comparing backups

Author
skypickle
New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I have been using macrium 7.3 for awhile now and it has been making backups. Unfortunately I have not kept a record of which applications and files I created between backups. Is there a way to get macrium to list what new documents and applications were added in each backup.? And also which applications and documents were deleted from the previous one?
dbminter
dbminter
Macrium Hero
Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)
Not after a backup has been made, no.  There's a Registry edit you can make but it only affects backups after it's made and significantly slows down backup time.

@jphughan maybe can recommend that one tool that lets you compare and contrast the contents of two drives.  You could mount the two backups as virtual drives and get that tool to show you the differences between them.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)
That app is called WinMerge, but it wouldn’t be a great way to list application installations. Reflect image backups operate at a data block level, which is even lower than the individual file level, so it simply doesn’t make those determinations when making a backup, nor does it provide a mechanism for analyzing existing backups in that way.

The registry edit exists and will result in an additional log being generated listing all new or changes files included in Diff or Inc backups, but Macrium warns that it can reduce performance significantly since that causes Reflect to spend time figuring out which file each new/changed data block it’s looking at relates to.
skypickle
skypickle
New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)
thank you both. I generally use beyond compare for comparisons but that requires I mount the backups as drives and that requires hyper-v. I guess I'll try both and see which is faster.
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)
Mounting backups as drives does not require Hyper-V. Only viBoot (running backups as VMs) requires that. The Browse Image function works just fine, even in Rescue Media.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search