Anybody have the skinny on Reflect v8 ?

Author
Davcbr
New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I am putting together a windows 10 desktop and a reflect 7 usb PE10 that I used successfully on my wife's computer dies right when those little colored balls start moving around.  I thought about installing Reflect 7 on the desktop,then downloading the PE that will work with my newer version of WinX, and I wondered if Reflect 8 would be coming out the day after tomorrow and I would have to redo all this again.  I bought into Reflect with the offer of a free upgrade to v8 s.o, this question has some meaning to me.

dbminter
dbminter
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)
There was a recent update to v7 a few days ago.  Generally, when a new full revision number is about to be released, there won't be any new updates for like 2 months.  So, I wouldn't expect v8 any time soon.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)
Not sure what you mean that a Rescue Media build from your wife's computer "dies", but that would be worth looking into.  I'm able to use Reflect's WinPE 10 1709 environment successfully on very recent systems.  But given that you were using Rescue Media built on another PC, it's possible that it was missing come necessary drivers for your system.  Chances are that building Rescue Media on that PC even when using WinPE 10 would result in working Rescue Media.  If so, then going forward you could simply consolidate the drivers of those two builds into the Rescue Media build folder on a single PC, and then all future Rescue Media builds created by that PC will incorporate all of those drivers.  I use this method to create Rescue Media that works on various systems.

I'm also not sure what you mean by "newer version of WinX".  Is your desktop running a newer feature release of Windows 10 than your wife's for some reason?

But with respect to V8, doing everything all over again isn't a ton of work -- no more so than updating Rescue Media after an update within V7.  But you also don't necessarily have to do it.  Backups created by V7 apparently work with Rescue Media as old as 6.1, or even before that if you don't use Delta Incrementals.  There have of course been fixes and enhancements since then, but that's true even within a given release's lifecycle.  But again even if you want to upgrade to V8, if the V6 to V7 transition is any indication, both the installation within Windows and the Rescue Media update will be as simple as an update to a new release within a given major release.

Davcbr
Davcbr
New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)
jphughan - 11 February 2021 3:46 AM
Not sure what you mean that a Rescue Media build from your wife's computer "dies", but that would be worth looking into.  I'm able to use Reflect's WinPE 10 1709 environment successfully on very recent systems.  But given that you were using Rescue Media built on another PC, it's possible that it was missing come necessary drivers for your system.  Chances are that building Rescue Media on that PC even when using WinPE 10 would result in working Rescue Media.  If so, then going forward you could simply consolidate the drivers of those two builds into the Rescue Media build folder on a single PC, and then all future Rescue Media builds created by that PC will incorporate all of those drivers.  I use this method to create Rescue Media that works on various systems.

I'm also not sure what you mean by "newer version of WinX".  Is your desktop running a newer feature release of Windows 10 than your wife's for some reason?

But with respect to V8, doing everything all over again isn't a ton of work -- no more so than updating Rescue Media after an update within V7.  But you also don't necessarily have to do it.  Backups created by V7 apparently work with Rescue Media as old as 6.1, or even before that if you don't use Delta Incrementals.  There have of course been fixes and enhancements since then, but that's true even within a given release's lifecycle.  But again even if you want to upgrade to V8, if the V6 to V7 transition is any indication, both the installation within Windows and the Rescue Media update will be as simple as an update to a new release within a given major release.

Hi  -  thanks for your reply
Actually, I am quite new to Reflect, having retreated from Acronis.  I put their latest version on a pc and it was like a time machine back to the 1990s.  I have never seen a single software package cause such havoc.  I was able to restore an image from my 2013 True Image, but I decided I could not trust them with my transition to UEFI & GPI.  Thus I am here with a new paradigm.  The install of Reflect seems to indicate that the default PE download will be 1709, which is what bombed on my system.  Thus I guess I am left to wonder [maybe you could answer] if I were to download the 2004 version myself and direct the Reflect installation to look at that.  Might Reflect itself bomb with this version and maybe I should wait for Reflect 8.
For now, the images I need to take are small as I build my system, so what I plan at this point is to use a usb that I did with the free version when I decided to try Relect. This boots the new system just fine, so waiting is not a problem.
My main problem now is that the system that I restored on the other computer had one of my Reflect licenses on it, and the hurried manner I had restoring it caused me to forget to uninstall it.  So now I have a license issue.  Beginner's luck?

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)
Welcome to Reflect!

Macrium Support can help you reclaim that license.  That's not a big deal at all, or even that infrequent, since the exact same end result occurs if a user's PC dies unexpectedly and they don't have a full image backup of it and/or wouldn't want to restore that image wholesale onto a replacement PC.

