Restore

Author
throgger51
Junior Member (59 reputation)Junior Member (59 reputation)Junior Member (59 reputation)Junior Member (59 reputation)Junior Member (59 reputation)Junior Member (59 reputation)Junior Member (59 reputation)Junior Member (59 reputation)Junior Member (59 reputation)Junior Member (59 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I got the paid version so I could do File and Folder backup. Made a folder backup. When I tried restore, I had to browse for the .xml file but "Browse for image or backup file to restore" does not work even when I get to the folder where I see the correct .xml file is stored: "No items match your search."  Should I be browsing for the .xml file or for the backup on the external disk? And if one finds the .xml or backup, how does one pick one or more files from the backup to restore? No clarity in the help file.
  Reflect is too complicated to use for simple tasks.
Edited 18 January 2021 5:07 AM by throgger51
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)
The XML file is a definition file.  That is a tiny file that stores the parameters of a backup job, i.e. "Back up these source folders to this destination, use this type of compression and encryption, use this retention policy, etc."  You would not browse for that if you wanted to restore data, because the XML file just stores your settings for a backup job, not your backed up data.  The actual BACKUP files are mrbak files.  Normally when you go to the Restore tab, if you then click into the File & Folder sub-tab, you should already see your backups listed there.  If not, click the "Folders to search" link and add the path containing your backup files to that list, and then they'll appear.  You shouldn't have to browse for a backup file at all.  Once you've got a backup loaded in the Restore view, you can either browse the backup by mounting it as a virtual disk, or else use the Restore wizard.

Here again, if you're struggling with basic tasks, consulting the manual is likely to be illuminating.  This page covers the Restore wizard, and this one covers browsing a mounted backup.

Edited 18 January 2021 5:23 AM by jphughan
capair45
capair45
Guru
Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)
throgger51 - 18 January 2021 5:04 AM
I got the paid version so I could do File and Folder backup. Made a folder backup. When I tried restore, I had to browse for the .xml file but "Browse for image or backup file to restore" does not work even when I get to the folder where I see the correct .xml file is stored: "No items match your search."  Should I be browsing for the .xml file or for the backup on the external disk? And if one finds the .xml or backup, how does one pick one or more files from the backup to restore? No clarity in the help file.

I find it easier to restore a file from a file-folder backup by using Windows File Explorer. The link provided in the previous post (browsing a mounter backup) will help you understand that process better
1. Open the folder that contains your file-folder backups.
2. Right-click the file within that folder that you want to use to locate the file to restore.
3. Choose “Explore Backup”
4. Place a check mark in the box under “original location” (see attachment).
5. Reflect will then assign a drive letter to the file you have selected.
6. Clicking NEXT will cause Reflect to mount that backup file so it’s easy to explore.
7. Work your way through the folders to find the file you want to restore.
8. Once found, it’s a simple matter of selecting the file in the right pane and dragging it to a location in the left pane (e.g. the desktop).
9. When you are finished, be sure to un-mount the image by right-clicking the drive letter in File Explorer and selecting Macrium Reflect > Un-mount Image.

Windows 10 Home (21H1)  Build 19043.1237
Macrium Reflect 8.0.6161
Windows Defender
Malwarebytes Premium 4.4.6

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)
^ I agree. The only exceptions are if you need to restore custom NTFS permissions that were defined on the original source data, or if you need to restore files larger than 4GB. In either of those cases, you’ll want the Restore wizard.
throgger51
throgger51
Junior Member (59 reputation)Junior Member (59 reputation)Junior Member (59 reputation)Junior Member (59 reputation)Junior Member (59 reputation)Junior Member (59 reputation)Junior Member (59 reputation)Junior Member (59 reputation)Junior Member (59 reputation)Junior Member (59 reputation)
jphughan - 18 January 2021 5:21 AM
The XML file is a definition file.  That is a tiny file that stores the parameters of a backup job, i.e. "Back up these source folders to this destination, use this type of compression and encryption, use this retention policy, etc."  You would not browse for that if you wanted to restore data, because the XML file just stores your settings for a backup job, not your backed up data.  The actual BACKUP files are mrbak files.  Normally when you go to the Restore tab, if you then click into the File & Folder sub-tab, you should already see your backups listed there.  If not, click the "Folders to search" link and add the path containing your backup files to that list, and then they'll appear.  You shouldn't have to browse for a backup file at all.  Once you've got a backup loaded in the Restore view, you can either browse the backup by mounting it as a virtual disk, or else use the Restore wizard.

