Suggestion - A way of browsing images directly on my QNAP NAS with some kind of viewer or Qpkg.

Author
ColinH
New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)
Group: Awaiting Activation
I do spend some time managing the NAS often from an Ipad or other PC using a web browser.  I cannot then actually explore the contents of the image files on the NAS even though I can see them all in File Station.
regards

Patrick O'Keefe
Patrick O'Keefe
Proficient Member
Proficient Member (367 reputation)Proficient Member (367 reputation)Proficient Member (367 reputation)Proficient Member (367 reputation)Proficient Member (367 reputation)Proficient Member (367 reputation)Proficient Member (367 reputation)Proficient Member (367 reputation)Proficient Member (367 reputation)Proficient Member (367 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Just a comment on this request.  I believe you are requesting Macrium to write code that would run on the QNAP NAS.  To do it well, Macrium would have to support models (i.e., multiple CPU types), and would have to perform regression tests every time QNAP upgrades it's firmware.  And to be fair, Macrium would have to support other NAS vendors, too (not all of which allow easy installation of 3rd party software).

The is a very big request.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)
Patrick O'Keefe - 30 January 2021 10:46 PM
Just a comment on this request.  I believe you are requesting Macrium to write code that would run on the QNAP NAS.  To do it well, Macrium would have to support models (i.e., multiple CPU types), and would have to perform regression tests every time QNAP upgrades it's firmware.  And to be fair, Macrium would have to support other NAS vendors, too (not all of which allow easy installation of 3rd party software).

The is a very big request.

Agreed, although Macrium has claimed willingness to work with NAS vendors on implementing Image Guardian support in their KB article on this subject.  That said, I don't know if Image Guardian support has been achieved on any NAS vendor's products, and Image Guardian support is arguably a much more valuable feature than the ability to browse Reflect backups within a NAS device's own UI rather than from a Windows PC that can connect to it.  That's not to say that I don't see some potential conveniences for the feature requested here, but even any required cooperation from NAS vendors was forthcoming, there's always the reality that engineering resources are finite and therefore feature requests always have to be considered in terms of cost vs. benefits.

ColinH
ColinH
New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)
Perhaps some way of using a web browser extension to read the image files.  That at least would be cross platform?  

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)
The image still has to be mounted somewhere. So either you need software running on the NAS to do that or you need to write a browser extension that can mount a file system on the client side within the browser. I’m not even sure the latter is feasible.
ColinH
ColinH
Thanks - you are probably right.  Still definitely on my wish list. Smile
Have a great day!

regards
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore