File and folder backup to remote NAS

Author
gyalo
New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)
Group: Awaiting Activation
Hello,
I want to back up about 800 GB of pictures to a remote NAS.  I have an IPSEC tunnel already up but Comcasts up is killing me.  If I was to perform the first major file and folder backup onto a local external drive, would I be able to then upload that onto my NAS and target incremental from there on out?  Has anyone tried anything similar?  As always, thanks in advance for your time.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Yes.  Reflect even has a "directory synchronization" function you can use to have the "main" backup destination synced to another location -- although if your NAS requires credentials other than your system's Windows user account, then I'm not sure that feature would work in this specific case.  Reflect does have a mechanism for storing network credentials, but that's only for the "main" destination, since the directory sync function I'm mentioning is facilitated by Robocopy rather than Reflect.  But if you want to handle syncing through some other means, then yes you can absolutely do what you're envisioning.  I would recommend disabling Synthetic Fulls though.  That way any Incremental retention policy will be achieved by consolidating the oldest two Incrementals into each other rather than consolidating the oldest Incremental into the root Full.  The latter would mean you'd have to resync your Full every time that happened.  But disabling Synthetic Fulls means your Full becomes "frozen in time", so you will likely want a schedule that creates a new Full periodically.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)
Also, make sure Delta Incremental Indexing is enabled.  It's enabled by default on V7, but was disabled for V6 and might still be disabled if you upgraded from V6.  Go to Edit Defaults > Advanced > Advanced Incrementals and make sure Delta Incremental Indexing is on.

gyalo
gyalo
New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)
Group: Awaiting Activation
Thanks for taking the time to respond.  I have the drive mapped so I suppose as long as I make sure I upload into the correct directory and tweak the incremental settings I should be golden.  I'll follow up with the success/failure when a drive arrives. 

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Happy to help.  Be aware though that drive mappings only exist in the session of the user who created the mapping.  Reflect jobs executed as a result of a scheduled task occur in a separate context and therefore won't have access to that drive mapping.  But if you'll be handling the sync from your main destination to the remote location through some other means, then you should be fine.

Edited 12 February 2021 10:49 PM by jphughan
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search