How to do a full backup

Author
throgger51
Junior Member (59 reputation)Junior Member (59 reputation)Junior Member (59 reputation)Junior Member (59 reputation)Junior Member (59 reputation)Junior Member (59 reputation)Junior Member (59 reputation)Junior Member (59 reputation)Junior Member (59 reputation)Junior Member (59 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I recently got the paid version to be able to do Full and differential backups but have been unable to figure out how to do that. I would prefer to keep the product rather than return it but have not gotten any response from Reflect support.
capair45
capair45
Guru
Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)
Launch Reflect. 

In the left-hand pane, click on "Image Selected Disks on this Computer"  This will open a series of windows where you can make varying selections of the image backup. 

Select the target destination folder for your image backup (most likely an external disk).  Click Next. 

On the next page is where you can select Full, Differential and Incremental images and how many of each to keep. 

Continue through the other options and click finish.  You'll also be given the option to store this definition file for future use.

Windows 10 Home (21H1)  Build 19043.1237
Macrium Reflect 8.0.6161
Windows Defender
Malwarebytes Premium 4.4.6

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)
@capair45 The OP posted this in the File & Folder section, and the interface you're describing is how you schedule various backup types. It doesn't help you run one of those types immediately.

@throgger51 Regardless of whether you want image or F&F backups, what you need to do is step through the wizard, select your options, and click Finish.  That will cause a dialog box to appear with two options.  If you choose to run the backup now, you'll get a Full.  But whether or not you want a Full right away, keep the option checked for saving the job you just created as an XML file and name it something descriptive.  From that point on, you'll find that job definition file under the Backup Definition Files tab of Reflect.  Whenever you want to run a job on-demand, right-click it and select Run Now.  In there you'll find options for various types of backups.  You can also schedule them if desired.  And as a general tip, before contemplating returning the application over not hearing from Macrium Support over a very basic question of how to use the application, or hoping that you can ask the Internet and get a correct answer, you might consider reading the online user guide, which you can access from the Help menu.  Macrium's documentation is better than most, and they didn't write it all just to accelerate the onset of carpal tunnel syndrome. Smile

Edited 18 January 2021 2:49 AM by jphughan
throgger51
throgger51
Junior Member (59 reputation)Junior Member (59 reputation)Junior Member (59 reputation)Junior Member (59 reputation)Junior Member (59 reputation)Junior Member (59 reputation)Junior Member (59 reputation)Junior Member (59 reputation)Junior Member (59 reputation)Junior Member (59 reputation)
capair45 - 17 January 2021 9:45 PM

Thanks but I'm not trying to do an image backup. I know how to do that from the free version. I want to create a full backup with certain folders and save that backup so that I don't have to recreate it every time. I don't see how to do that.
throgger51
throgger51
jphughan - 18 January 2021 2:48 AM
@capair45 The OP posted this in the File & Folder section, and the interface you're describing is how you schedule various backup types. It doesn't help you run one of those types immediately.

@throgger51 Regardless of whether you want image or F&F backups, what you need to do is step through the wizard, select your options, and click Finish.  That will cause a dialog box to appear with two options.  If you choose to run the backup now, you'll get a Full.  But whether or not you want a Full right away, keep the option checked for saving the job you just created as an XML file and name it something descriptive.  From that point on, you'll find that job definition file under the Backup Definition Files tab of Reflect.  Whenever you want to run a job on-demand, right-click it and select Run Now.  In there you'll find options for various types of backups.  You can also schedule them if desired.  And as a general tip, before contemplating returning the application over not hearing from Macrium Support over a very basic question of how to use the application, or hoping that you can ask the Internet and get a correct answer, you might consider reading the online user guide, which you can access from the Help menu.  Macrium's documentation is better than most, and they didn't write it all just to accelerate the onset of carpal tunnel syndrome. Smile

Excellent answer from Macrium Evangelist. Perhaps I didn't clarify my question. I know the difference between a Full backup and differential backups. I am trying to figure out how to do a full backup the first time; and then make all subsequent backups differential until I choose to make another full backup. The wizard does not help one to do that. Reflect is good at doing image backups not File and Folder backups are not simple.
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)
throgger51 - 18 January 2021 4:54 AM
Excellent answer from Macrium Evangelist. Perhaps I didn't clarify my question. I know the difference between a Full backup and differential backups. I am trying to figure out how to do a full backup the first time; and then make all subsequent backups differential until I choose to make another full backup. The wizard does not help one to do that. Reflect is good at doing image backups not File and Folder backups are not simple.

