Media environment attempts depend on how the Rescue Media itself was booted. So if you boot it in Legacy mode, then it won't attempt fixes appropriate for a UEFI-based OS installation. If your Rescue Media device won't boot in UEFI mode, make sure that it was built using WinPE 4.0 or later and that the flash drive is formatted as FAT32, not NTFS. If you built your Rescue Media using Reflect, there's an "Enable multi-boot" checkbox that you can use to make sure that the flash drive you create supports UEFI booting.

The PC that can't boot hard drive is GPT.  It is set up for UEFI booting.  The Rescue Media USB I am using is 16gb formatted FAT32.  I have tried creating the Rescue Media in Macrium with "Enable Multiboot (MBR/UEFI)" checked.  It won't boot the PC.  I have tried creating the Rescue Media in Macrium with "Enable Multiboot (MBR/UEFI)" not checked.  It won't boot the PC.  I am using Windows PE 10 Release 1709 (64-bit) Macrium v7.3.5555.
This is the PC that won't boot:

How can I create the Rescue Media so it will boot the PC with Legacy disabled?
Thank you,
Docfxit

Docfxit
Docfxit
An EFI System Partition is typically 100 MB, not 679 MB. A 679 MB partition sounds more like a Windows Recovery partition, but that would be an NTFS partition. Additionally, the concept of an "active" partition doesn't exist on GPT disks. That only applies to MBR disks. And GPT is a partition layout scheme that applies to the entire disk, not a property of a specific partition.

I originally had the EFI System Partition created 100mb FAT32.  I found some web sites said it needed 500mb.  The partition isn't working.  I can delete it easily.  How can I create it correctly?

Thank you,
Docfxit
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)
Windows defaults to using a 100 MB partition on clean installs, and my own EFI partition is only using 27 MB of that, so I'm not sure what website said you needed 500 MB there.  Again, that's a typical size of a the Windows Recovery partition, so maybe that created some confusion.

What's also unusual is that you don't seem to have an MSR partition, or at least it isn't shown in your photo above.

Creating an EFI and MSR partition can be done using Diskpart, which is built into WinPE/RE.  Macrium's KB article for how to prep a disk for GPT when restoring from an MBR disk here has the appropriate commands in Step 3 here.  Make sure you're selecting the correct disk number for your situation though, and understand that the command will wipe the current contents of the disk.  The expectation is that after you create those partitions, you would restore your Windows and Windows Recovery partitions into the empty space after those two partitions.  But the final step is getting the actual bootloader files copied into that EFI partition you created.  Reflect achieves that using its Fix Boot Problems wizard, but if you can't use that, then you might have to rely on Microsoft's "bcdboot" utility for that purpose.  That would involve temporarily assigning the EFI partition a drive letter.

If you can't get your Rescue Media to boot in UEFI mode even though your Windows environment boots in UEFI mode, that is a problem worth solving.  Given that you've already confirmed that your flash drive is formatted as FAT32 (and is initialized as MBR since it also works in Legacy BIOS mode), that should work properly and DOES work properly on several systems I use on a regular basis.  So I would suggest simply trying another brand of flash drive in case there's some interoperability glitch between that particular flash drive and your particular PC.

Edited 24 February 2021 6:40 PM by jphughan
Docfxit
Docfxit
I finally did get the Reflect USB to boot with Legacy disabled.
What I did was change the UEFI boot order to:
USB Diskette on Key/USB Hard Disk
OS Boot Manager
After booting the Macrium Rescue Disk, I selected "Fix Windows boot problems"
See attachment FixBootProblems
See attachment FixBoot#2
See attachment FixBoot#3
It did not fix the boot problem to the OS.

PS: It would be nice to see a log of each cmd that gets run and a cmd to see if the last cmd worked.