Here again, if you're struggling with basic tasks, consulting the manual is likely to be illuminating.  This page covers the Restore wizard, and this one covers browsing a mounted backup.

I clicked on Restore then Browse for image or backup file, but nothing is shown in the Reflect folder which contains the backup file on external drive. So I have had to go back to Windows backup since cannot restore. The manual does not cover what to do when no file is shown in backup folder, even though Windows explorer shows the backup file is there.
throgger51
throgger51
capair45 - 18 January 2021 11:53 AM
throgger51 - 18 January 2021 5:04 AM

I find it easier to restore a file from a file-folder backup by using Windows File Explorer. The link provided in the previous post (browsing a mounter backup) will help you understand that process better
1. Open the folder that contains your file-folder backups.
2. Right-click the file within that folder that you want to use to locate the file to restore.
3. Choose “Explore Backup”
4. Place a check mark in the box under “original location” (see attachment).
5. Reflect will then assign a drive letter to the file you have selected.
6. Clicking NEXT will cause Reflect to mount that backup file so it’s easy to explore.
7. Work your way through the folders to find the file you want to restore.
8. Once found, it’s a simple matter of selecting the file in the right pane and dragging it to a location in the left pane (e.g. the desktop).
9. When you are finished, be sure to un-mount the image by right-clicking the drive letter in File Explorer and selecting Macrium Reflect > Un-mount Image.

Capair, your method is very interesting but far too complicated to use in practice. I clicked on Restore then Browse for image or backup file, but nothing is shown in the Reflect folder which contains the backup file on external drive. So I have had to go back to Windows backup since cannot restore. The manual does not cover what to do when no file is shown in backup folder, even though Windows explorer shows the backup file is there. 
I am looking at a simple method to restore one or two files.
throgger51
throgger51
"Normally when you go to the Restore tab, if you then click into the File & Folder sub-tab, you should already see your backups listed there. If not, click the "Folders to search" link and add the path containing your backup files to that list, and then they'll appear."

When I click on Restore tab, there is no File & Folder sub-tab. One's only choice is browse for image or backup file to restore. When I browse to the backup folder, it is shown as empty, though it contains a my backup file. So what gives with this program?
How do I return it?
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
@throgger51 Ok, in case you're a visual learner, I've prepared the two screenshots below.

The first one here shows where the File and Folder Restore sub-tab is.  When you first click Restore, you are looking at the Image Restore tab, as shown here.  You need to click over to File and Folder if you want to see File and Folder backups.

In terms of the browse window being empty, if you are on the Image Restore tab when you click Browse, then the Type dropdown defaults to showing Image files, as demonstrated in the screenshot below.  You can click that dropdown to change it to File and Folder backups instead.  Or if you had clicked on the File and Folder Restore tab first, per the screenshot above, then clicking Browse would have defaulted that Type dropdown to show File and Folder backups.

Edited 20 January 2021 1:29 AM by jphughan
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
@throgger51 In addition to my screenshot-enhanced post above, I will note that the Reflect User Guide page that covers how to restore from an F&F backup, which I linked in my first post in this thread -- here is that link again -- specifically says to select the File and Folder Restore tab, even including a screenshot highlighting where it is.  I'm sorry you don't seem to find Reflect very intuitive, but the User Guide is a helpful resource when that situation arises.  So if your guess as to how to achieve a desired end result isn't panning out, it may be worth consulting it before jumping straight to dumping on the application, talking about returning it, and then waiting in the hopes that someone here will give you an answer that you could have found using resources that were already available to you.

Edited 20 January 2021 1:54 AM by jphughan
throgger51
throgger51
jphughan - 18 January 2021 5:21 AM

Thank you for the excellent response. I will try the wizards as I don't know how to mount a backup as a virtual disk.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search