The process is exactly the for image and F&F backups.  The wizards are different between the two, but everything I said above in terms of what to do after you click the Finish button of said wizard and how to use the Backup Definition Files tab applies to both image and F&F backups.  If you want to schedule Differential backups, then create a schedule entry only for Differential backups on whatever schedule you desire.  And then you can still create a Full backup on-demand using the method I described above.  If you want a quicker way to run a Diff backup on-demand, right-click your definition file and select "Create Desktop Shortcut".  You'll have the option of creating one that when clicked will automatically create a Diff.

The first backup will ALWAYS be a Full, even if you ask for a Diff or Incremental, because it isn't possible to create anything other than a Full when there are no existing backups.

Edited 18 January 2021 5:03 AM by jphughan
capair45
capair45
Guru
Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)
throgger51 - 18 January 2021 4:45 AM
capair45 - 17 January 2021 9:45 PM

Thanks but I'm not trying to do an image backup. I know how to do that from the free version. I want to create a full backup with certain folders and save that backup so that I don't have to recreate it every time. I don't see how to do that.

My apologies.  I missed the fact that you posted in the File-Folder forum.

Windows 10 Home (21H1)  Build 19043.1237
Macrium Reflect 8.0.6161
Windows Defender
Malwarebytes Premium 4.4.6

throgger51
throgger51
By trial and error, I think I am figuring out how to restore a file, though neither the manual nor Macrium help communicated this.
1) After browsing for backup file on external drive, you must select "Macrium Reflect Backup file", which is not the default.
2) Having chosen the correct named backup file, in order to choose individual files to restore, you must click "Restore Backup"
3) You can then select or deselect files or subfolders to restore.

This works but it it not intuitive.

I like Reflect as it is faster than Windows 7 backup. Figuring out how to do very simple tasks is a complicated task.
My next task is how to do a full backup followed by differential backups on the following days.

By trial and error, I have found this:
1) Right-click "backup definitions files" and then click Run Now. Then choose Full or differential. I don't know if this actually works, e.g., how does it remember which files were backed up. But this is my best guess for now. The experts in this forum are much better than Macromedia tech support. Even though I didn't get a direct answer, I got some good ideas to help me use trial and error. Thanks to the experts. If I can get Reflect to work right,  I will add the 4-pack version.
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
You don't have to browse for a specific backup if you actually go to the File and Folder Backups tab.  That will contain a list of all backups in the destination folder(s).  Or if it doesn't, click "Folders to search" and then make sure the folder(s) containing your backups are all there.  See my reply in your other thread for more detail, including screenshots.

Reflect doesn't have to "remember" what files were backed up.  When you tell Reflect to create a Differential, it creates it as a child of the most recent matching Full at the destination.  It determines what to back up by analyzing the contents of that existing Full and comparing it to the current state of the source data that you've defined for backup in your definition file.

I'm not sure how you contacted Macrium Support, but in the years I've been using this application, I personally have found them to be hugely responsive over email and on this forum.  And the responses come from the actual developers of the application, not customer support reps with minimal technical training.  That also means that when actual bug reports are submitted here, they tend to get fixed rather quickly because they're seen by the people in a position to address them.  Even enhancement suggestions sometimes get implemented as well.  I personally have submitted quite a few of each that resulted in fixes or changes to Reflect in an update that arrived not long afterward.  Their responsiveness and participation on this forum is a major part of why I'm willing to volunteer so much of my own time on this forum helping others and giving them feedback.  Unlike with most vendors, providing solid bug reports and constructive feedback has a decent chance of resulting in changes to the application, and therefore it's more likely to be worth my time.

Edited 20 January 2021 2:06 AM by jphughan
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search