Unable to recover

Author
QT-Pro
Proficient Member
Proficient Member (202 reputation)Proficient Member (202 reputation)Proficient Member (202 reputation)Proficient Member (202 reputation)Proficient Member (202 reputation)Proficient Member (202 reputation)Proficient Member (202 reputation)Proficient Member (202 reputation)Proficient Member (202 reputation)Proficient Member (202 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
This morning, when using my Snagit screen capture software, I noticed that all my menu buttons were missing. I tried replacing them but they will not allow me to select them. I rebooted thinking maybe this was a bad Windows boot however the problem remained. I uninstalled and then reinstalled the software but still no change.

I then manually backed up all files added since Reflect did its daily incremental backup yesterday at lunchtime and rebooted in order to recover. The habitual select between Macrium or Windows did not appear. Instead, the PC booted straight into Windows. I inserted my rescue media and tried booting from that but I received the message "Boot Mgr Missing". I rebooted again and launched Reflect with the idea of recreating the Boot menu. Impossible, the Build button is greyed out, presumably because I already built it following the last update.

What can I do now in order to get back to yesterday's image please?

Edit:
Here's what's showing in the VSS Event log:

Event Data - 4 Items

Date:    30-Jan-21 11:46:50
Type:    Error
Event:    8193
Source:    VSS

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error calling routine CoCreateInstance. hr = 0x8007045b, A system shutdown is in progress.

Event:    13

Volume Shadow Copy Service information: The COM Server with CLSID {4e14fba2-2e22-11d1-9964-00c04fbbb345} and name CEventSystem cannot be started. [0x8007045b, A system shutdown is in progress.
]

Event:    8193

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error calling routine CoCreateInstance. hr = 0x8007045b, A system shutdown is in progress.

Event:    13

Volume Shadow Copy Service information: The COM Server with CLSID {4e14fba2-2e22-11d1-9964-00c04fbbb345} and name CEventSystem cannot be started. [0x8007045b, A system shutdown is in progress.
]

2nd edit:
I ran the VSS repair option but have since noticed other anomalies. For example, when I try opening files, Windows asks me to confirm the default application for that file. I tried several different file types and the same thing happened. This largely suggests that my registry has somehow been corrupted. Everything was working as it should last night before shutting down so I'm a little confused as to how this could have happened.

Edited 30 January 2021 11:44 AM by QT-Pro
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)
I'm not sure how to account for your system's behavior now, since of course there are a lot of possible variables, but I would suggest that you focus on getting working "external" Rescue Media on a flash drive or optical disc.  You should really have that at all times because there are all kinds of scenarios where that recovery boot option menu may not work, since that option depends on Rescue Media files existing on the drive and being intact, readable, etc.  If you don't currently have working Rescue Media but Reflect's Rescue Media Builder still works, then try creating new Rescue Media now and booting your PC from it.

QT-Pro
QT-Pro
Proficient Member
Proficient Member (202 reputation)Proficient Member (202 reputation)Proficient Member (202 reputation)Proficient Member (202 reputation)Proficient Member (202 reputation)Proficient Member (202 reputation)Proficient Member (202 reputation)Proficient Member (202 reputation)Proficient Member (202 reputation)Proficient Member (202 reputation)
I do have a Rescue Media USB drive but I have been unable to boot into it. As I said in my original post, when selecting F12 and then start via USB I get the message "Boot Mgr Missing".
I tried repairing VSS and then rebooting but the machine still boots directly into Windows.

Is it feasible to attempt restore from within the program itself using the Restore Image option?

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)
Yes I saw that you're having trouble booting from your Rescue Media.  But as I said in my original reply, if you can still launch Reflect, you still have access to Rescue Media Builder -- in which case you should try creating new Rescue Media or rebuilding your existing flash drive in the hopes of making it usable again.  Not having working Rescue Media should not be seen as an intractable problem.  If you find that your new/rebuilt Rescue Media still doesn't boot, then that is a problem worth solving all on its own.

You can't restore the Windows partition from within Windows, since Windows is of course running from that partition.  If you stage a restore of the Windows partition from within Windows, you get prompted to reboot into the Rescue environment, which relies on the recovery boot menu option.  That's possible because although that environment loads from a WIM file residing on the Windows partition, the contents of that file get extracted into RAM so that Reflect is running entirely from RAM, and therefore it is possible to overwrite the disk from which those files loaded.

