Changing PC

Author
QT-Pro
Talented Member
Talented Member (157 reputation)Talented Member (157 reputation)Talented Member (157 reputation)Talented Member (157 reputation)Talented Member (157 reputation)Talented Member (157 reputation)Talented Member (157 reputation)Talented Member (157 reputation)Talented Member (157 reputation)Talented Member (157 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I have a new laptop arriving tomorrow, a warranty replacement for my existing machine.
Dell have asked me to get the new machine setup as I want it and recover all my data. Then I am to wipe the drives of my existing machine leaving only the recovery folder so they can reinstall Windows. Finally I am to return it to them.

I have both Revo Uninstaller Pro and Reflect.

Revo offers an option for secure and permanent removal of specified folders but I cannot see the Recovery folder/drive in the tree so I am worried I may kill that as well.
I seem to remember someone saying that Reflect has an option for this. I am mistaken?

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)
Reflect does not have a built-in function to return a system to its factory state -- unless of course you captured a Reflect image of your system when you first received it and still have it handy to restore with Reflect.

And Dell uses a Recovery partition, but not a Recovery folder.  But that may or may not still be there.

Windows 10 has a built-in mechanism called "Reset This PC" that can essentially perform a clean installation of Windows.  There are options to preserve or not preserve your data.  Alternatively, Dell has its own Recovery tool that you can use to create a bootable flash drive to return your system to its factory state even if your factory Recovery partition no longer exists, I think, but I've never used it.  Or you can just wipe the entire disk however securely you need to in order to feel safe that the data is gone and then just perform a clean Windows installation using Microsoft media.  I'm not sure why Dell cares about you preserving the Recovery partition anyway.  It would be patently irresponsible of them to reissue that PC to another user while it's still running an OS installed by someone else (with whatever modifications or malware they may have implemented) rather than installed the OS themselves.  So I personally would only worry about making sure they have a usable Windows environment upfront so they can at least do testing or whatever they might need before sending it through the full refurbishing process.

QT-Pro
QT-Pro
Talented Member
Talented Member (157 reputation)Talented Member (157 reputation)Talented Member (157 reputation)Talented Member (157 reputation)Talented Member (157 reputation)Talented Member (157 reputation)Talented Member (157 reputation)Talented Member (157 reputation)Talented Member (157 reputation)Talented Member (157 reputation)
Thanks for your feedback, jph. On balance, I could care less if Dell have a working copy of Windows or not. This machine requires a new motherboard which they claim they can no longer supply. That's the reason they have replaced it with a new machine. I doubt they would have done that if they really did have a motherboard in stock. Given this fact, it would be impossible for them to refurbish this machine so, if I wipe the drives clean and the recovery partition is lost as well, I cannot see why that would be a problem for them.

You may remember from other posts I have made here, the reason they wanted to change the motherboard is because the Thunderbolt ports keep randomly ejecting anything connected to them. A fresh install of Windows would not solve that and I note on the Notebook Review forum that I'm not alone with this issue.

Edit:
I reread your comment and take on board the part where you said "unless of course you captured a Reflect image of your system when you first received it and still have it handy to restore with Reflect."

I'm guessing you would recommend me to do that with the new machine but should I do it with just the fresh Windows install or should I first add my most crucial programs? Either way, should I ever need to restore to such an image, it is clear that all programs and Windows itself will have undergone a myriad of updates so, is it really that useful?

Edited 9 February 2021 7:29 AM by QT-Pro
capair45
capair45
Expert
Expert (850 reputation)Expert (850 reputation)Expert (850 reputation)Expert (850 reputation)Expert (850 reputation)Expert (850 reputation)Expert (850 reputation)Expert (850 reputation)Expert (850 reputation)Expert (850 reputation)
Be sure to remove the license key from your old computer (Help > Remove License Key).  This will make re-installing Macrium it on the new PC a simpler process.

Windows 10 Home (20H2)
Macrium Reflect 7.3.5550
Windows Defender
Malwarebytes Premium 4.2.3

Edited 9 February 2021 12:30 PM by capair45
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)
The advice to capture a backup of a system's factory state is more for those who aren't comfortable performing a clean install and/or who intend to attempt a "restore and ReDeploy" of a previous system's image but aren't sure it will work.  Otherwise, as you say, by the time you might ever want to go back to that state, you'll be spending quite a bit of time installing updates to Windows, applications, and drivers to bring it current.

QT-Pro
QT-Pro
Talented Member
capair45 - 9 February 2021 12:21 PM
Be sure to remove the license key from your old computer (Help > Remove License Key).  This will make re-installing Macrium it on the new PC a simpler process.

Good advice! Thanks cap!

Edit:
On second thought, Can I not just install the trial version of Reflect on the new PC and then transfer the key once I have finished installing all my programs and transferred my data? I ask because it would allow me to make an image of the fresh Windows installation in case anything goes wrong during the reinstall of my programs. I'm a bit nervous of compatibility issues due to my existing machine using Office 2016 Pro Plus while the new machine has Office 365. Ditto the forced change from Classic Shell to Open Shell.

Edited 9 February 2021 5:15 PM by QT-Pro
capair45
capair45
Expert
Expert (850 reputation)Expert (850 reputation)Expert (850 reputation)Expert (850 reputation)Expert (850 reputation)Expert (850 reputation)Expert (850 reputation)Expert (850 reputation)Expert (850 reputation)Expert (850 reputation)
You just want to make sure the same license key is not in use on 2 (or more) maciines at the same time.  This would be in viiolation of the EULA

Windows 10 Home (20H2)
Macrium Reflect 7.3.5550
Windows Defender

QT-Pro
QT-Pro
Talented Member
I will have to check with Macrium's site but I believe the trial version is good for 30 days with all functions fully operational in which case it would be ideal for the migration.

capair45
capair45
Expert
QT-Pro - 9 February 2021 6:20 PM
I will have to check with Macrium's site but I believe the trial version is good for 30 days with all functions fully operational in which case it would be ideal for the migration.

The 30-day trial version includes all the features except re-deploy.

Windows 10 Home (20H2)
Macrium Reflect 7.3.5550
Windows Defender

Beardy
Beardy
Proficient Member
Proficient Member (259 reputation)Proficient Member (259 reputation)Proficient Member (259 reputation)Proficient Member (259 reputation)Proficient Member (259 reputation)Proficient Member (259 reputation)Proficient Member (259 reputation)Proficient Member (259 reputation)Proficient Member (259 reputation)Proficient Member (259 reputation)
There's a fair chance your existing rescue environment (USB) will work with the new machine, worth trying, if so you can capture an image using that without worrying about temporary installs of the trial or free version, & just install the full one after removing the licence from the old machine. You might even be able to capture the as delivered state with no user accounts set up etc, a handy image to have if you ever later sell or give the new machine away.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search