Request for guidance in the creation of RAID 1 disk set

Author
richard.tomkins@gmail.com
New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I purchased Macrium Reflect 7. AT first I downloaded the free version and tried it and then purchased a license, but in the About box it still says it's the Free version even though the license is also displayed and the license enabled me to register in this forum as well. Must be a bug.

My purpose in using Macrium Reflect was to assist me in the creation of RAID 1 disk set.

On my HP, there is an option in the setup menu to make a RAID 1 disk set, but there is a caution in the literature that doing so will lay waste to all the date on the disks.

So, I am looking for some guidance.

1. I would like to image, the boot drive to an external USB drive and have it be bootable.
  2. Then, I would like to make the RAID 1 set using the setup menu.
  3. Then I would want to image the new RAID 1 disk set with the USB drive data and have the disk set be bootable.

• What should I read about in the Macrium Reflect Help that would give me more knowledge on imaging the disk and having it be bootable?
  • Has anyone done this and can they provide any guidance toward me doing this so that I am successful?
Why am I doing this you ask? I purchased a quantity of three 2TB disk drives with 15 hours on each of them for $60. They are all 5400 RPM and having the boot drive in RADI 1 will up the throughput / read speed overall given that there are two separate SATA channels in the PC. Not quite 7200 RPM performance, but, much better than one alone and given the propensity of Windows to spend so much effort in scanning stuff all the time, the impact on me with slow disk performance will be better. And of course, that external USB disk then becomes a solid backup device.

I thank you in advance for your assistance.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)
Regular Windows does not allow itself to be booted from a hard drive attached via USB, so you can leave that part out.  The only exception is Windows To Go, but that requires special preparation and enterprise licensing.  So what you should do instead is the following:
  1. Create Rescue Media within Reflect.  Then boot your PC from that Rescue Media to ensure it works properly and that it can see your internal disk and your external disk.
  2. If so, capture an image backup -- rather than performing a clone -- onto your USB device.  You can optionally do this from Rescue Media or within full Windows.  This will give you a single file that contains your source disk.
  3. Make any necessary disk swaps/additions inside your system, then create your RAID 1 virtual disk.
  4. Boot your Rescue Media and confirm that it can see the new RAID 1 as a single disk.  If it can't see any disk at all, chances are that you need to add the RAID controller driver to your Rescue Media.  This would have been done automatically if you'd had a RAID setup in the first place when building it, but that isn't the case.  If you have this issue, I can provide additional guidance there if required.  But if Rescue Media sees your RAID 1, then proceed.
  5. Restore the image backup onto your RAID 1 virtual disk.
At this point, try booting Windows.  If it fails, which is definitely possible in this scenario, go back to your Rescue Media and run ReDeploy.  That will tweak the restored Windows installation to set it up to load the RAID controller at boot.  Here again, it may require you to supply the RAID controller driver for injection into Windows if the ReDeploy wizard doesn't find a suitable driver already stored in the Windows driver library.  After ReDeploy, run Fix Boot Problems.  Now your system should boot.

Whether you see a read speed improvement running a RAID 1 depends on the RAID controller itself.  If you've never used an SSD before, I would really recommend going that route.  I realize 2TB of SSD storage costs more than $60, but it is unquestionably the single best performance per dollar upgrade you can make to any system for everyday use scenarios.

New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)
jphughan - 15 January 2021 2:07 PM
Regular Windows does not allow itself to be booted from a hard drive attached via USB, so you can leave that part out.  The only exception is Windows To Go, but that requires special preparation and enterprise licensing.  So what you should do instead is the following:
  1. Create Rescue Media within Reflect.  Then boot your PC from that Rescue Media to ensure it works properly and that it can see your internal disk and your external disk.
  2. If so, capture an image backup -- rather than performing a clone -- onto your USB device.  You can optionally do this from Rescue Media or within full Windows.  This will give you a single file that contains your source disk.
  3. Make any necessary disk swaps/additions inside your system, then create your RAID 1 virtual disk.
  4. Boot your Rescue Media and confirm that it can see the new RAID 1 as a single disk.  If it can't see any disk at all, chances are that you need to add the RAID controller driver to your Rescue Media.  This would have been done automatically if you'd had a RAID setup in the first place when building it, but that isn't the case.  If you have this issue, I can provide additional guidance there if required.  But if Rescue Media sees your RAID 1, then proceed.
  5. Restore the image backup onto your RAID 1 virtual disk.
At this point, try booting Windows.  If it fails, which is definitely possible in this scenario, go back to your Rescue Media and run ReDeploy.  That will tweak the restored Windows installation to set it up to load the RAID controller at boot.  Here again, it may require you to supply the RAID controller driver for injection into Windows if the ReDeploy wizard doesn't find a suitable driver already stored in the Windows driver library.  After ReDeploy, run Fix Boot Problems.  Now your system should boot.

Whether you see a read speed improvement running a RAID 1 depends on the RAID controller itself.  If you've never used an SSD before, I would really recommend going that route.  I realize 2TB of SSD storage costs more than $60, but it is unquestionably the single best performance per dollar upgrade you can make to any system for everyday use scenarios.

Thank you for that succinct and informative set of instructions. I shall now go off and read about the various things that you have cautioned me on and learn some more. It looks like I want to know more before starting down this road and that I should set aside some time to do this properly.
I worked for DEC (Digital Equipment Corporation) from 1986 to 2000 and managed VMS, OSF/1, ULTRIX and Windows NT systems for years, singly, in clusters and clumped as functional blocks, PDP, VAX, MIPS and Alpha. It's been some time since I was building RAID in various and sundry ways, but having done it before, I anticipate that past knowledge and experience with your guidance will turn out to be successful.
My neighbor uses SSD drives, so far he has burned out (wore down) three drives, and each time it was a sudden failure and I could hear the foul language from across the street. Ideally, a fast hard drive in RAID 1 with an SSD would be the cats meow, after all that was the principle of things at one point, different vendors devices mixed together to account for similar lifespan bathtub curves on different products.

Again, many thanks and when finished I will make another entyr here.

Beardy
Beardy
Proficient Member
Proficient Member (257 reputation)Proficient Member (257 reputation)Proficient Member (257 reputation)Proficient Member (257 reputation)Proficient Member (257 reputation)Proficient Member (257 reputation)Proficient Member (257 reputation)Proficient Member (257 reputation)Proficient Member (257 reputation)Proficient Member (257 reputation)
The only exception is Windows To Go, but that requires special preparation and enterprise licensing.

Microsoft have also dropped support for it from Windows 10 versions later than 1903, so not even the many online "tutorials" on how to hack an unlicensed version are likely to work anymore with just about everyone on 1909 or later even on the slow update tracks.

Ideally, a fast hard drive in RAID 1 with an SSD would be the cats meow, after all that was the principle of things at one point, different vendors devices mixed together to account for similar lifespan bathtub curves on different products.

Unfortunately most people find that's less than ideal, TRIM isn't generally supported, at least not with hardware or motherboard raid.  I understand it can be if you use Windows software raid. No TRIM does tend to shorten the life of SSDs though.  Such a setup would seem to offer fast reads, what happens to write performance when the HDD in the mix gets fragmented I don't want to think too hard about though.  I'd happily mix manufacturers, but I don't think I'd mix technologies, magnetic & solid state, maybe I'm just a luddite though.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search