file and folder backup take forever for a small incremental determining which files to copy

Author
Paddy
New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I have a bunch of computers using macrium, but this one computer takes forever determining which files to copy.   what could be the issue?
Beardy
Beardy
Proficient Member
Proficient Member (259 reputation)Proficient Member (259 reputation)Proficient Member (259 reputation)Proficient Member (259 reputation)Proficient Member (259 reputation)Proficient Member (259 reputation)Proficient Member (259 reputation)Proficient Member (259 reputation)Proficient Member (259 reputation)Proficient Member (259 reputation)
Lots of small files to check in the backup, that's a slow process even on an SSD.  Including C:\Windows in a file & folder backup is pretty pointless, & C:\windows\WinSxS which I see it checking in the screenshot particularly so, I could see the point of backing up C:\Users or particular folders on C:\ if you'd created them to store specific items., even C:\Users calls for excluding browser caches & suchlike.

If you want to back Windows up, or even most of your drive, I'd strongly recommend image backups, file & folder backups are the sort of thing you want maybe for user generated documents & suchlike where you want to target specific things to back up more frequently than the whole system.
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)
You absolutely should not be performing a File & Folder backup of your entire C partition.  If you want to back up all of C, then capture an image backup.  Your backups will run MUCH faster, and you will still be able to extract individual files and folders using the Browse feature that will mount that partition within the image as a virtual disk.  And unlike F&F backups, an image backup would also allow you to restore your Windows installation if ever required.  The problem with File & Folder backup there is that Windows uses various file system techniques throughout certain folders on the C drive that would not be properly backed up or restored using an F&F backup.  But if you want an image backup that can be used for system recovery purposes, most systems today require you to back up more than just the C partition.  There are some additional hidden partitions. Reflect helps you sort this out by offering the "Create an image backup of the partitions needed to back up and restore Windows" option in the upper-left corner of the interface.  Clicking that will open the image backup wizard with the necessary partitions pre-selected.  You can add more partitions to that selection if you want, but you should never subtract any.

If you want to keep using F&F, then at least exclude the Windows folder along with Program Files as you're already doing.

Edited 13 February 2021 11:45 PM by jphughan
Paddy
Paddy
New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)
jphughan - 13 February 2021 11:45 PM
You absolutely should not be performing a File & Folder backup of your entire C partition.  If you want to back up all of C, then capture an image backup.  Your backups will run MUCH faster, and you will still be able to extract individual files and folders using the Browse feature that will mount that partition within the image as a virtual disk.  And unlike F&F backups, an image backup would also allow you to restore your Windows installation if ever required.  The problem with File & Folder backup there is that Windows uses various file system techniques throughout certain folders on the C drive that would not be properly backed up or restored using an F&F backup.  But if you want an image backup that can be used for system recovery purposes, most systems today require you to back up more than just the C partition.  There are some additional hidden partitions. Reflect helps you sort this out by offering the "Create an image backup of the partitions needed to back up and restore Windows" option in the upper-left corner of the interface.  Clicking that will open the image backup wizard with the necessary partitions pre-selected.  You can add more partitions to that selection if you want, but you should never subtract any.

If you want to keep using F&F, then at least exclude the Windows folder along with Program Files as you're already doing.

Can you tell me what that looks like please with an image or send me a link to what you are referring?

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)
See Step 2 of this page.

Edited 14 February 2021 1:47 AM by jphughan
Paddy
Paddy
jphughan - 14 February 2021 1:46 AM
See Step 2 of this page.

Thanks!  I thought that incrementals would be faster but I seem to be mistaken...

Do you suggest this method for regular backups?   I have been using Macrium for quite a while with file and folder but of course am willing to move to the best method in case of a disaster. 
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
The extra time could be because an image backup is backing up the entire partition, whereas your F&F backup was excluding Program Files.  I suppose if your Program Files folders were large enough, the time to back up that additional data might exceed the time your F&F backup was spending determining files to copy.

But in terms of which is better, it depends on what you're trying to achieve.  Your F&F backup was excluding the Program Files directories, but not the Windows folder.  That's an odd combination.  Typically you either back up the important files of any user profiles on your system (Desktop, Documents, Pictures, etc.) or you want the entire partition.  So what are you trying to achieve here?  Just backups of your personal data, or the ability to recover your whole system?  If the former, I would suggest a more precisely targeted F&F backup.  Maybe instead of starting with the entire C drive as the source folder, choose C:\Users\YourUserName and then exclude the \AppData subfolder of your profile folder.  If on the other hand you want a backup that could recover your system AND allow you to extract individual files and folders as needed, then use the function I mentioned earlier.

Paddy
Paddy
jphughan - 14 February 2021 6:08 PM
The extra time could be because an image backup is backing up the entire partition, whereas your F&F backup was excluding Program Files.  I suppose if your Program Files folders were large enough, the time to back up that additional data might exceed the time your F&F backup was spending determining files to copy.

But in terms of which is better, it depends on what you're trying to achieve.  Your F&F backup was excluding the Program Files directories, but not the Windows folder.  That's an odd combination.  Typically you either back up the important files of any user profiles on your system (Desktop, Documents, Pictures, etc.) or you want the entire partition.  So what are you trying to achieve here?  Just backups of your personal data, or the ability to recover your whole system?  If the former, I would suggest a more precisely targeted F&F backup.  Maybe instead of starting with the entire C drive as the source folder, choose C:\Users\YourUserName and then exclude the \AppData subfolder of your profile folder.  If on the other hand you want a backup that could recover your system AND allow you to extract individual files and folders as needed, then use the function I mentioned earlier.

What does a typical F&F set up look like?   The reason I am reluctant to exclude Appdata is because Snagit stores all my images there.

Edited 15 February 2021 5:19 PM by Paddy
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Typical F&F would be people's profile folders, or the entire drive of a dedicated Data partition rather than an OS partition.  If you've got a good reason to include AppData, then try out, but it will probably pull a bunch of junk too.  You might also want to consider excluding C:\ProgramData, which is essentially a system-wide AppData folder for applications that want global settings rather than per-user settings that would be stored in the AppData folders of individual profile folders.  But here again, if you're the only person using this PC, I define the root folder as C:\Users\YourUserProfileFolder.  That will include your profile's AppData folder by default.  And even if you had multiple users on the system, you can have more than one "root" folder in an F&F job, so you could add one of those entries for each profile folder on your system.  And actually if you're just worried about SnagIt, what you could do is add your profile folder with an AppData exclusion on that selection, and then add a SECOND root folder selection to specify your SnagIt AppData folder.  Let me know if you want screenshots as an example

Paddy
Paddy
jphughan - 15 February 2021 5:24 PM
Typical F&F would be people's profile folders, or the entire drive of a dedicated Data partition rather than an OS partition.  If you've got a good reason to include AppData, then try out, but it will probably pull a bunch of junk too.  You might also want to consider excluding C:\ProgramData, which is essentially a system-wide AppData folder for applications that want global settings rather than per-user settings that would be stored in the AppData folders of individual profile folders.  But here again, if you're the only person using this PC, I define the root folder as C:\Users\YourUserProfileFolder.  That will include your profile's AppData folder by default.  And even if you had multiple users on the system, you can have more than one "root" folder in an F&F job, so you could add one of those entries for each profile folder on your system.  And actually if you're just worried about SnagIt, what you could do is add your profile folder with an AppData exclusion on that selection, and then add a SECOND root folder selection to specify your SnagIt AppData folder.  Let me know if you want screenshots as an example

Please provide screenshot examples.   Thanks in advance.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search