Difficulty configuring rescue media for a new Dell Laptop

Author
Robtl
New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello All and thank you ahead of time.
I purchased a new Dell Inspiron 3793 laptop, although it actually will become my desktop replacement machine (10th gen Intel Core I7 1035G7 / 16 gb DDR4 Ram / SK Hynix PCIE NVME SSD w 256 gb / 2 tb / WD 20SPZX 2 tb HD).
I have been a Macrium user for years but this is the first machine that uses UEFI / not BIOS - my difficulties lie therein.
I created rescue media on a thumb drive and followed Dell instructions and succeeded in it showing up as a bootable option:

I used the line: \EFI\Boot\Bootx64.efi to provide the path to the *.efi file.
My problem is that when I attempt to restart the machine and boot it to the thumb drive, it doesn't.
Instead, I get a (Windows) error:  "Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart. We're just collecting some error info, and then you can restart. If you'd like to know more, you can search online later for this error: 
KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED.

Help! AND THANK YOU!
Regards, Robtl
capair45
capair45
Guru
Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)
Robtl - 19 January 2021 12:25 AM
I purchased a new Dell Inspiron 3793 laptop, although it actually will become my desktop replacement machine (10th gen Intel Core I7 1035G7 / 16 gb DDR4 Ram / SK Hynix PCIE NVME SSD w 256 gb / 2 tb / WD 20SPZX 2 tb HD).
I have been a Macrium user for years but this is the first machine that uses UEFI / not BIOS - my difficulties lie therein.
I created rescue media on a thumb drive and followed Dell instructions and succeeded in it showing up as a bootable option:

My problem is that when I attempt to restart the machine and boot it to the thumb drive, it doesn't.
Instead, I get a (Windows) error:  "Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart. We're just collecting some error info, and then you can restart. If you'd like to know more, you can search online later for this error: 

Help! AND THANK YOU!
Regards, Robtl

Welcome to the forum!
You say you followed Dell instructions.  Did you install Reflect on the new computer and create the rescue media from within Reflect?

Windows 10 Home (21H1)  Build 19043.1237
Macrium Reflect 8.0.6161
Windows Defender
Malwarebytes Premium 4.4.6

Edited 19 January 2021 12:39 AM by capair45
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)
When you just want to boot from a flash drive, you don't have to add a boot path to the BIOS Setup interface, nor should you.  Just press F12 during startup to access the one-time boot menu, which will allow you to choose to boot from a non-default device that one time.  For temporary boot needs like this, it's much easier to do that than add a boot item, muck around with your boot sequence, and then set everything back later.  The reason the F12 menu doesn't require manual prep like the BIOS Setup path is because the options presented in the F12 menu are dynamic based on where the system finds EFI bootloader files at the default \EFI\Boot\Bootx64.efi path, whereas the BIOS options have to be "registered" into the firmware.  (Incidentally, that F12 boot menu has existed on Dell systems for over a decade, even on BIOS systems, and it's easier to boot from USB devices this way on those systems as well, even though their boot menu rearrangement is a bit simpler than UEFI.)

If you get the same problem trying to boot from your flash drive, what version of Windows PE/RE did you choose to build your Rescue Media with?  That would be shown at the top of the Rescue Media Builder interface within Reflect.

Edited 19 January 2021 2:54 AM by jphughan
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)
@Robtl Unrelated to my post above and not even related to this specific issue, but rather to your system, if you weren't already aware, the Inspiron 3793's HDMI output is limited to 1920x1080 output, despite the fact that it launched in 2019 when 2560x1440 (HDMI 1.4) was considered table stakes and 4K 60 Hz (HDMI 2.0) wasn't especially unusual.  This is called out in this KB article here.  There's been discussion about this on Dell's forums, including contributions there from yours truly, but the short version is that the Inspiron xx93 systems were originally advertised as supporting HDMI 1.4, which should allow 2560x1440 60 Hz or 4K 30 Hz.  Then multiple users found that they couldn't exceed 1080p.  Dell responded by posting that KB article and then removing all references to HDMI 1.4 from the product pages and user guides/spec sheets of the affected systems.  The latter items then gained callout boxes indicating that 1920x1080 was the limit.  I mention all of this mostly so that a) if you encounter this limitation, you'll know what's going on, and b) if you decide that this limitation is unacceptable and still happen to be in your system's return period, you can do something about it.  Unfortunately the 3793 doesn't have a USB-C port that supports video output either, which might otherwise have provided a mechanism to run higher resolution external displays.  Instead, that port configuration of that system means you're limited to running a single external display, and that can't be any higher than 1920x1080.

Robtl
Robtl
New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)
capair45 - 19 January 2021 12:36 AM
Robtl - 19 January 2021 12:25 AM

Help! AND THANK YOU!
Regards, Robtl

Welcome to the forum!
You say you followed Dell instructions.  Did you install Reflect on the new computer and create the rescue media from within Reflect?

capair45
Thank you for your help! As soon as I read your post, I thought "oopsie". That is exactly what was causing my issue!
I made a new Rescue Drive using Macrium Reflect on the Dell laptop, and all is well
Best Regards, Robt
Robtl
Robtl
jphughan - 19 January 2021 2:52 AM
When you just want to boot from a flash drive, you don't have to add a boot path to the BIOS Setup interface, nor should you.  Just press F12 during startup to access the one-time boot menu, which will allow you to choose to boot from a non-default device that one time.  For temporary boot needs like this, it's much easier to do that than add a boot item, muck around with your boot sequence, and then set everything back later.  The reason the F12 menu doesn't require manual prep like the BIOS Setup path is because the options presented in the F12 menu are dynamic based on where the system finds EFI bootloader files at the default \EFI\Boot\Bootx64.efi path, whereas the BIOS options have to be "registered" into the firmware.  (Incidentally, that F12 boot menu has existed on Dell systems for over a decade, even on BIOS systems, and it's easier to boot from USB devices this way on those systems as well, even though their boot menu rearrangement is a bit simpler than UEFI.)

