MBR-MBR clone (new pc) "Inaccessible_boot_device"

Author
Pub
Junior Member (53 reputation)Junior Member (53 reputation)Junior Member (53 reputation)Junior Member (53 reputation)Junior Member (53 reputation)Junior Member (53 reputation)Junior Member (53 reputation)Junior Member (53 reputation)Junior Member (53 reputation)Junior Member (53 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi
cloned an entire drive (HDD SATA to HDD SATA - DID NOT USE NVME TO AVOID ISSUE)
new motherboard cpu etc. (new hardware)

drive has 3 partitions (in order)
#1 = 100MB boot partition
#2 =  Primary windows partition 
#3 = 450mb partition assume recovery environment.

After clone boot:
1. Windows 10 boot logo starts. (good you think it's working)
2. error blue screen "inaccessible_boot_device"

reboot to Macrium Rescue 7.2.4808 via usb (I think it booting in legacy / uefi mode not sure which or how to check).
1. click "fix boot problems"
2. click windows installation in c:\Windows
3. Set active partition to C:  (IS THIS CORRECT? OR SHOULD IT BE SET TO THE 100MB BOOT PARTITION?)
4. Check all the options
5. Fix starts. Tick on most but set partition boot sector fails. Create BCD succeed.
6. Bios now shows a "Windows Boot Manager" device to boot from

6. Reboot normally: black screen flashes few times & new error "Windows boot manager"
"Windows failed to start. "
File: \BOOT\BCD\
Configuration file is missing etc.

So Macrium "fix boot problems" broke the system further
What can I try here?
Should I try manually creating the boot record with diskpart?
I tried this yesterday and did not succeed.
Should I try redeploy hardware? I don't see point of that because this is a boot bcd issue now and is related to Macriums modifications.

I can reclone & restart the process entirely but what do I do differently next time to fix the "inaccessible_boot_device"
I've read many threads & discussions here about this yesterday but didn't find any solution that worked for me

Is this related to the old hardware (6 years) bios being in legacy mode maybe?
I have tried setting new hardware motherboard (Asus) to legacy mode also but not sure if this made any difference.
I read here: https://faststorage.eu/how-to-clone-windows-10-from-sata-ssd-to-m-2-ssd-fix-inaccessible-boot-device/
That if there is mismatch in UEFI vs Legacy you get inaccessible boot device.

Thoughts??

Edited 21 January 2021 10:00 PM by Pub
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)
If you changed the PC, then run ReDeploy.  Chances are that the new PC requires a different storage driver to be loaded at boot.  Windows does not do that automatically.  For example, if the old PC had the Intel Rapid Storage controller enabled and the new one doesn't, or vice versa, you get that exact BSoD about an inaccessible boot device.  ReDeploy is expressly designed to facilitate restoring an image backup onto a new PC by making the changes necessary to the Windows startup configuration to allow it to boot.

(And moving from SATA to NVMe doesn't necessarily mean you'll have an issue, though there again you'd likely have needed ReDeploy.)

Edited 21 January 2021 9:04 PM by jphughan
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)
Quick add-on: Your new PC will also need to support booting in Legacy BIOS mode if you keep the MBR layout. Not all new PCs still support that, in fact Intel said they were planning to remove Legacy BIOS boot support from their CPUs in 2020, though I don't know if that happened. Macrium has a KB article showing how to restore an MBR disk image in a way that can be booted in UEFI mode, and Microsoft has their own MBR2GPT utility that can be used to perform an in-place conversion to support UEFI booting as well, if you need/want to switch. And you arguably should. For one thing, you'll get to use UEFI Secure Boot, which is a nice anti-rootkit mechanism.  UEFI also tends to boot faster than MBR all else being equal, and the GPT disk layout has its advantages over MBR too.

You might also want to update your Rescue Media.  7.2.4808 is 10 months old now.

Edited 21 January 2021 9:02 PM by jphughan
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Ok, last thing.  In terms of not being sure whether you booted your Rescue Media in BIOS or UEFI, that absolutely matters if you want to use Fix Boot Problems.  The way to check is to look at the title bar along the very top edge of the Rescue interface.  If you're in UEFI mode, then after the Reflect version and WinPE/RE version are shown, you will see "[UEFI]".  If you do NOT see that, you're in BIOS mode.  But that's important because the fixes that Fix Boot Problems attempts are based on the way you booted the Rescue Media.  If you boot it in UEFI mode, then it will attempt fixes appropriate for a UEFI system.  But if you've got an MBR disk, you'll be trying to boot in BIOS mode, in which case you'd need to boot your Rescue Media in BIOS mode as well if you need to use that wizard.  Bottom line: Boot Rescue Media the same way you will be booting the OS you're trying to fix.

Pub
Pub
Junior Member (53 reputation)Junior Member (53 reputation)Junior Member (53 reputation)Junior Member (53 reputation)Junior Member (53 reputation)Junior Member (53 reputation)Junior Member (53 reputation)Junior Member (53 reputation)Junior Member (53 reputation)Junior Member (53 reputation)
@jphughan thanks for all that.
I will try mbr to GPT later after we discuss further but first please check my original post screenshots added.
What do you think??

ALSO: Checked Macrium rescue is running in UEFI.
I am reburning it in MBR BIOS mode.

