Backup to two different hard disks in one go

Author
TP
New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi, I have Macrium Reflect 7 Pro. Is it possible to backup my main hard disk to two different hard disks simultaneously?
If so, how can I do that?

Thx
Edited 24 February 2021 1:14 AM by TP
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)
You can't run multiple jobs in parallel, but you can create a job that backs up multiple source disks in a single backup file.  If you want to do the latter, open Reflect, and in the "Create a backup tab", select all and only the disks and partitions that you want to back up.  Then in the upper-left corner, click "Image selected disks on this computer".  In the image backup wizard that appears, verify again that your selection includes all desired disks/partitions and ONLY those desired disks/partitions.  From there you set up the job just like any other.

Note that whenever you choose to RESTORE from that backup, when you click "Restore Image" you will need to choose which original source disk within that backup you with to restore.  You cannot stage a multi-disk restore operation.  If you ever need to restore multiple disks at the same time, you will need to run back-to-back restore operations, choosing to restore a different disk in that backup each time.

Beardy
Beardy
Proficient Member
Proficient Member (363 reputation)Proficient Member (363 reputation)Proficient Member (363 reputation)Proficient Member (363 reputation)Proficient Member (363 reputation)Proficient Member (363 reputation)Proficient Member (363 reputation)Proficient Member (363 reputation)Proficient Member (363 reputation)Proficient Member (363 reputation)
The only way I could think of where that would even be possible is using RAID, back up to a mirrored drive, then break the set after the backup completes... such an approach has significant drawbacks though, & would take lots of manual intervention & configuration for each backup.

I know of no backup software that can write the same output to two targets at the same time, not saying there isn't or that it's impossible (might or might not be) but I know of none.

Backing up to one target & replicating the result to another afterward is pretty straightforward though.
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)
@TP Sorry, having just read @Beardy's reply I realized that I misread your original question.  No, you can't back up to multiple destinations simultaneously.  What you CAN do though is have Reflect generate a PowerShell script based on your XML definition file (go to the Backup Definition Files tab, right-click your job file, and select Generate Powershell Script), and in the wizard that appears, you'll see a Directory Synchronization option.  If you enable that and specify a secondary destination, then after the backup completes, Reflect will call Robocopy (a Microsoft tool built into Windows) to replicate the contents of your "main" destination folder over to the synchronization target you specify.  In order to make that happen, you'll have to run your backups by running and/or configuring schedules on the script (found under the PowerShell Files tab) rather than the definition file.

TP
TP
New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)
Thanks, guys. I guess I'll just have to backup to one disk at the time.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search