If you get the same problem trying to boot from your flash drive, what version of Windows PE/RE did you choose to build your Rescue Media with?  That would be shown at the top of the Rescue Media Builder interface within Reflect.

jphughan,
Thank you for your input!
If perhaps if you read my reply above to capair45, I had not allowed Macrium Reflect on the new laptop to create the Rescue Disk.
Once I did that, the machine immediately booted to the thumb drive using F12.
Best Regards, Robtl
Robtl
Robtl
jphughan - 19 January 2021 2:59 AM
@Robtl Unrelated to my post above and not even related to this specific issue, but rather to your system, if you weren't already aware, the Inspiron 3793's HDMI output is limited to 1920x1080 output, despite the fact that it launched in 2019 when 2560x1440 (HDMI 1.4) was considered table stakes and 4K 60 Hz (HDMI 2.0) wasn't especially unusual.  This is called out in this KB article here.  There's been discussion about this on Dell's forums, including contributions there from yours truly, but the short version is that the Inspiron xx93 systems were originally advertised as supporting HDMI 1.4, which should allow 2560x1440 60 Hz or 4K 30 Hz.  Then multiple users found that they couldn't exceed 1080p.  Dell responded by posting that KB article and then removing all references to HDMI 1.4 from the product pages and user guides/spec sheets of the affected systems.  The latter items then gained callout boxes indicating that 1920x1080 was the limit.  I mention all of this mostly so that a) if you encounter this limitation, you'll know what's going on, and b) if you decide that this limitation is unacceptable and still happen to be in your system's return period, you can do something about it.  Unfortunately the 3793 doesn't have a USB-C port that supports video output either, which might otherwise have provided a mechanism to run higher resolution external displays.  Instead, that port configuration of that system means you're limited to running a single external display, and that can't be any higher than 1920x1080.

jphughan,
Thank you for enlightening me.
Best Regards, Robtl
capair45
capair45
Guru
Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)
You're welcome!  Glad that worked!

Windows 10 Home (21H1)  Build 19043.1237
Macrium Reflect 8.0.6161
Windows Defender
Malwarebytes Premium 4.4.6

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
@Robtl Happy to help.  You shouldn't have to create Rescue Media on a specific system just to avoid that boot error.  I boot systems using "foreign" Rescue Media on a regular basis.  However, if the new system only supports UEFI booting, then the flash drive in question would need to contain a WinPE/RE version that supports UEFI booting and would have to be formatted FAT32, not NTFS.  Since you confirmed that your flash drive had a UEFI bootloader file, I suspect the former requirement was satisfied.  The latter requirement may not have been.  When you set Rescue Media Builder to create a "multi-boot" flash drive, it will require that the target device be FAT32.  If you do NOT set that, which would be the default state on a Legacy BIOS system, then NTFS targets are allowed.  The only other possibility I can think of would be if your original Rescue Media build contained a version of WinPE/RE that supported UEFI booting but lacked some other hardware support that was needed on your system.  I've noticed that some newer Dell systems for example will only boot the WinPE/RE 10 kernel properly and will fail when attempting to boot WinPE 5 (Windows 8.1 kernel).

In any case, glad you're all set.  But going forward, keep that F12 trick in mind, since it makes it much easier to boot from USB devices when needed

Robtl
Robtl
jphughan - 19 January 2021 5:32 PM
@Robtl Happy to help.  You shouldn't have to create Rescue Media on a specific system just to avoid that boot error.  I boot systems using "foreign" Rescue Media on a regular basis.  However, if the new system only supports UEFI booting, then the flash drive in question would need to contain a WinPE/RE version that supports UEFI booting and would have to be formatted FAT32, not NTFS.  Since you confirmed that your flash drive had a UEFI bootloader file, I suspect the former requirement was satisfied.  The latter requirement may not have been.  When you set Rescue Media Builder to create a "multi-boot" flash drive, it will require that the target device be FAT32.  If you do NOT set that, which would be the default state on a Legacy BIOS system, then NTFS targets are allowed.  The only other possibility I can think of would be if your original Rescue Media build contained a version of WinPE/RE that supported UEFI booting but lacked some other hardware support that was needed on your system.  I've noticed that some newer Dell systems for example will only boot the WinPE/RE 10 kernel properly and will fail when attempting to boot WinPE 5 (Windows 8.1 kernel).

In any case, glad you're all set.  But going forward, keep that F12 trick in mind, since it makes it much easier to boot from USB devices when needed

Interestingly, that is exactly what I did to create my (now solved) problem: I had created a rescue drive that functioned on all of my machines at that time. Of course, they were all BIOS-driven machines, which is likely why the thumb drive did not work with my new Dell.
Again, Best Regards, Robtl
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search