This means I was always using macrium rescue in UEFI mode.
Does it mean I have to do the restore process again? Or just the fix boot problems again?
Edited 21 January 2021 9:30 PM by Pub
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
The partition layout of the restored disk is fine for booting in Legacy BIOS mode.  The question is whether your system actually supports booting that way. Normally it would be a Legacy option, or it might be called UEFI CSM (Compatibility Support Module), or Legacy Option ROMs.  You'd have to refer to your motherboard's documentation for that.  I'm not really going to try to help with that working from photos of your display.

But that is a separate issue from needing to run ReDeploy.  You would need to do that even if you performed a custom restore to make the restored disk bootable in UEFI mode.  The boot mode and the driver set that get loaded are two different things.  You have to address both.

You don't have to "reburn" anything in BIOS mode.  Rescue Media can be made to support both BIOS and UEFI.  The way it actually IS booted at any given time depends on what you do with the system.  On systems that support both Legacy BIOS and UEFI booting, the one-time boot menu will typically show a Rescue Media flash drive twice, with one entry corresponding to a BIOS mode boot option and the other corresponding to a UEFI Boot mode option for that same device.  You have to select the correct one.

If you get your system supporting Legacy BIOS booting and confirm that your Rescue Media is NOT booted in UEFI mode, again you will STILL need to run ReDeploy.  That is NOT a substitute for Fix Boot Problems or figuring out BIOS vs. UEFI booting.  ReDeploy is designed to solve a completely different aspect of this scenario.  AFTER you run ReDeploy, you may find that your system boots as expected already  If not, then go back to Rescue Media, confirm it is NOT in UEFI mode, and run Fix Boot Problems again. But again, this all assumes your motherboard can be configured to allow Legacy BIOS booting in the first place.  If not, you'll need to perform a different restore procedure, which will require running the entire restore again in a different way.

Pub
Pub
@jphughan

OK
1. Ran macrium rescue in BIOS mode.
2. "Redeploy hardware" - assigned sata controller.
3. Reboot. windows logo + spinning. Inaccessible boot device
4. Macrium rescue bios mode

5. "Fix boot problems" - Set window drive c:\ & set active partition to the 100MB BOOT partition (this is correct right?)
6. Reboot. windows logo + spinning. inaccessible boot device again

I'm really not sure what's going on here this is not making any sense.
If you click on the screenshots you can see the bios settings clearer.

i have already set the boot modes to UEFI AND LEGACY and for the other devices set legacy.
This shouldn't still be happening.

What is the other restore method you're mentioning? Should we try that?

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Ok, I took a closer look at that ReDeploy log, and I found two things.

First, you should consider updating your Rescue Media.  You're running 7.2.4808.  The release notes for 7.2.4942, which came out slightly later, include this item:
ReDeploy
Some customers have noticed poor CPU performance after redeploying to new hardware. ReDeploy has been improved to only reset CPU drivers if a CPU change is detected

Your ReDeploy log includes changing the IntelPPM service to 4 (Disabled).  If you did NOT switch to an AMD CPU, then that service change is likely to cause the bug that was fixed in the newer release.  I actually raised the bug report about this issue with Macrium, based on issues encountered by a couple of other people here.  Like I said, your Rescue Media is using a Reflect version that's 10 months old.  Sometimes fixes are important. Smile

And second, I see that the Intel Rapid Storage controller driver (IaStorV) is mentioned.  In that case, it's possible that both your old and new PCs use the Intel Rapid Storage controller, but your old PC's Rapid Storage driver is too old to be usable on the new system's controller generation.  Intel made the annoying decision to assign all generations of its Rapid Storage controller the same PCI Device ID, which means that any Rapid Storage driver will technically be considered valid for any Rapid Storage controller, even if that driver will not in fact work properly.  So if you still have your old PC available, you might need to update the Rapid Storage driver on that PC (you can get it from Intel) and then make a new backup so that the image you restore contains it.  Alternatively, you may be able to have ReDeploy inject it for you if you want to get the raw driver package and supply it during the ReDeploy process.

So to recap, build new Rescue Media from the latest version of Reflect and update your Intel RST driver on the source system.  Then perform the restore from that new backup, run ReDeploy, then if needed also run Fix Boot Problems.

As for the alternate restore method, I don't think that's the issue.  Your photos mention that Legacy OPROM is on, so Legacy BIOS booting is allowed, and if that was the issue you wouldn't even get as far as the Windows BSoD.  So the UEFI conversion can wait until later.

Edited 21 January 2021 10:30 PM by jphughan
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
@pub One other quick note.  Starting with Reflect 7.2, Macrium added a screenshot capability to Rescue Media.  Just click the camera icon in the taskbar.  You'll capture a full screen screenshot, and then you'll see a prompt asking where to save that file, which can be a flash drive, hard drive, etc.  The resulting file will be much smaller and much more readable than a camera photo of your display.

Beardy
Beardy
Proficient Member
Proficient Member (257 reputation)Proficient Member (257 reputation)Proficient Member (257 reputation)Proficient Member (257 reputation)Proficient Member (257 reputation)Proficient Member (257 reputation)Proficient Member (257 reputation)Proficient Member (257 reputation)Proficient Member (257 reputation)Proficient Member (257 reputation)

@jphughan That screenshot capability gets slightly less useful if you're a traditionalist who makes rescue media which boots from an optical drive..

"Someone with spindles of writable DVDs & never a spare USB stick to hand".

Though I do applaud your encouraging it's use, the output is clearer.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search