vi-Boot and a Bios update

Author
JEL
New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I am a newbie to Macrium (v7.2), slowly learning and using its many capabilities. After plowing through the manual, I set up viBoot. Everything went well and now when I boot a menu appears with options of booting to Win 10 or the Macrium  boot . I have two questions:
1. If I decide to eliminate the Macrium boot option and return to only the original Win 10 boot, how do I do that -- i.e. get rid of viBoot and whatever came with it?
2. Shortly after setting up viBoot, I was notified by the mfgr. of my computer (HP Envy 32 all-in-one) that a Bios update was waiting for me to install. I do want to update the Bios, but don.t know what interaction there may be between the update process and the viBoot, either during or after the update.
If necessary I'd uninstall viBoot before updating.
Thanks for any help here,
Judith

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)
You're describing two different things.  The boot menu is the recovery boot menu option.  It gives you a way to boot into Reflect's Rescue Media environment from files stored on your internal system so that you don't have to use an external Rescue Media device like a CD/DVD or flash drive.  That can be handy, although it relies on those files actually existing and being intact.  That won't be the case in all disaster scenarios, so while it can be used as a convenience, it should never be relied on as your sole Rescue Media mechanism.

But if you ever want to remove that, open Rescue Media Builder, select Windows Boot Menu, and click Remove.

Macrium viBoot is a completely different thing.  It allows you to boot image backups of Windows disks as virtual machines.

The BIOS update won't change anything with Reflect's boot menu item (or viBoot) one way or another.  The boot menu option literally just adds a non-default option to the Windows Boot Manager interface allowing you to load Rescue from files on your hard drive.  Those files are always kept there cached for any Rescue Media you may ever wish to create.  The boot menu option just allows you to boot directly from them.

JEL
JEL
New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)
Thanks so much Mac.Ev. Your answer is complete and understood. I actually set up both the recovery boot menu option for the RRM and the viBoot (virtual machine). In addition I created a USB Thumb Drive containing Rescue Media. I also have a Win 10 Recovery Disk on a thumb drive, which I had to use a few weeks ago (due to my ill-advised tinkering with things). It got me back up and running, facing almost a week of reinstalling programs.
jel

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search