Backup results of Scheduled Backups

Author
am_dew
New Member (23 reputation)New Member (23 reputation)New Member (23 reputation)New Member (23 reputation)New Member (23 reputation)New Member (23 reputation)New Member (23 reputation)New Member (23 reputation)New Member (23 reputation)New Member (23 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I recently restored a 2 week old image of my Windows 10 boot drive that also contained Macrium.  As I would expect, after the restore the Scheduled Backups 'Last Run Time' dates and times shown in Macrium did not reflect the backups done in the prior two weeks before the restore.  What folders/files would I need to copy to another drive before a restore, and then paste them back in order to retain the 'Last Run Time' results?   

Thanks!

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (21K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (21K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (21K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (21K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (21K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (21K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (21K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (21K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (21K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (21K reputation)
I’m not sure this is possible. If you’re using Windows Task Scheduler, those dates and result codes come from Windows Task Scheduler, and trying to export and import that might have side effects with a bunch of other scheduled tasks that are set up within Windows even apart from anything you configure through third party applications. If you’re using Macrium Task Scheduler, in theory that could be backed up, but here again restoring a state that is “from the future” from the perspective of the restored system could cause the scheduler not to work properly. Those dates and result codes are going to update anyway the next time a job runs, so I’m unclear why you care about their starting state after a restore. I would think it would be more useful to view your available backups under the Restore tab to see what backups you actually have.
am_dew
am_dew
New Member (23 reputation)New Member (23 reputation)New Member (23 reputation)New Member (23 reputation)New Member (23 reputation)New Member (23 reputation)New Member (23 reputation)New Member (23 reputation)New Member (23 reputation)New Member (23 reputation)
jphughan - 18 February 2021 3:17 PM
I’m not sure this is possible. If you’re using Windows Task Scheduler, those dates and result codes come from Windows Task Scheduler, and trying to export and import that might have side effects with a bunch of other scheduled tasks that are set up within Windows even apart from anything you configure through third party applications. If you’re using Macrium Task Scheduler, in theory that could be backed up, but here again restoring a state that is “from the future” from the perspective of the restored system could cause the scheduler not to work properly. Those dates and result codes are going to update anyway the next time a job runs, so I’m unclear why you care about their starting state after a restore. I would think it would be more useful to view your available backups under the Restore tab to see what backups you actually have.

Thanks for the reply.  I am using the Macrium Task Scheduler and I agree with your comments about viewing the available backups and not be concerned with what the scheduler says.  I thought perhaps there may be something that could be copied/restored without any negative consequences.

Edited 18 February 2021 3:25 PM by am_dew
Patrick O'Keefe
Patrick O'Keefe
Expert
Expert (720 reputation)Expert (720 reputation)Expert (720 reputation)Expert (720 reputation)Expert (720 reputation)Expert (720 reputation)Expert (720 reputation)Expert (720 reputation)Expert (720 reputation)Expert (720 reputation)
am_dew - 18 February 2021 3:05 PM
... As I would expect, after the restore the Scheduled Backups 'Last Run Time' dates and times shown in Macrium did not reflect the backups done in the prior two weeks before the restore.  What folders/files would I need to copy to another drive before a restore, and then paste them back in order to retain the 'Last Run Time' results?   
Even if you find a safe way to do this, you would be in a sort of a "time warp".  Data in the backups taken after your "restore point" no longer match the data on your current system.  They are from an alternate past (or future).  Those later backups could be used to recover data lost when you did the restore, but they will also potentially wipe out changes made since your restore.  I think it's best to think of those backups as an -out-of-stream archive rather than part of your ongoing stream of backups.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search