Macrium Reflect Installation Failure

Author
Sorrento
New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I haven't been able to install current update of Macrium Reflect on my laptop computer. Here's the Windows error message I receive re. Windows Start Menu: "GetLastError: 5". This is evidently a Windows Permissions error. Would appreciate explicit instructions on how to resolve this problem.

Attachments
Macrium Install Failure.jpg (18 views, 27.00 KB)
dbminter
dbminter
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (3.4K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.4K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.4K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.4K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.4K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.4K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.4K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.4K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.4K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.4K reputation)
Do you get this error when attempting to patch Reflect with the update function/button or do you get this when you run the full installer?  If it's the patch update that causes this, try running the full installer to update Reflect to the latest version.

This may be an older link, but try this to get the full installer: http://updates.macrium.com/reflect/v7/reflectdlfull.exe

If that doesn't work, go to macrium.com and select to download a trial of the software.  The page will give you a current Download Agent you can run from your computer that will get the most recent full installer for you.

Sorrento
Sorrento
New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)
dbminter - 28 January 2021 4:20 PM
Do you get this error when attempting to patch Reflect with the update function/button or do you get this when you run the full installer?  If it's the patch update that causes this, try running the full installer to update Reflect to the latest version.

This may be an older link, but try this to get the full installer: http://updates.macrium.com/reflect/v7/reflectdlfull.exe

If that doesn't work, go to macrium.com and select to download a trial of the software.  The page will give you a current Download Agent you can run from your computer that will get the most recent full installer for you.

Yes, I had the same installation issue (viz., "error getting file security") using all three methods: the update function in Reflect itself, the trial software, and the link you provided to the full installer. Running the install procedure as an Adminstrator failed as well, and in the same way. The existing installed version of Reflect (v7.2.4473), however, continues to work properly; it's just that I can't update it

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)
In that case, I personally would just go to that path and delete the Macrium folder.  All you'll lose is the Start menu entry, and if that's important to you, then a reinstall using the full installer will bring it back.  It looks like the permissions on the existing folder may have become damaged somehow, but deleting the folder should allow the installer to recreate it.

Sorrento
Sorrento
jphughan - 28 January 2021 10:34 PM
In that case, I personally would just go to that path and delete the Macrium folder.  All you'll lose is the Start menu entry, and if that's important to you, then a reinstall using the full installer will bring it back.  It looks like the permissions on the existing folder may have become damaged somehow, but deleting the folder should allow the installer to recreate it.

I went to the path: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Macrium

and deleted the Macrium folder, as you suggested. Then, using the latest Macrium install file: v7.3.5555_reflect_home_setup_x64.exe, I attempted to perform the installation, both as a non-administrator and as an administrator; but in each case, at the end of the install procedure, the  following error message was returned:

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)
Wow, even though the folder doesn't exist?  In that case I'm wondering if the permissions of your Start menu folder might be amiss.  The screenshot below shows the permissions of the Macrium folder on my own system.  It's accessed by right-clicking the folder, then clicking Properties > Security > Advanced.  What does yours look like?  If you don't have a Macrium folder, then do this for the parent folder called "Programs".  The item that's completely blacked out is my own user account.

Sorrento
Sorrento
Yes (thanks so much), the problem was that, under Windows' Properties for the Macrium folder in my Start Menu, the only "Principal" was myself. Hence the update installation failed. But after I added the Principal "SYSTEM" into the list and then re-ran the Macrium install program (v7.3.5555_reflect_home_setup_x64.exe), the installation succeeded and this update of Reflect is now running as it should!

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Macrium
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Glad you're sorted, but that permissions list is still not right.  The Macrium folder under Start Menu\Programs should have a lot more inherited permissions.  In the screenshot I posted, the entries for Administrator and my user account were inherited from the Start Menu folder, and the remaining 4 were inherited from C:\ProgramData\Microsoft.  Your folder there has inheritance enabled -- demonstrated by the fact that there's a button saying "Disable inheritance" rather than "Enable inheritance" -- and yet apparently the parent folders don't have the right permissions.  I'm not sure what might have done that, but if permissions are wrong at the C:\ProgramData\Microsoft level, that could affect a lot more than your Start menu, so I would at least suggest checking the permissions on that folder and fixing them.  I've included a screenshot of the permissions from that folder below.  Note that it does NOT have inheritance enabled from its own parent, but it has permissions defined that are meant to be propagated down to its child objects.  (Of course since you're a Reflect user, it wouldn't be a terrible idea to make an image backup of your C partition before doing this. Smile )

Edited 29 January 2021 6:11 AM by jphughan
Roland Stoller
Roland Stoller
Talented Member
Talented Member (117 reputation)Talented Member (117 reputation)Talented Member (117 reputation)Talented Member (117 reputation)Talented Member (117 reputation)Talented Member (117 reputation)Talented Member (117 reputation)Talented Member (117 reputation)Talented Member (117 reputation)Talented Member (117 reputation)
Something did some pruning in the permissions fig trees.  I wonder if a Repair Install will bring back the permissions.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  Ben Franklin revisited.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search