Cloning Backup Destination Drive

Author
Flyer
New Member (48 reputation)New Member (48 reputation)New Member (48 reputation)New Member (48 reputation)New Member (48 reputation)New Member (48 reputation)New Member (48 reputation)New Member (48 reputation)New Member (48 reputation)New Member (48 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I am currently using a 1 TB HHD as one of my back up destination drives. I will be upgrading that to an SSD soon and would like to know if after cloning the drive, will it still be a valid destination or do I have to do something else? And I assume cloning would be the best way to install the new drive.  I am using Image Guardian on that drive. Does that need to be turned off before cloning?
Thanks
Edited 21 January 2021 5:57 PM by Flyer
Beardy
Beardy
Proficient Member
Proficient Member (257 reputation)Proficient Member (257 reputation)Proficient Member (257 reputation)Proficient Member (257 reputation)Proficient Member (257 reputation)Proficient Member (257 reputation)Proficient Member (257 reputation)Proficient Member (257 reputation)Proficient Member (257 reputation)Proficient Member (257 reputation)
Just make sure it gets assigned the same drive letter & you should be good to go.
I can't say if cloning is the best strategy for replacing that drive, but it's certainly a sound one in most cases, there can be unusual circumstances that might indicate something else would be better.
Personally for an operation like that I'd run the clone using the rescue media for a couple of reasons:
1. It takes Image Guardian out of the picture without messing with settings. I don't actually know if it would interfere, I doubt it, since you're only reading data & using Macrium to do it, but I don't *know*, since I'm not using Image Guardian.
2. It provides a good test you have working rescue media, far better to find out any issues, & potentially fix them, on a routine operation like this than when you actually need Rescue.
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)
After the clone, the cloned partitions on the destination of course won't have the same drive letters as the source since the source partitions are already using those letters.  Image Guardian won't be a problem since that's a file-level task and cloning is a partition/block-level task.  Image Guardian won't prevent you from formatting a volume that contains Reflect backups protected by Image Guardian, for example, since that too is a volume task (though it requires admin privileges, whereas modifying Reflect backup files wouldn't necessarily.)

In terms of future backups to that disk, as long as you give the new drive the letter used by the old one and you're using Reflect's normal drive letter based destination targeting rather than unique volume identifier based targeting, yes you'll be fine.

In terms of using Rescue, if you were cloning your Windows disk, I would say that that suggestion can be worthwhile, especially if you have things like System Restore checkpoints you want to carry over.  But since you're just dealing with a data disk, I personally would have no reservations whatsoever cloning within Windows, in fact I do it all the time.  (If you're curious about the checkpoints thing I mentioned, when you clone within Windows, Reflect works from a VSS snapshot of the drive, since it can't work directly from the "live" drive on account of it being online and therefore subject to having its data changed during the clone.  But Windows can and does exclude certain data from VSS snapshots, including System Restore points and the Windows Search index database, the latter of which can grow quite large and can be rebuilt automatically if missing anyway.  By comparison, cloning in Rescue works directly from the disk rather than VSS since in that scenario, the disk can be taken offline to other access and therefore there's no need for a snapshot.  But data disks typically don't have data that would be affected by VSS.)

Flyer
Flyer
New Member (48 reputation)New Member (48 reputation)New Member (48 reputation)New Member (48 reputation)New Member (48 reputation)New Member (48 reputation)New Member (48 reputation)New Member (48 reputation)New Member (48 reputation)New Member (48 reputation)
Got it. Thanks.
Beardy
Beardy
Proficient Member
Proficient Member (257 reputation)Proficient Member (257 reputation)Proficient Member (257 reputation)Proficient Member (257 reputation)Proficient Member (257 reputation)Proficient Member (257 reputation)Proficient Member (257 reputation)Proficient Member (257 reputation)Proficient Member (257 reputation)Proficient Member (257 reputation)
After the clone, the cloned partitions on the destination of course won't have the same drive letters as the source since the source partitions are already using those letters.

If done from the rescue media, & the retired disk removed, my experience has been that you do get the original drive letter, it's only  "occupied" by the old disk if you leave it in the PC when you boot back into Windows. You can always reassign letters in disk management if needed, & as pointed out by @jphughan, it will be if the clone operation is done within Windows.

While I wouldn't hesitate to clone from Windows in terms of functionality either, any excuse to test rescue media is a good one in my opinion, even just for the practice booting it, which most users rarely if ever do, sometimes infrequently enough to forget how, or where that particular USB/DVD is located.

Flyer
Flyer
I may try both ways. I'm going to do the same for my wife's PC. 
Thanks
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search