How To Force A Build In Macrium Reflect Windows PE 10 Rescue Media

Author
Dypsis
Junior Member (93 reputation)Junior Member (93 reputation)Junior Member (93 reputation)Junior Member (93 reputation)Junior Member (93 reputation)Junior Member (93 reputation)Junior Member (93 reputation)Junior Member (93 reputation)Junior Member (93 reputation)Junior Member (93 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I went to create new Macrium Reflect v7.3.5550 Windows PE 10 rescue media.
It said I was using 7.3.5365 and needed to click on the Build button to update it.
But I changed my mind at the last minute as I received a phone call and decided to do it later, and so I clicked the Close button.
When I went back to do it, it was saying the version was already updated even though I hadn't clicked the Build button yet.

So, I thought it would be OK and proceeded to create my Rescue Media, but when I open the "Version" file in the root of the rescue media, it is still saying that it is "7.3.5365 2020/11/26".

Is there a way to get the Macrium Reflect Rescue Media Builder to force it to update to v7.3.5550 ?

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)
While on the main Rescue Media Builder interface, hold the Ctrl key down.  That will expose a small arrow on the edge of the Build button.  Click that and you should see a "Force WIM Rebuild" option.  If it instead says "Skip WIM Rebuild", then clicking Build normally will already cause a WIM rebuild.

Dypsis
Dypsis
Junior Member (93 reputation)Junior Member (93 reputation)Junior Member (93 reputation)Junior Member (93 reputation)Junior Member (93 reputation)Junior Member (93 reputation)Junior Member (93 reputation)Junior Member (93 reputation)Junior Member (93 reputation)Junior Member (93 reputation)
jphughan - 19 January 2021 2:49 AM
While on the main Rescue Media Builder interface, hold the Ctrl key down.  That will expose a small arrow on the edge of the Build button.  Click that and you should see a "Force WIM Rebuild" option.  If it instead says "Skip WIM Rebuild", then clicking Build normally will already cause a WIM rebuild.

That did it. Thank you JP.
Wouldn't you think that option would be there without having to hold the Ctrl key down.
Or at least make it less hidden.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)
During the beta it didn’t have a visible indication at all. You just had to know that Ctrl clicking did something different. The suggestion to add a split button presentation and the Skip WIM Rebuild capability were both made during the beta by yours truly. Smile But the function is documented in the Rescue Media Builder KB page, and typically it isn’t needed anyway. My prediction is that if it were always there, a lot of users would ask, “What’s a WIM Rebuild and when might I want to force or skip it?” I’m actually curious as to what caused the behavior you described. It’s too late to find out now, but I’d have been curious to see what version was shown as the current WIM state at the top of Rescue Media Builder before you forced the rebuild. Because for your predicament to occur, it seems Reflect either would’ve had to believe the cached build contained the currently installed release even though it didn’t, or it would’ve known the build was outdated and somehow decided to skip the WIM rebuild by default anyway.
Edited 19 January 2021 3:31 AM by jphughan
Dypsis
Dypsis
JP, you know when you see the blue text telling you to press Build when it needs updating to a new version.
Well, after I pressed the Close button without pressing the Build button, then re-visiting the Rescue Media Builder, it was displaying in the text at the top that is was v7.3.5550 when I knew for a fact that I hadn't built it.
That is why after I went and created the new rescue media that I checked "Version" to be sure. And sure enough it was the old v7.3.5365. I am thinking that it may be a bug. Maybe someone can try to reproduce it.

By the way.
While I am on the topic of the Build button.
The blue text telling you that you have to click the Build button is a bit confusing because you have to click the Build button anyway to create the rescue media.

I have never been fully comfortable with the Rescue Media Builder layout since it had the makeover some time back in the early days of version 7.

Edited 19 January 2021 3:52 AM by Dypsis
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Well since I hadn't yet updated to 7.2.5550 myself yet, I just did it and tried to reproduce this issue by opening Rescue Media Builder, confirming that it determined a rebuild was needed, and then closing it without producing a rebuild.  I opened and closed it a bunch of times, but I never got it to say that the cached build was using 5550 when it wasn't.  Every time it kept telling me to rebuild.  I'm using WinPE 10 myself.  But I'm also of course only one other data point here.

In terms of the interface overall, I think it's a huge improvement over the version prior to 7.2.  The previous version requires something like 5-6 clicks to create Rescue Media, whereas Rescue Media Builder in many cases allows for single-click builds of working Rescue Media.  In terms of the blue "Click Build to update" text, I agree that the user has to click Build anyway, but I suspect it's there to address a case where a user might see an issue called out up there -- outdated Reflect build, missing WIM, driver needing to be added/updated, advanced options changed -- and say, "Rescue Media Builder is saying that my build needs to be updated in some fashion, but I don't see how I can do that before building Rescue Media.  I don't want to click Build and end up with a build that Reflect is already telling me needs to be updated."  And I suspect making the button say "Update & Build" might have been too much.  I see the "Click Build to update" text as something that will reassure some without creating any real problems for others.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search