CBT problem

Author
isoicon
New Member (24 reputation)New Member (24 reputation)New Member (24 reputation)New Member (24 reputation)New Member (24 reputation)New Member (24 reputation)New Member (24 reputation)New Member (24 reputation)New Member (24 reputation)New Member (24 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
when CBT is enabled for incrementals of home edition (last version v7) I cannot safely disconnect de usb connected external HDD.
I get the windows popup: "device in use"after an incremental backup.

when I disable CBT and I reboot and I perform incremental backup, I can safely remove usb HDD.

But my question is: it seems CBT is a feature for large files like virtual hdd (vhd) but I have much virtual os files (vmware), each between 10 and 20 Gbyte: does it matter if I disable CBT?

Beardy
Beardy
Proficient Member
Proficient Member (259 reputation)Proficient Member (259 reputation)Proficient Member (259 reputation)Proficient Member (259 reputation)Proficient Member (259 reputation)Proficient Member (259 reputation)Proficient Member (259 reputation)Proficient Member (259 reputation)Proficient Member (259 reputation)Proficient Member (259 reputation)
In terms of how reliable your backups are it shouldn't make any difference, in terms of the amount of time they take to complete it will have some impact, faster (and smaller) incremental backup is the whole point.  Only you can decide how valuable the performance difference is in your situation with your setup.

Someone may be along who can help troubleshoot why you're unable to safely remove removeable drives, sadly I can't since I've not enabled (or even installed) the feature on my setup.
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)
There have been reports of CBT preventing the "safely remove" operation in the past.  Macrium has issued updates to resolve the reported issue, but it seems to come back occasionally.  You don't have to use CBT, but CBT does provide the most benefit in use cases likes yours that involve large files.  The reason is that if you do NOT use CBT, then when you create a Differential or Incremental, Reflect can figure out which files have changed since the previous backup, but it still has to scan each file to figure out which exact blocks within that file have changed and therefore need to be backed up.  With CBT, that change tracking is always active, so whenever you run your backup, Reflect already knows where the changes are, so you save the time of having to scan large files for changes.  I would suggest submitting a support ticket with Macrium about this.  They've helped users troubleshoot this in the past, sometimes resulting in Reflect updates.  But if you want to avoid this inconvenience in the meantime, you can definitely disable CBT and your backups will still continue working just fine.  They just might take longer to complete.

isoicon
isoicon
New Member (24 reputation)New Member (24 reputation)New Member (24 reputation)New Member (24 reputation)New Member (24 reputation)New Member (24 reputation)New Member (24 reputation)New Member (24 reputation)New Member (24 reputation)New Member (24 reputation)
Thanks for the answers Beardy and jphughan.
I've seen now my automatic update did not update to the latest version as "check for updates" shows: 7.3.5555 while I have running 7.3.5365
I will update manually before I would create a support ticket.

(infact I have not the possibility to create a support ticket as I cannot find my support key anywhere in my mailbox)

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)
I don't think there's a separate support key.  You should just be able to use your Reflect license key, which you can see under Help > About

isoicon
isoicon
Indeed I could create a support ticket with my license key and they told me to update.
When I updatet to 7.3.5555 it was solved.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search