File and Folder backup

Author
throgger51
New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I have been using Reflect Free and learned how to do disk images. I bought full version but can't figure out how to do file and folder backups. It seems I have to choose folders one by one. How can I chose an entire drive and remove a few folders?

Also, is there a way to do a full backup of two drives and subsequently do differential backups. The GUI does not show one how to do that. I paid $56 for full version but don't even have functionality of Windows 7 backup.
How does one create a full backup and get Reflect to use that info to create subsequent differential backups?
I would like to keep product but don't see the functionality.
Beardy
Beardy
Talented Member
Talented Member (144 reputation)Talented Member (144 reputation)Talented Member (144 reputation)Talented Member (144 reputation)Talented Member (144 reputation)Talented Member (144 reputation)Talented Member (144 reputation)Talented Member (144 reputation)Talented Member (144 reputation)Talented Member (144 reputation)
It seems I have to choose folders one by one. How can I chose an entire drive and remove a few folders?

Select it just like you would a folder in the select folder dialogue, then add your exclusions, I did this very recently when backing up my cheap Chinese SatNav prior to manually updating maps.
Also, is there a way to do a full backup of two drives and subsequently do differential backups.

Create your backup definition, save it, then either schedule subsequent backups or right click the definition on the backup definitions tab & pick to run now at whatever level (full, incremental, differential) you want on that occasion.

I also did exactly this on that SatNav as the internal storage & SD card appear as two drives...

Edited 12 January 2021 2:12 AM by Beardy
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)
See screenshot below for an example of how to create an F&F backup of an entire drive with some folders excluded:

The D drive is selected in the browse interface just like any other folder, and the folder exclusion field is populated just like the examples provided in the description below that field.

If you want to make a Full backup and do Differential backups later, then after you configure your backup, make sure to keep the checkbox to save your job selections as an XML file enabled.  Then when you want to run a Differential, go to the Backup Definition Files tab, right-click the job, and select Run Now > Differential.  You can also schedule backups of various types instead of or in addition to manual executions.  When you ask Reflect to create a Diff, it will automatically be created as a child of the most recent matching Full at the destination.  When dealing with F&F backups, what constitutes a "matching backup" can be configured in the settings of the job under Advanced Options > Backup Set Matching.  In general you'll want to keep the default though.

I'm not sure what confused you, but if the cues in the interface don't help you get where you're trying to go, you might also consider looking at Reflect's online user guide, which you can access under the Help menu in Reflect.  Macrium's documentation is better than most.

Edited 12 January 2021 2:23 AM by jphughan
throgger51
throgger51
New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)
This looks like just what I was looking for and will try it on weekend. " make sure to keep the checkbox to save your job selections as an XML file enabled" I did not understand but hopefully will become self-evident when I try the process.
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)
throgger51 - 22 January 2021 2:17 AM
This looks like just what I was looking for and will try it on weekend. " make sure to keep the checkbox to save your job selections as an XML file enabled" I did not understand but hopefully will become self-evident when I try the process.

It's the dialog box that appears after you click Finish.  The only checkboxes in that dialog are "Run backup now" and "Save as XML".  You can't miss it.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search