Non Existent Alternate Drive Causes Error

Author
phrab
Proficient Member
Proficient Member (274 reputation)Proficient Member (274 reputation)Proficient Member (274 reputation)Proficient Member (274 reputation)Proficient Member (274 reputation)Proficient Member (274 reputation)Proficient Member (274 reputation)Proficient Member (274 reputation)Proficient Member (274 reputation)Proficient Member (274 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
This morning, I got a message that my image was aborted because it couldn't find the drive. I alternate between my 2 external drives: D & E, & use image ID.

In addition to D & E, under alternative locations, I found
\\?\Volume{f0d2cbfb-0000-0000-0000-100000000000}\s

Clicking this link, it took me to a drive shown on the left side of this image, whereas my D drive is on the right. They are almost, but not quite identical. The image on the left doesn't show up under Disk Management. This happened once before & I don't know why the Volume alternate appears.

I was able to manually switch to drive D & then ran the backup, but don't know how this other drive showed up. In File Explorer, this volume doesn't appear.

Is there a way to get rid of it?

Thank you in advance.

P.S. I just tried clicking that link above & now File Explorer says it doesn't exist.

Phil
Windows 10 Pro
Windows XP- SP-3

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)
Are you using volume identifier-based targeting?  Check Edit Defaults > Advanced > Destination Drive Discovery.  If you maintain consistent drive letter assignment for each of the destination disks, you shouldn't have to do that -- although using D and E really isn't ideal because those are at the beginning of the alphabet and therefore could easily be assigned to some other device.  If it wouldn't be too disruptive, I'd suggest switching Reflect back to its default drive letter-based discovery, then manually assigning your destination disks letters far down in the alphabet, and then updating your definition file accordingly.

phrab
phrab
Proficient Member
Proficient Member (274 reputation)Proficient Member (274 reputation)Proficient Member (274 reputation)Proficient Member (274 reputation)Proficient Member (274 reputation)Proficient Member (274 reputation)Proficient Member (274 reputation)Proficient Member (274 reputation)Proficient Member (274 reputation)Proficient Member (274 reputation)
jphughan - 20 February 2021 9:39 PM
Are you using volume identifier-based targeting?  Check Edit Defaults > Advanced > Destination Drive Discovery.  If you maintain consistent drive letter assignment for each of the destination disks, you shouldn't have to do that -- although using D and E really isn't ideal because those are at the beginning of the alphabet and therefore could easily be assigned to some other device.  If it wouldn't be too disruptive, I'd suggest switching Reflect back to its default drive letter-based discovery, then manually assigning your destination disks letters far down in the alphabet, and then updating your definition file accordingly.

Thank you.  Sorry for the delay in reporting, but I was out.  Yes, I use the unique volume identifier.

But I've been doing that for years.  In fact, I believe it was one of your answers to questions I had when I first used Reflect.  I did that in case Windows reassigned the drive letters.

If I were to start a whole new backup definition while both D & E were plugged in, would I be able to create a definition that would use the unique volume identifiers for D & E.  I'm not even sure how this other volume got created.

Phil
Windows 10 Pro
Windows XP- SP-3

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)
Ok, then it looks like you had 3 destinations in your definition file.  Two of them corresponded to your current D and E drives, and then there was some other volume identifier that Reflect couldn't match up to any currently mounted volume.  If having 3 total was unexpected, I'm not sure what happened there.

Anyhow, you don't have to recreate a definition file from scratch if you decide you want to switch back to drive letters.  The way it works is that the destination drive discovery setting is applied whenever a definition file is created or saved.  So if you want to go to drive letters, just switch that setting back and then open your definition file for editing, select your destinations again, and this time they'll be saved according to their actual drive letter rather than their volume identifiers.

phrab
phrab
Proficient Member
jphughan - 21 February 2021 3:29 AM
Ok, then it looks like you had 3 destinations in your definition file.  Two of them corresponded to your current D and E drives, and then there was some other volume identifier that Reflect couldn't match up to any currently mounted volume.  If having 3 total was unexpected, I'm not sure what happened there.

Anyhow, you don't have to recreate a definition file from scratch if you decide you want to switch back to drive letters.  The way it works is that the destination drive discovery setting is applied whenever a definition file is created or saved.  So if you want to go to drive letters, just switch that setting back and then open your definition file for editing, select your destinations again, and this time they'll be saved according to their actual drive letter rather than their volume identifiers.

Thank you again.  I just did that.  Whether I use drive letters or a unique identifier as my default & click "Alternate locations", the only options are my D & E drives.  But when I look at the Destination Folder dropdown, D, E, & that volume that shows up in my first post is still there.  Don't know how I did that.

Phil
Windows 10 Pro
Windows XP- SP-3

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Even if you switch to volume identifiers AND save a definition file afterward, you will still see drive letters for any volumes specified in the definition file that are currently mounted, since in that case Reflect can match the volume identifier actually stored in the definition file to the drive letter of a currently mounted volume.  But if you click the XML View tab in Reflect to see the raw XML, you will see volume identifiers rather than drive letters.  And if you were to CHANGE the drive letter currently assigned to one of those volumes, then quit and reopen Reflect, you will see that the destination path will have changed to that drive's new drive letter rather than sticking with D or E.