Attachments
FixBootProblems (Small).jpg (2 views, 101.00 KB)
FixBoot#2 (Small).jpg (2 views, 99.00 KB)
FixBoot#3 (Small).jpg (2 views, 103.00 KB)
Edited 25 February 2021 5:25 PM by Docfxit
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Did you confirm Rescue booted in UEFI mode by verifying the presence of the text "[UEFI]" at the end of the title bar along the top of the Rescue interface?  And are you still getting the same "Boot device not found" error?  I don't think that's even a Windows Boot Manager error.  That sounds like a system firmware-level error.  Fix Boot Problems is meant to fix Windows-level issues that can prevent proper booting, such as BCD issues.  Based on the photos you submitted (again, the camera icon in the Rescue taskbar will capture screenshots that are much easier to read and deliver much smaller file sizes), it appears that it did what it was supposed to do here.  I wonder if whatever challenge initially prevented you from getting your system to boot that flash drive in UEFI mode might be preventing you from booting to that disk in UEFI mode.  As a last resort, you can try manually creating a UEFI boot option in your BIOS Setup interface that points to the Windows Boot Manager bootloader file on the EFI partition of that disk, which is located at \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi

Docfxit
Docfxit
I'd like to verify that Reflect is booting with UEFI.  I have attached a screen shot that shows UEFI at the end of the title bar along the top of the Rescue interface.
I have deleted the efi partition.
I have followed the instructions Here:
https://knowledgebase.macrium.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=23396929
Restoring an MBR System image to UEFI/GPT
I did select Fix Windows Boot Problems.
The attached screenshot shows that it ran.
I am still getting the same "Boot device not found" error.
I have booted back into the Macrium USB, selected backup and taken a screenshot2 so you can see that I followed the instructions correctly to create the partitions.
You have suggested:
As a last resort, you can try manually creating a UEFI boot option in your BIOS Setup interface that points to the Windows Boot Manager bootloader file on the EFI partition of that disk, which is located at \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi

I don't see an option in the BIOS to manually create a UEFI boot option.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Attachments
screenshot1 (Small).bmp (2 views, 1.00 MB)
screenshot2 (Small).bmp (3 views, 1.00 MB)
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Your partition layout is valid for a Windows installation meant to boot in UEFI mode, and it appears Fix Boot Problems did what it was supposed to do.  But again, "Boot device not found" is a system firmware error, not a Windows or Windows Boot Manager error.  Reflect can't do anything about system firmware-level issues.  You may want need to consult the documentation from your PC or motherboard vendor for how to create a UEFI boot option that involves specifying a path to a bootloader file on an internal storage device.  It's definitely possible, because Windows Setup has to register that type of boot entry into the UEFI firmware of the system in order to allow the system to boot.  Typically that isn't necessary when performing a Reflect clone especially after using Fix Boot Problems -- I just helped a friend clone their UEFI Windows installation to a new disk and didn't even have to run Fix Boot Problems for the system to boot off the new disk, for example -- but not all systems work the same way.

Docfxit
Docfxit
jphughan - 27 February 2021 10:02 PM
Your partition layout is valid for a Windows installation meant to boot in UEFI mode, and it appears Fix Boot Problems did what it was supposed to do.  But again, "Boot device not found" is a system firmware error, not a Windows or Windows Boot Manager error.  Reflect can't do anything about system firmware-level issues.  You may want need to consult the documentation from your PC or motherboard vendor for how to create a UEFI boot option that involves specifying a path to a bootloader file on an internal storage device.  It's definitely possible, because Windows Setup has to register that type of boot entry into the UEFI firmware of the system in order to allow the system to boot.  Typically that isn't necessary when performing a Reflect clone especially after using Fix Boot Problems -- I just helped a friend clone their UEFI Windows installation to a new disk and didn't even have to run Fix Boot Problems for the system to boot off the new disk, for example -- but not all systems work the same way.

I gave up trying to fix this.  I formatted the drive and installed Windows 10. 

Thanks,
Docfxit

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search