Duplicate recovery partition created by macrium rescue media

Author
Pub
Junior Member (62 reputation)Junior Member (62 reputation)Junior Member (62 reputation)Junior Member (62 reputation)Junior Member (62 reputation)Junior Member (62 reputation)Junior Member (62 reputation)Junior Member (62 reputation)Junior Member (62 reputation)Junior Member (62 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi. Macrium v7.

I used rescue media builder & added "Windows 10 RE" to Windows 10 boot menu.

now I have 2x windows recovery partition.
I used "Mini Tool partition wizard" to browse files in both partitions.
partition #4 has only windows files. #5 has a macrium folder + windows folder.

Seems to be duplicate right?
How can I safely remove and rebuild just 1 "recovery" partition with macrium PE built in?

* I ran CMD command: reagentc /info & confirm: Windows RE status is RE location is partition4
Edited 23 January 2021 6:21 AM by Pub
Beardy
Beardy
Proficient Member
Proficient Member (382 reputation)Proficient Member (382 reputation)Proficient Member (382 reputation)Proficient Member (382 reputation)Proficient Member (382 reputation)Proficient Member (382 reputation)Proficient Member (382 reputation)Proficient Member (382 reputation)Proficient Member (382 reputation)Proficient Member (382 reputation)
First question is, do they both work?

Entry points into WinRE
  1. From the login screen, click Shutdown, then hold down the Shift key while selecting Restart.
  2. In Windows 10, select Start > Settings > Update & security > Recovery > under Advanced Startup, click Restart now.
  3. Advanced options on the boot menu screen since it's now enabled ( I can't remember the exact sequence right now).

4. Do you get the Windows Recovery environment?
    If you use the Macrium boot menu entry do you get the Macrium RE?

* I ran CMD command: reagentc /info & confirm: Windows RE status is RE location is partition4

Is that "4" indexed from 1 as Macrium counts partitions? Or from 0 as Windows/DISKPART counts them?
    Just asking.

jphughan
    jphughan
    Macrium Evangelist
    Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)
    @Beardy Windows counts disks from 0, but always counts partitions from 1.  But for partitions, Reflect counts from 1 working left to right.  Windows counts from 1 in order of creation, which is not always left to right.

@pub If you want to blow that partition away, open diskpart, enter "select disk 1", which would be the disk that Reflect consider Disk 2, then enter "list partition".  The final partition will probably be Partition 5 even according to Diskpart, but verify that based on its size.  Then enter "select partition X", substituting the correct number.  Finally, enter "delete partition override".  Then in Reflect, go to Edit Defaults > Advanced and make sure your PE Files directory is somewhere on a drive that still exists, and then finally you will likely need to remove and re-add the Windows Boot Menu option in Rescue Media Builder if you want to keep having that available.

Beardy
    Beardy
    Proficient Member
    Proficient Member (382 reputation)Proficient Member (382 reputation)Proficient Member (382 reputation)Proficient Member (382 reputation)Proficient Member (382 reputation)Proficient Member (382 reputation)Proficient Member (382 reputation)Proficient Member (382 reputation)Proficient Member (382 reputation)Proficient Member (382 reputation)
    @jphughan My bad, though I did remember correctly you can't rely on the position in a GUI corresponding to the associated number.
    Pub
    Pub
    Junior Member (62 reputation)Junior Member (62 reputation)Junior Member (62 reputation)Junior Member (62 reputation)Junior Member (62 reputation)Junior Member (62 reputation)Junior Member (62 reputation)Junior Member (62 reputation)Junior Member (62 reputation)Junior Member (62 reputation)
    Just for clarity. This is not normal right?
    Macrium boot rescue option is normally added to the same partition as windows recovery partition right?
    What is the possible reason a second partition was created? And would macrium have done that?
    Or did windows do it?

Separate question, if I delete BOTH the partitions, and then create one new partition,
    then create "macrium rescue" boot menu, will it recreate the windows recovery also?
    Otherwise how can I do that? Recreate the windows recovery partition fresh & then add macrium.

