Warning of What After Interim Backups

Author
Bewildered
New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
For the past three days, the late afternoon interim backup sends a notification  that is has started, then one after the backup completes, a warning, yet if I look at the backup schedule, it shows that all three days the interim backup has been successful. This morning's full backup  ran and the second notification was that it was successful;; no warning was indicated.

I copied yesterday's interim log into Word Perfect, and also copied today's full backup log. I then ran a document compare, which shows that Shadow Copies, Snapshot IDs, and Creation Times are different in the two logs. Other than that, I don't see any indication of problems; however, I am not a trained reader of such arcane information.

So far, I have not found what the notification warning is about. What else might I provide, if anything, and/or can someone provide a clue as to what the warning is about,, what to do about it?

Bewildered
Bewildered
New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)
I just found the problem when I returned to Reflect and opened the Image ID for yesterday's interim update; what I found was this:

Merging ,A574C86B2DB31B85-05-05.mrimgl into ,A574C86B2DB31B85-04-04.mrimgl
Warning: WriteFile failed - 112
Successfully recovered from failed consolidation

What needs to be fixed?

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)
I think that usually means that Reflect somehow lost write access to those files, even if only momentarily. Where are these backups located, i.e. on an external hard drive, a network share, etc.?

Additionally, backups that complete with warnings should be visually differentiated in the Log tab.  Completely successful backups should have a green icon with a checkmark in it, whereas backups that completed with warnings should show a yellow warning triangle icon.  So you shouldn't have had to do a text compare for that.  Is the log of the backup where you found that consolidation failure showing a green check mark icon?  Can you maybe post a screenshot?

Bewildered
Bewildered
Thanks for replying, it is appreciated.

All backup files are on an external USB hard drive.

I thought it was the last three days, but I only see two Log entries with the yellow triangle. Having never seen one before, I did not know what it meant. In the past, the only errors I recall were VSS ones, so I am at least somewhat familiar with those. I only did the file comparison in my efforts to find whatever it was the the warning notification was about. (At least I don't think that VSS errors do that, but it is entirely possible that they do; I don't really remember how I have been alerted to a few VSS errors.)

As I wrote, I finally clicked on the yellow triangle out of curiosity, and that is how I found the errors. There will be another interim backup in some 31 minutes; I will look at that tomorrow morning, and report what I find (or don't find if the problem did not occur.)

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)
Ok.  If the problem is intermittent, as opposed to always involving the two files mentioned in the log snippet you posted, then I would suggest trying a different USB cable and/or port.  Even if the drive appears to work just fine in other contexts, consolidation operations involve heavy read and write traffic, whereas a backup only involves heavy writes, so the consolidation operation may be exposing a borderline condition that regular use wouldn't, including the actual backup itself.  If on the other hand the consolidation always fails when working with those two specific files, I suppose there may be an issue with the files, or with the drive in a way that affects the ability to read/write certain data blocks in those files.

The "warning" outcome was added with Reflect 7.2, so it's somewhat recent.  Prior to that, jobs that would now be considered to have completed with warnings would have been judged a success, but there were scenarios where that caused users not to be alerted to a problem that was worth fixing.  I suggested this new outcome a while ago for certain scenarios and Macrium implemented it in Reflect 7.2 in a more fully realized form than I had envisioned.  In terms of the effect of VSS failures, it depends on the failure.  If a normal VSS snapshot fails but Reflect can get a VSS snapshot that doesn't allow any VSS writers to modify the snapshot, then the job will have a warning outcome.  If it can't get a VSS snapshot at all, the job will fail.  Further reading on warnings here if you're curious.

Edited 1 February 2021 11:49 PM by jphughan
Bewildered
Bewildered
It is nice to start out the morning around 0600 hours local, when looking at Notifications, one finds that last night's Macrium Reflect interim backup was reported as "Success".

Thanks for the information about the change that alerted, as perhaps in my case, was not needed, but I'm hardly in a position to determine the need or lack thereof. Had it been a fire alarm instead, I would have responded, even if it turned out to be not needed or a false alarm; as a fire chief, that is a warning that I was qualified to handle. Meanwhile, I have started the Western Digital Complete Drive Test to see if there is a problem with the USB drive.

Bewildered
Bewildered
After seven hours, the WD test finished, showing no problems with the USB hard drive.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Ok, I'm not familiar with how the WD test works or exactly what types of problems it tests for, but good that it passed, at any rate.  If you continue to experience intermittent errors, I'd still suggest swapping the USB cable and/or port.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search