machine won't boot from optical drive with win pe media

Author
tomj
New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
- I have an asus g73 which got hosed by the most recent windows update. I have macrium reflect. I changed the boot order to boot from DVD drive (macrium win PE media I created 2/18/2020)so I can restore from a pre update backup and the machine will not boot from DVD; it spins up the dvd drive and then goes on to the messed up windows (I get the blue ms windows large logo, la la la la tone, then a long pause and then spinning dots then a blank black screen until I move the mouse then a small blue donut the moves with the mouse and keep flashing. Not sure how to fix this machine unless I can boot from DVD, unless I remove the drive and load the backup to the drive outside the machine, which I'd rather not do (is this even possible?). Also how do I permanently block win 10 home updates? This happened a short time ago with this same machine and I was only able to block for 7 days. Renewed my block for another 7 but forgot to do it again, and I forgot how I was able to get into it to do the restore from the good image I have...Seemed it gave me a chance after a few unsuccessful startups, if I remember correctly.
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)
Did your system ever boot from this Rescue DVD you have?  Do you have access to another PC where you can install Reflect Free and create Rescue Media on a bootable flash drive?  On most typical PCs (normal desktop and laptops as opposed to higher-end workstations and servers), Rescue Media built on another PC will work fine as long as you use a recent WinPE/RE kernel.  And even if you need additional drivers, if the disc is readable at all somewhere else, you can grab the contents of the Drivers folder from that disc and copy it into the corresponding Drivers folder on your flash drive.

You can't block Windows updates permanently.  You can only defer them.  And even though Microsoft's reliability track record on Windows updates has been pretty poor lately, it is also true that in several months of 2020, that month's cumulative update broke all-time records for number of security fixes provided in a single month, so not patching has non-trivial risks as well.

Beardy
Beardy
Proficient Member
Proficient Member (382 reputation)Proficient Member (382 reputation)Proficient Member (382 reputation)Proficient Member (382 reputation)Proficient Member (382 reputation)Proficient Member (382 reputation)Proficient Member (382 reputation)Proficient Member (382 reputation)Proficient Member (382 reputation)Proficient Member (382 reputation)
If you have another machine, try building rescue media there & see if it boots that, I'd recommend USB media, it boots faster & is less prone to issues with scratches, fingerprints, or just poor quality media, if you absolutely must use DVD, avoid re-writable, & possibly try a different brand.

The latest OS Asus support on that hardware is 8.1 & there are tons of people with issues trying to run 10, t'were me, I think I'd stop Win 10 updating by stepping back to an OS the manufacturer supports & provides drivers for.

Froggie
Froggie
Macrium Hero
Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)
If you have a System with a BOOT screen option (F2, F10, F12, <esc>Wink, select that then select your CD/DVD from there.  It sounds like your System is still not set correctly to use your CD/DVD drive for 1st choice.
tomj
tomj
New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)
OK, I got lucky (I think) and on one of the many restarts I was able to get to a point where I could "reinstall windows from local machine while keeping your files" so I did that.  At least now I'm going to need to re load the backup image.  My plan  (although I have the paid version on this machine) is to install macrium free on the machine how it sits now (of course macrium was not part of the windows directed restore) and bring in the image I have on my server.  Does this make sense?  Anything to watch out for?
Also I want to have the boot from macrium option at powerup, which I THOUGHT I set up but as it is my wifes machine and I didn't restart after the last fix I can't recall if that option was active (or if it would have helped in this case as I think it was failing before that option would have shown up
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)
Yes, installing Reflect Free on your "factory environment" to build Rescue Media and then restore one of your backups makes perfect sense.  Once you've done that, if you don't already have the option to boot to Rescue as a result of having restored that backup, open Reflect, go to Rescue Media Builder, select Windows Boot Menu, and click Build.  That entry lives in the Windows Boot Manager, so it may come back when you restore your backup if you had it enabled at that point.  But there are also failure scenarios that it won't survive, which is why it's always important to have "external" Rescue Media that has no dependencies on a particular Boot Manager configuration or file set existing on your internal disk.

tomj
tomj
Thanks.  But in this case I have rescue media and wasn't able to boot from it.  Also does the recue media always need to be from that particular machine or will one made on any machine work, ie is it machine specific?  Would be nice to just have one copy for all
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
I understand.  What i meant was to get Reflect Free installed and create new Rescue Media, then try to boot from it.  If you still can't, provide some details about the Rescue Media and the exact behavior when you try to boot from it in order to help troubleshoot the issue.  And just to confirm, are you certain you know how to boot your PC from a disc or flash drive?  If so and you have other bootable discs or flash drives, it would be good to verify that that works just to make sure the issue is specific to Rescue Media and not something going on with your PC or disc drive.

With most PCs (i.e. typical laptop and desktops), Rescue Media created on another PC will probably work as long as it was created with a recent WinPE/RE kernel.  But if the PC in question requires additional drivers that aren't built into that WinPE/RE kernel, then "foreign" Rescue Media probably won't have them either unless the other PC also needed those drivers.  It's possible to assemble a driver library on a single PC so that all Rescue Media it creates will incorporate all of those drivers, even if they're not relevant to the PC you're building from, so that can help with creating "universal" Rescue Media.  I do that, but it does take a bit of effort.  If you want to do that, I'd recommend standardizing on WinPE 10 for all builds, and then build Rescue Media on each PC you use to check whether the Rescue Media created by each PC adds any drivers to the Drivers folder on the Rescue Media.  If so, you'll want to copy those into the correct Rescue Media "build" folder on the PC you'll want to use for creating universal Rescue Media going forward.  I can provide more details about that later if needed.

A few perks you'll lose by going this route is that when Rescue Media is being used on the PC that actually created it, things like drive letter assignments to various partitions will typically match the drive letters you use in "real" Windows, and the "Folders to search" list will carry over so that your backups should already be listed under the Restore tab without you having to browse for them, and any BitLocker auto-unlock keys for any volumes used by that PC will be available.  That doesn't work when using "foreign" Rescue Media, but those are just conveniences, not must-haves.

tomj
tomj
Thought more about the "universal rescue media" and realized I have win10 and win 10 pro here, so I would expect that not to work anyway- AND, it looks like the rescue media gats updated with some macrium updates and it wouldn't be worth it to me for the few pcs here to go through all of that trouble for each update.  In the meantime I just downloaded and installed Macrium free, and am running the restore now with the setup that runs PE from the download.  After that I'll make new rescue media cd and retry the boot from that, then disable win10 updates every 7 days (what a hassle) until I'm able to order the new NUC she's replacing the laptop with.
thanks for the help
t
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
The edition of Windows isn’t relevant to Rescue Media. In fact even the version of Windows isn’t that relevant. Windows 7 can build WinPE 10 Rescue Media, and Windows 10 can build WinPE 3.1 (Win7 kernel) Rescue Media. You also don’t have to update Rescue Media with every Reflect update. Very few Reflect updates contain changes that pertain to Rescue. Although having universal Rescue Media means you only have to update one build rather than one per PC.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search