Can't enable Changed Block Tracker on C: Drive

Author
erostratus
New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello,

New Macrium user here. I set up Reflect on 3 machine, created daily imaging schedules, and everything works great. On one machine, however, I cannot get Changed Block Tracker to enable on my main C: drive, which is an SSD. I have a second SSD inside the machine and an external hard drive connected to it. Changed Block Tracker is enabled for both of those drives. If I open mrcbttools.exe, it shows driver version 7.3.5339 loaded for the C: drive, but all the other status are "Unknown." 

I've tried: using the installer to repair the installation (and restarting), enabling MRCBT from within the Reflect application, and installing the CBT driver from within mrcbttools.exe. It appears the driver is installed, but Reflect doesn't enable it for my C: partition. When I select "Enable Changed Block Tracker" for my partition, nothing happens. (When I try enabling and disabling CBT with other partitions, Reflect properly enables or disables CBT on that partition.) I verified that CBT is not enabled, both by looking for the icon next to the partition (not present), as well as reviewing the log files for the nightly backups. 

Any advice on how I can troubleshoot this further?
dbminter
dbminter
Macrium Hero
Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)
There are a few things I learned from experience and troubleshooting with tech support on this CBT issue.

First, try restarting the PC, if you didn't try that already.  I know it sounds simple, but, sometimes, a restart of Windows will enable CBT to start working for C: again.

Second, make sure you updated to the latest version of Reflect.  Reflect has had at least 1 update that addresses CBT not enabling on the Windows partition because of how Microsoft changed the shutdown code in Windows 10 2004.

Third and lastly, this is the nuclear option, if you're willing to try to see if it works.  Delete the current backup set, including all Incrementals and Differentials.  Or, if that's too scary, just try moving the files somewhere else; you can always move them back.  I've encountered a case where CBT absolutely refused to turn itself back on for a partition until I deleted all the backup files in the chain, made a new Full, and did a new Incremental.  All subsequent Incrementals have worked with CBT after deleting the old files.

erostratus
erostratus
New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)
Thanks for your reply. Of course, I have tried restarting many times, so that hasn't solved the problem.

I do have the very latest version of Reflect on all my machines.

I tried your nuclear option without luck. I moved the existing backup files to a different folder, removed the backup schedules, and then removed the backup definition files. No dice. I then restarted the machine and no luck. I used mrcbttools.exe to uninstall the CBT driver, restarted, used Reflect to reinstall the driver, restarted again, and still no luck. In every instance, all the other partitions show CBT as being enabled, except for the C: drive. It's kind of maddening, and I don't know what to do. On the one hand, I can still do nightly backups without a problem. But I'd really like to see the speed/size difference in incremental backups with CBT running. I don't know why it won't turn on.
JamieW
JamieW
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (350 reputation)Macrium Representative (350 reputation)Macrium Representative (350 reputation)Macrium Representative (350 reputation)Macrium Representative (350 reputation)Macrium Representative (350 reputation)Macrium Representative (350 reputation)Macrium Representative (350 reputation)Macrium Representative (350 reputation)Macrium Representative (350 reputation)
Group: Moderators
erostratus - 12 January 2021 3:43 AM
Thanks for your reply. Of course, I have tried restarting many times, so that hasn't solved the problem.

I do have the very latest version of Reflect on all my machines.

I tried your nuclear option without luck. I moved the existing backup files to a different folder, removed the backup schedules, and then removed the backup definition files. No dice. I then restarted the machine and no luck. I used mrcbttools.exe to uninstall the CBT driver, restarted, used Reflect to reinstall the driver, restarted again, and still no luck. In every instance, all the other partitions show CBT as being enabled, except for the C: drive. It's kind of maddening, and I don't know what to do. On the one hand, I can still do nightly backups without a problem. But I'd really like to see the speed/size difference in incremental backups with CBT running. I don't know why it won't turn on.

Hi @erostratus,

Please can you open a support ticket at https://helpme.macrium.com (referencing this post) so that we can arrange to collect some more information?

Kind regards,

Macrium Development

Next Webinar

Virginia McGovern
Virginia McGovern
Talented Member
Talented Member (151 reputation)Talented Member (151 reputation)Talented Member (151 reputation)Talented Member (151 reputation)Talented Member (151 reputation)Talented Member (151 reputation)Talented Member (151 reputation)Talented Member (151 reputation)Talented Member (151 reputation)Talented Member (151 reputation)
Check under Windows>System32>Drivers for mrcbt.sys is this all in uppercase or lowercase? If uppercase then change to lowercase.
Restart the PC then run an differential backup.
This worked for me.
dbminter
dbminter
Macrium Hero
Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)
I forgot about that.  It's a really weird case, but, yes, it has been known to cause a problem.  Shouldn't matter either way, but, apparently, it does in this particular issue.

Virginia McGovern
Virginia McGovern
Talented Member
Talented Member (151 reputation)Talented Member (151 reputation)Talented Member (151 reputation)Talented Member (151 reputation)Talented Member (151 reputation)Talented Member (151 reputation)Talented Member (151 reputation)Talented Member (151 reputation)Talented Member (151 reputation)Talented Member (151 reputation)
It was certainly strange to find that to be a solution for me.
The strange thing is I’ve checked recently & the file is all uppercase again but now works fine.
dbminter
dbminter
Macrium Hero
Sometimes solutions are strange.  For years, I used ZoneAlarm Free Firewall with Reflect with no issues.  Then, Macrium apparently made some kind of change in Reflect 7.3 where ZA was causing a Macrium Service to delay on start of Windows, resulting in no pre-schedule dialog windows and for scheduled tasks to run 5 minutes after their scheduled start time.  Once Macrium tech support told me to try removing ZA, I did and it solved the problem.  As I said, I'd been using ZA and Reflect side by side for many years.  So, it is strange where some solutions come from.

Virginia McGovern
Virginia McGovern
Talented Member
👍🏻
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search