Separate 3rd question. I see in macrium rescue boot menu add default option is PE.
    There is another option Win 10 RE WADK which says it downloads a version.
    That sounds like it has more drivers and features built in. Is that the better one to use
    jphughan
    jphughan
    Macrium Evangelist
    Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)
    Rescue Media Builder to my knowledge does not create partitions when you use the recovery boot menu option.  It can create partitions on flash drives if needed, but not to my knowledge on internal drives.  I'm not sure how your recovery boot menu files ended up over there, or even how that partition came into existence.

I wouldn't recommend deleting the Windows Recovery partition, because the recovery boot menu option in Reflect will absolutely NOT recreate that.  In fact if you delete the Windows Recovery partition, you won't be able to build Rescue Media using WinRE anymore (at least until a Windows 10 feature update makes you a new Recovery partition) because the WinRE option uses the Windows Recovery WIM file as its baseline.  But you can always delete Reflect's files because Reflect will rebuild them if needed.  They're just the file set for Rescue Media, but the "raw" files from which it assembles a Rescue Media build come from the WinRE partition (or WinPE files located in its ProgramData folder if you build with WinPE instead).

The default build option is Windows RE, not PE.  And the download option is PE, not RE.  You seem to have gotten those mixed up.  As I mentioned above, using WinRE causes Reflect to use the Windows Recovery files that are already on your system.  That saves you having to download anything and also means that you'll be building with the same Windows kernel that your main OS uses.  WinPE can be used to build with a specific Windows PE kernel.  This can be necessary if you're building Rescue Media to be used on other systems that might require an older or newer Windows kernel than you're using on the system from which you're building Rescue Media.  If you choose WinPE 10, Reflect currently will download WinPE 10 1709, regardless of which Win10 release you're running.  In general, sticking with WinRE makes sense, but there have been times for example when Microsoft's new Win10 release (and therefore its new WinRE release) contain bugs.  The initial release of Win10 1809 for example had a bug that broke Rescue Media's automatic driver loading at startup.  In those cases, staying current isn't necessarily a good thing, because people who used WinRE-based Rescue Media found that their Rescue Media broke after updating Win10.  And even apart from that, the WinRE environment gets customized on a per-system basis.  By comparison, using WinPE 10 as I said always uses WinPE 10 1709 (for now, anyway), and it does NOT get customized on a per-system basis before Reflect uses it.  Sometimes there's something to be said for using a stable, Macrium-tested "foundation" rather than the latest and (allegedly) greatest that gets customized per-system.  I personally use WinPE 10, because there's nothing in any newer WinPE/RE 10 kernels that I need in my Rescue Media.  HOWEVER, if you need WiFi support in your Rescue Media, you have to use WinRE.  As for drivers, Rescue Media Builder should take care of any drivers you need.  But of course verify that by testing that your Rescue Media works properly with all hardware you'd need it to use.

Beardy
    Beardy
    Proficient Member
    I truly can't remember what's "normal" the only system  64 bit UEFI system have periodic access to is my sister's & the alternate non Macrium backup system I also use for that omits some stuff, but that's all I can access right now, it alleges imaging, but isn't configurable with regards to partitions without drive letters & does it's own thing...

I'd not use the alternate, but.. I require a peer-to-peer backup system where I can capture a backup from a remote system * Macrium seem to ignore all requests for WAN  / peer-to peer functionality, no matter how often requested, going right back to 4.x & earlier with requests for things as primitive as an FTP target to save at..

I'm an old-fashioned luddite, I can follow what happens with MBR systems, but damned GPT/UEFI confuses me, it doesn't seem consistent, in spite of being deterministic, I suspect the logic for the determinism changes, at Microsoft's convenience.. just ignore this post I'm drunk.

Maybe I'll have something useful to say when sober.. I truly miss the functionality of crash-plan free.. or "Buddy Backup" which also appears to be abandonware though.. backing up to a friend/ family member appears to be forbidden in the modern world & you have no choice but to pay a "cloud provider" to store your backups even when you & your family outright own the space …
    Edited 24 January 2021 2:28 AM by Beardy
    GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
    Search