In terms of Rescue Media, as of this writing, if you want to use WinPE 10, Reflect downloads WinPE 10 1709.  Prior to that it was 1607.  Macrium moved to 1709 because that was the kernel where Microsoft added support for multi-partition flash drives.  To my knowledge there have not been any improvements in subsequent WinPE releases that are relevant to Rescue Media.  But if you want to be on the latest and (not always) greatest, you can use the WinRE option.  That will cause Reflect to use the WinRE environment on your system's Windows Recovery partition.  That sidesteps having to download anything, and if you're running the latest release of Windows 10, you'll have a Recovery environment built on the same latest kernel.  And in fact WinRE is the default choice.  However, I tend to recommend against it.  I wrote this post elsewhere to explain why:

There are really only a few reasons to consider WinRE:
  • You're the type that just uses the defaults. (And in fairness, most of the time the default works fine.)
  • You need WiFi support in your Rescue Media.
  • You can't spare the necessary storage capacity to cache a WinPE build (WinPE 10 1709 is about 1 GB).
Otherwise, WinRE is pretty much all risk and no reward. The problem with WinRE is that it gets updated whenever you update your full Windows environment, and Microsoft has a particularly poor release quality track record these days. The initial release of WinRE 10 1809 for example contained a bug that broke Rescue Media's automatic driver loading at startup. They could still be loaded manually by users who knew how, and this bug was fixed when Microsoft recalled and then re-released Win10 1809, but the early adopters who were using WinRE ended up with broken Rescue Media. And WinRE can also get customized at an individual system level, which makes it even more of a "moving target", which has resulted in some users having problematic Rescue Media builds.

By comparison, when you use WinPE 10, Reflect always uses WinPE 10 1709 (as of this writing), regardless of what release you're running. That's a release that Macrium tested, and the WinPE package downloaded from Microsoft does NOT get customized on a per-system basis before Reflect gets to it. So with WinPE 10, you're always giving Reflect a consistent, Macrium-tested "foundation" to build from. Consistency has its virtues over "latest and allegedly greatest" when it comes to critical recovery tools, in my view.

All that said, if WinRE works for you, then fantastic. Just make sure you retest your Rescue Media if if ever rebuilds because the WinRE version on your system has changed. (And honestly, you should retest your Rescue Media any time you rebuild it, regardless of why the rebuild occurred or what version of WinPE/RE you're running, because there have been Reflect updates that broke Rescue Media too.)

Davcbr
Davcbr
WOW
.  Thank you for that thorough explanation.  It really helps my understanding.  I think I will install Reflect now, build a WinRE usb media to get me going.  When Reflect 8 gets installed, I will look at building with what their choice is for WinPE.  I have been interested in studying WinPE once things settle down for me.
Thanx again
dc

Richard Luce
Richard Luce
New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)
quite new to Reflect, having retreated from Acronis

me abanded acronis 5 or so years ago

Reflect works much better

more goodies
20% discount on newest version/ with 8.0 freebe
automatic restore works very well for me

good luck

xman_charl

Keith Weisshar
Keith Weisshar
Proficient Member
Proficient Member (359 reputation)Proficient Member (359 reputation)Proficient Member (359 reputation)Proficient Member (359 reputation)Proficient Member (359 reputation)Proficient Member (359 reputation)Proficient Member (359 reputation)Proficient Member (359 reputation)Proficient Member (359 reputation)Proficient Member (359 reputation)
How much longer will it take for v8 to be launched?
Froggie
Froggie
Macrium Hero
Macrium Hero (2.1K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.1K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.1K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.1K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.1K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.1K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.1K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.1K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.1K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.1K reputation)
It's still in a pretty aggressive Beta at the moment (looking good!), I believe the target is by the end of the 1st quarter but don't hold me to it.
Edited 22 February 2021 3:53 PM by Froggie
Patrick O'Keefe
Patrick O'Keefe
Talented Member
Talented Member (185 reputation)Talented Member (185 reputation)Talented Member (185 reputation)Talented Member (185 reputation)Talented Member (185 reputation)Talented Member (185 reputation)Talented Member (185 reputation)Talented Member (185 reputation)Talented Member (185 reputation)Talented Member (185 reputation)
Froggie - 22 February 2021 3:52 PM
It's still in a pretty aggressive Beta at the moment (looking good!), I believe the target is by the end of the 1st quarter but don't hold me to it.

That's much better than a "competitive" product that releases its new version on a schedule.  It doesn't matter ho many problems are uncovered during a Beta test, the new version is released in the Aug / Sept time frame.  It's a great relief to see that Macrium pays attention to the health of the product rather than the calendar!

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search