Edited 30 January 2021 3:57 PM by jphughan
QT-Pro
QT-Pro
Proficient Member
I rebuilt the Rescue Media but then attempted to restore from the image from within the program. This was before reading your reply. Anyway, it told me it was not possible but that I would be rebooted into Win PE (presumably on the Rescue Media) which I accepted. Win PE began loading and then stopped telling me that a network controller driver was needed and it offered me the option of selecting one from within Windows/System 32/.

1. I had no way of navigating within that window but, using the TAB key, I did manage to change directory to the Rescue Media. There it claimed it found a driver but was unable to load it and it sent me back to System 32. Again, I could not navigate there so I closed the window and let Reflect go ahead with the restore. That of course failed giving "Error 2" (whatever that is?) and it then rebooted into Windows.
2. I went into Windows/System 32 in an attempt to locate the driver but there are hundreds and I have no idea what I am looking for.

So, for the moment I'm back to square one.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Be careful with what you presume. Rebooting into WinPE does NOT boot from any “external” Rescue Media. It boots from the recovery boot menu option, as I already said. If you want to boot from external Rescue Media, you have to tell your PC to boot from it. And especially now that you’ve found out that your Rescue Media doesn’t work, you should absolutely make sure that you can successfully boot your PC from external Rescue Media and that the Rescue environment loads successfully and is actually usable, which would include having keyboard and mouse input. That should honestly be your priority at this point, because if you don’t have working Rescue Media, there all kinds of situations where you would not easily be able to recover. Your system is messed up at the moment, but at least it still starts. If that weren’t the case, you’d have quite a bit more work to do in order to get working Rescue Media to even allow you to attempt a restore — which is why you should get working Rescue Media asap.

As for the network driver, open Rescue Media Builder, click Advanced, click Devices & Drivers, and post a screenshot of what you see there.  Please also specify what version of WinPE/RE your Rescue Media is using. That will be shown at the top of the main Rescue Media Builder window (not the Advanced area). 
QT-Pro
QT-Pro
Proficient Member

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Ok, not sure why you're seeing a driver prompt given that Reflect is indicating that a driver already exists in the Drivers folder that will end up in your Rescue Media.  But are your backups even on a network location like a NAS?  If they're instead on a local disk, then not having suitable network drivers isn't going to be an issue here, even though it may be worth fixing if you might ever need network connectivity in Rescue.  If you see that dialog again, it might be helpful to screenshot it in Rescue so that it's clear which of your 2 network adapters is causing the issue.  Screenshots can be captured in Rescue by clicking the camera icon in the taskbar and choosing where to save them.

In terms of not being able to navigate, since you mentioned using the Tab key I'm guessing that means your mouse didn't work even though your keyboard did?  Your Rescue Media is using WinRE 10 1903, so USB 3.0 support wouldn't be the issue.  You're not using a Bluetooth mouse, are you?  Bluetooth isn't available in WinPE/RE.  Mice that use non-Bluetooth wireless receivers, such as Logitech Unifying receivers, are fine though.

I'd suggest trying to boot from a Rescue Media flash drive just to make sure you're at least getting past the error you mentioned earlier.  If that works, you've already made progress.  If you then still see the network adapter warning, you can screenshot it.  And you can retest the mouse and/or try plugging in a different mouse if you have one.

QT-Pro
QT-Pro
Proficient Member
jphughan - 30 January 2021 5:16 PM
But are your backups even on a network location like a NAS?

In terms of not being able to navigate, since you mentioned using the Tab key I'm guessing that means your mouse didn't work even though your keyboard did?

I'd suggest trying to boot from a Rescue Media flash drive just to make sure you're at least getting past the error you mentioned earlier.
Backups are on an external drive.

My mouse didn't work, It is a wired mouse connected to an external hub. I forgot I also have the track pad under the keyboard so I will try that.

I will attempt to boot from the Rescue media again but that was not possible before so I can't see why that situation would change merely due to rebuilt media. Just so you know how I built the rescue media, I used the ISO option and then used Rufus to write that to the USB drive

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Why are you using Rufus?  You can have Rescue Media Builder build directly to the flash drive.  If your current Rescue Media build process isn't getting you usable Rescue Media, then remove complicating variables like that.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search