I'm not sure what's going on with that third entry or the volume that had a label "Passport1" but no drive letter.  Looking at a handful of file name and Date Modified fields, it looks like it's the same volume with the content simply sorted by name, whereas the second screenshot shows the content sorted by type.

phrab
phrab
Proficient Member
jphughan - 21 February 2021 4:23 AM
Even if you switch to volume identifiers AND save a definition file afterward, you will still see drive letters for any volumes specified in the definition file that are currently mounted, since in that case Reflect can match the volume identifier actually stored in the definition file to the drive letter of a currently mounted volume.  But if you click the XML View tab in Reflect to see the raw XML, you will see volume identifiers rather than drive letters.  And if you were to CHANGE the drive letter currently assigned to one of those volumes, then quit and reopen Reflect, you will see that the destination path will have changed to that drive's new drive letter rather than sticking with D or E.

I'm not sure what's going on with that third entry or the volume that had a label "Passport1" but no drive letter.  Looking at a handful of file name and Date Modified fields, it looks like it's the same volume with the content simply sorted by name, whereas the second screenshot shows the content sorted by type.
Thank you again for your help.  I'll see how it goes tomorrow.  I appreciate your time & expertise!

Phil
Windows 10 Pro
Windows XP- SP-3

phrab
phrab
Proficient Member
jphughan - 21 February 2021 4:23 AM

Thank you again.  I can now see that \\?\Volume{f0d2cbfb-0000-0000-0000-100000000000}\ is the same as Drive D.  I have a few questions:

1. Is there a way to get rid of the volume above without deleting external Drive D?  I looked though HKLM\System\MountedDevices & that volume doesn't appear.

2. Could I save everything on D to my E drive (or even C drive), reformat my D drive, & then copy everything back?

3.  I do not know where the XML View tab is.  If I right click my definition file, I see several options, but I don't know how to view the raw XML data.  Can you explain how I can find it?

4.  If I change or delete something in the XML data, will that destroy my backups?

I really want to get rid of the double way that D can show up in File Explorer. & Reflect.
Thanks again!

Phil
Windows 10 Pro
Windows XP- SP-3

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
When you choose to Edit your definition file and go to Alternate Destinations, any destinations that are active and currently assigned a drive letter should show as drive letters.  But any other volume identifier-based targets I believe will still show as their volume identifier and should therefore be identifiable and able to be deleted.  This of course assumes that you're still using volume identifier-based destination identification and your XML file was last saved while that option was active.

Yes you probably could do a copy, format, and copy back process, but I'm not sure what you expect to achieve by doing that.

The XML View tab is right there in Reflect.  Go to the Backup Definition Files tab, single-click the definition file of interest, and look down.  You'll see two tabs, one called Image Options and the other called XML View.  Destinations are near the very end of the XML file content.

XML files do not affect existing backups.  They aren't required to restore from any backups and aren't required to keep existing backups usable.  You can modify them or delete them without disrupting any existing backups (other than changing the retention policy settings of an XML file of course, in which case subsequent executions of that XML file might result in different purge behavior of your existing backups.)

phrab
phrab
Proficient Member
jphughan - 1 March 2021 9:08 PM
When you choose to Edit your definition file and go to Alternate Destinations, any destinations that are active and currently assigned a drive letter should show as drive letters.  But any other volume identifier-based targets I believe will still show as their volume identifier and should therefore be identifiable and able to be deleted.  This of course assumes that you're still using volume identifier-based destination identification and your XML file was last saved while that option was active.

Yes you probably could do a copy, format, and copy back process, but I'm not sure what you expect to achieve by doing that.

The XML View tab is right there in Reflect.  Go to the Backup Definition Files tab, single-click the definition file of interest, and look down.  You'll see two tabs, one called Image Options and the other called XML View.  Destinations are near the very end of the XML file content.

XML files do not affect existing backups.  They aren't required to restore from any backups and aren't required to keep existing backups usable.  You can modify them or delete them without disrupting any existing backups (other than changing the retention policy settings of an XML file of course, in which case subsequent executions of that XML file might result in different purge behavior of your existing backups.)

Thank you for your explanation.  I was able to see the XML file...  I guess I was looking up for tabs & should have looked down.  I did switch to drive letters as a default...I don't know if that will affect my current backup definition file, as I've always used D & E.  In the XML file, I see the destinations, but they only show up as D & E.

Here's what I see:
- <destination>
- <!-- Fully qualified path to destination directory. Can include the Volume GUID path
-->
- <!-- The 'drive' attribute is the drive letter initially associated with the GUID path and is used when displaying path errors
-->
<directory>E:\</directory>
<directory_1>D:\</directory_1>
- <!-- Destination file name. 
-->
- <!-- A empty name indicates that the 16 character hex name of the 
-->
- <!-- backup set will be used. This is the recommended setting   
-->
- <!-- Applies to full file and folder backups and Images
-->
<file_name />
- <!-- Disk Space Management
-->
- <dsm>
- <!-- free space to maintain on the target drive in gb
-->
<free_space_threshold active="1">5</free_space_threshold>
</dsm>
</destination>
<netbios>PHILSCOMPUTER</netbios>
<bootable system_partiton="Disk 1, Partiton 3" boot_partition="Disk 1, Partiton 2">Y</bootable>

If I switch to "unique volume identifier", will that enable me to get rid of the volume that I don't want?
Will I have to wait until at least one more backup is run before I can delete it?
Sorry to be such a pain.  I really want to get rid of alternate way of showing Drive D on my computer.

Phil
Windows 10 Pro
Windows XP- SP-3

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search