New Version 7.3.5550 Restore Did Not Work

Author
Homer712
Junior Member (94 reputation)Junior Member (94 reputation)Junior Member (94 reputation)Junior Member (94 reputation)Junior Member (94 reputation)Junior Member (94 reputation)Junior Member (94 reputation)Junior Member (94 reputation)Junior Member (94 reputation)Junior Member (94 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I always test any new versions of Macrium Reflect, this morning was no different. Let the update install. Did a differential backup, rebooted and used the Reflect menu (I had updated that as well) to boot into recovery. Restarted the laptop and was booted (no sign in was required, which it normally is) into what looked like a fresh install of Windows 10. All the programs that normally load were asking for registrations and the entire desktop was completely different from what I had set up. Rebooted again, went into Reflect recovery, deleted the differential image I had just made and went back to the full image made on Sunday. That got me back to where I was and I did not again let Reflect update to 7.3.5550. May have been a total quirk, but this was the first time in years that I've had any issues whatsoever with a Reflect restore.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)
I only ask this because of Occam's Razor and because this turned out to be the answer in another case where this was discussed on this forum: Are you sure you chose to restore the backup that you intended to, i.e. the backup you had just created?  Someone else here was adamant that they hadn't made this mistake, and on further review of logs, they admitted that they had, and I have difficulty envisioning a Reflect bug that could affect the image backup and/or restore process such that both processes claim to complete successfully, and the post-restore system is bootable, but is vastly different from the system state at the time of the backup.  But if that's what you observed and you are absolutely, positively sure that you restored the backup you meant to restore, then I wonder if a Windows VSS quirk may be to blame here.

Pim
Pim
Proficient Member
Proficient Member (327 reputation)Proficient Member (327 reputation)Proficient Member (327 reputation)Proficient Member (327 reputation)Proficient Member (327 reputation)Proficient Member (327 reputation)Proficient Member (327 reputation)Proficient Member (327 reputation)Proficient Member (327 reputation)Proficient Member (327 reputation)
You could try to do a full restore instead of a delta restore. I have had about 3 occasions where the delta restore gave me a system with quirks or even an unbootable system, but a full restore solved it. I do not recall the specific quirks anymore, but they were similar to your experience. In one case I was even able to reproduce a delta restore failing, where a full restore worked well. I was very busy at the time, so I was not able to report it to Macrium when it happened. Unfortunately when I wanted to report it about one month later I had accidentally deleted the image file had the issue.

Homer712
Homer712
Junior Member (94 reputation)Junior Member (94 reputation)Junior Member (94 reputation)Junior Member (94 reputation)Junior Member (94 reputation)Junior Member (94 reputation)Junior Member (94 reputation)Junior Member (94 reputation)Junior Member (94 reputation)Junior Member (94 reputation)
The created images (be they full or differential) come up on the list in chronological order, and I also looked at the date/time to make sure I was restoring the differential created after the Reflect update and not the one earlier that morning prior to the update. But, as you say, and I'll admit . . . anything is possible.

What I'll do is update to 7.3.5550 and run another test this morning. If by some chance I end up with the same result, rather than just rebooting and selecting a previous backup image, I'll let everything settle down and grab the logs to post here.

Homer712
Homer712
Ran the test and the restore went well. But I noticed something (trying to kept track of things) and now have a question about the log files.

First image is of the Reflect window listing the available restore image files:

Next image is of the log window listing the backed up image files:

Last image of of the log window listing the restores:

So the question is (seeing how I did an image backup this morning to perform the test) why isn't there an entry for this morning's image backup (or yesterday's, the day before, and as well as the full image I do every Sunday), but there are entries for the restores that I performed?

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)
When you restore an image, Reflect seems to add a restore log entry into its Logs folder on the Windows partition if that partition is available within Rescue (i.e. not encrypted and locked, for example).  So records of image backups that occurred after the time of the backup you just restored wouldn't exist since of course they hadn't happened as of the time of the backup you just restored, but the record of the restore itself gets added after the restore completes.

Homer712
Homer712
What happened back on January 18th (first post on this subject) happened again today. I was going to try out a new piece of software so I did a differential image this morning. Installed the software, played with it a bit and decided that it wasn't for me. Did a restart, clicked on the Macrium Reflect menu and did a restore. Rebooted the laptop, booted into Windows 10 and although my normal background was shown, I got the spinning wheel and a message on the screen that said "Preparing Windows." Held the power button to force a shut down, powered back up, got to the boot menu, selected Macrium Reflect again, did another restore . . . and it worked perfectly.

I've been using Macrium Reflect for years, back to V5 I believe. And the only time I've had this issue (now twice) is with V7.3.5550. Could be something, could be nothing. Just thought I'd update this post.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
For clarity, when you performed the second restore after the hard shutdown, did you restore a different backup as was the case in your original post that started this thread, or did you run a second restore of the same backup?  Seeing "Preparing Windows" isn't unusual on its own since that can occur on the first restart after Windows updates have been staged for installation, so if some updates were queued for installation at the time you captured that backup, that could be completely normal.  But I admittedly wouldn't expect to see a different result after restoring the same backup a second time.

Edited 24 February 2021 7:27 PM by jphughan
Homer712
Homer712
Thanks for following up. Second restore was with the same differential backup that the first attempt (that resulted in the "Preparing Windows" message) at a restore was made from. As for the possibility of a Windows Update being active in the background while the differential image was being made, I have all Windows Updates shut down via a script called Sledgehammer. If you visit the Windows Ten Forums, it has a following there. Nothing gets through except Windows Defender updates, and those only by request.

The fact that the second attempt was successful is was puzzles me. I put it out of my mind the first time it happened because thinking there could have been an issue with the differential image, I went back one day to the full image that was made on Sunday, January 17th. This time I decided to first try the same differential image, and it worked.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search