After a crash and using the free version of Macrium, I cloned to new 1tb ssd all was used. I want to...

After a crash and using the free version of Macrium, I cloned to new...
Author
chiptransisto
New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I now have the paid version of Macrium. As the title says, my first experience with recovering from a crash was with the free version. It would not use all of the drive since my crashed disk was only 250gb. I want to use the whole 1tb of my new SSD since the 250GB partition is filling up.
Will I have to buy a new 1TB SSD then use my paid version of Macrium to clone the current C: drive to use all the new drive and not just the first 250GB?
Or is there a way to expand my current partition to take care of all of the 1TB space?
Froggie
Froggie
Macrium Hero
Macrium Hero (2.1K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.1K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.1K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.1K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.1K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.1K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.1K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.1K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.1K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.1K reputation)
During your restoration operation, in the "Drag partitions" window, after you drag a partition into the target disk's pace, a LINK is available at the bottom of that window called "Restored partition properties."  That sub-window will allow you to expand/contract your new partition during the restoration process.
chiptransisto
chiptransisto
New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)
Thanks. Will I have to buy a new drive then? I can't resize my current drive?
Beardy
Beardy
Proficient Member
Proficient Member (257 reputation)Proficient Member (257 reputation)Proficient Member (257 reputation)Proficient Member (257 reputation)Proficient Member (257 reputation)Proficient Member (257 reputation)Proficient Member (257 reputation)Proficient Member (257 reputation)Proficient Member (257 reputation)Proficient Member (257 reputation)
It's certainly possible, & you could have done it originally, unfortunately the method isn't so obvious there.
Without a screen shot of the current layout, the easiest method is hard to be sure of.
If your C partition is the end one you can just use Windows disk management to expand it, if it has a partition after it it's a bit more complex, but you only need an external drive with enough space to store an image of your drive as it is.

You want such storage anyway for ongoing backups, an external hard drive suits most people, they can be quite inexpensive, it doesn't need to be an ssd & there isn't that much advantage to them for external backup storage apart from withstanding bumps or knocks much better.

During either an image restore or clone operation, instead of just clicking next, you drag the partitions down from the source to the destination one at a time, when you get to the C drive, you click "restored partition properties" expand it to leave just enough empty at the end for the partition after, then drag that down.  If you'd known you could have done that first time round, the free version allows it.

You could theoretically use a third party disk management software like GParted to move the end partition & expand the Windows one without needing external storage, only you really need a backup before starting something like that in case something goes wrong, & once you have the backup, you don't need GParted anymore because you can restore as described above...
chiptransisto
chiptransisto
Thanks for your help. I have plenty of external drive space. I think I will just need to buy a new 1tb ssd and clone my current c: drive.
Thanks again.
Beardy
Beardy
Proficient Member
Proficient Member (257 reputation)Proficient Member (257 reputation)Proficient Member (257 reputation)Proficient Member (257 reputation)Proficient Member (257 reputation)Proficient Member (257 reputation)Proficient Member (257 reputation)Proficient Member (257 reputation)Proficient Member (257 reputation)Proficient Member (257 reputation)
Why? Just image it, then restore the image back to it, adjusting partition sizes as you go.
Seekforever
Seekforever
Expert
Expert (892 reputation)Expert (892 reputation)Expert (892 reputation)Expert (892 reputation)Expert (892 reputation)Expert (892 reputation)Expert (892 reputation)Expert (892 reputation)Expert (892 reputation)Expert (892 reputation)
Group: Awaiting Activation
I would do as Beardy suggests. There is nothing on your current 1TB that is cast in stone and can't be changed. Make an image and restore the partitions in order adjusting the size of the one(s) you want to make bigger (or smaller) as you go. It is best you keep the partitions in the same order so you don't have something further to address.
I always do this type of work with an image rather than the cloning process even thought the cloning should be a bit faster. Imaging is more familiar since I'm always imaging.
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)
@chiptransisto If it helps, Macrium's online user guide has documentation for how to do this.  Otherwise, I put together a step-by-step tutorial for cloning a smaller source disk to a larger destination while using all available space over here.  It would also work for an image restore scenario except the Cloned Partition Properties item will be called Restored Partition Properties.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search